Atwood's game winner propels Central to 53-51 Win

4 hours ago, Dick Vitale said:

Should have never gotten to that point...Ozen had a 12 point lead, and could have opened up an even larger cushion. SHOULD have...But I digress...Both teams have a long way to go, and as I said, they were less than impressive looking last night.

Both Boyd and Pearson struggled mightily until the fourth.  Both tried to force too much inside and missed a lot of opportunities finding open teammates.  That's a big reason why the game was AWFULLY stagnant until the end.  Atwood never looked himself after taking an eye gouge early in the 4th quarter.  Very sloppy game but worth the price of admission solely on the last stanza.  

I stand behind what I've said all year that Central SHOULD beat Ozen any time they play them.  The Panthers have some big vulnerabilities if pressured in the right spots as the Jags found in the 4th.  

But I have to commend Comeaux on a VERY gutsy performance, especially with the late injury and Boyd came up huge in money time.  Reminded me a bit of another Dove-like guard who wore blue and gold a year ago when he sank the contested 3 from about 25 feet with a minute to go. 

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Both Boyd and Pearson struggled mightily until the fourth.  Both tried to force too much inside and missed a lot of opportunities finding open teammates.  That's a big reason why the game was AWFULLY stagnant until the end.  Atwood never looked himself after taking an eye gouge early in the 4th quarter.  Very sloppy game but worth the price of admission solely on the last stanza.  

I stand behind what I've said all year that Central SHOULD beat Ozen any time they play them.  The Panthers have some big vulnerabilities if pressured in the right spots as the Jags found in the 4th.  

But I have to commend Comeaux on a VERY gutsy performance, especially with the late injury and Boyd came up huge in money time.  Reminded me a bit of another Dove-like guard who wore blue and gold a year ago when he sank the contested 3 from about 25 feet with a minute to go. 

Explain please? Cause from watching Central I think they have a lot more weaknesses than Ozen, for example 3 point shooting and guard play. One thing I will say about Central is they have plenty heart & grit...you can credit Franky Paul for instilling that in them.

7 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Explain please? Cause from watching Central I think they have a lot more weaknesses than Ozen, for example 3 point shooting and guard play. One thing I will say about Central is they have plenty heart & grit...you can credit Franky Paul for instilling that in them.

I somewhat agree...  You did accurately point out Central's weaknesses, imo.  But Ozen has just as much weaknesses as Central...  Hopefully, both squads can do a better job of fixing it or masking it to prepare for another deep playoff run....

10 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Still believe Ozen is 15 points better?

2 hours ago, stevenash said:

Still believe Ozen is 15 points better?

If they are playing fast paced, Comeaux healthy, Boyd being more efficient, other guys play their roles, big guys NOT shooting 15 foot jumpers, (I really didn't get that), focus on TEAM rebounding? YES. Maybe not 15 points better, but definitely better...Ozen looked GREAT in the Gamble Classic...They looked AWFUL Tuesday night.

1 minute ago, Dick Vitale said:

If they are playing fast paced, Comeaux healthy, Boyd being more efficient, other guys play their roles, big guys NOT shooting 15 foot jumpers, (I really didn't get that), focus on TEAM rebounding? YES. Maybe not 15 points better, but definitely better...Ozen looked GREAT in the Gamble Classic...They looked AWFUL Tuesday night.

When you list all of the "ifs" for  Ozen, why would a Central backer not come up with his own list of "ifs"?   This reminds me of the golf or tennis player who say they lost because the wind had an impact on their game without realizing that the opponent played in the same conditions.

Just now, stevenash said:

When you list all of the "ifs" for  Ozen, why would a Central backer not come up with his own list of "ifs"?   This reminds me of the golf or tennis player who say they lost because the wind had an impact on their game without realizing that the opponent played in the same conditions.

Because I SAW them actually DO these things during the Gamble Classic. Central is really not very good. They are formidable, but they are certainly not the juggernaut that some on here THINK they are.  Ozen played RIGHT in to their hands in the 4th quarter. Central is a gutsy squad, and their toughness got them over the hump, because both teams really played horrid, until the final 4:00 minutes or so of the game when adrenaline and desperation kicked in. 

12 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

Because I SAW them actually DO these things during the Gamble Classic. Central is really not very good. They are formidable, but they are certainly not the juggernaut that some on here THINK they are.  Ozen played RIGHT in to their hands in the 4th quarter. Central is a gutsy squad, and their toughness got them over the hump, because both teams really played horrid, until the final 4:00 minutes or so of the game when adrenaline and desperation kicked in. 

But the" could have been, should have been" scenario applies only to Ozen?

10 minutes ago, stevenash said:

But the" could have been, should have been" scenario applies only to Ozen?

I don't think Central has much more in the tank other than what I have seen.  Nijal Pearson is a one man wrecking crew.  He GETS it done.  Atwood is a pretty decent compliment to him, and the rest of them are just ok. They ARE very tough and resilient, however, from what I have seen. Ozen has really good pieces and when they are clicking they are pretty darn tough to beat.  

DV, could it be said that Central played horrible?  They did.  They were like under 10% from 3 point land and was missing a lot of scoring from Atwood after he got poked in the eye early in the 1st.  

Just like you said Ozen played great at the Gamble, I can say Central played great at the YMBL AND at the 2nd Aldine tournament...  Up until losing to a good Sam Houston 6a team...

Central has beaten Ozen TWICE... So maybe it's a matchup issue?  

Point is both teams played horrible and will need to get better before playoffs...

10 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

I don't think Central has much more in the tank other than what I have seen.  Nijal Pearson is a one man wrecking crew.  He GETS it done.  Atwood is a pretty decent compliment to him, and the rest of them are just ok. They ARE very tough and resilient, however, from what I have seen. Ozen has really good pieces and when they are clicking they are pretty darn tough to beat.  

Actually, many have said the complete opposite...  Prior to this game that is.  They say Atwood was a one man wrecking crew..(  he dropped 30+ vs Ozen the first meeting) and Pearson was a decent compliment, even saying that they didn't see the big deal in him...  Not really sure which opinion to take serious because each comment contradicts the other one.  

Anyway, just casual observation.  I just  want both Ozen and Central to do well...

1 minute ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Actually, many have said the complete opposite...  Prior to this game that is.  They say Atwood was a one man wrecking crew..(  he dropped 30+ vs Ozen the first meeting) and Pearson was a decent compliment, even saying that they didn't see the big deal in him...  Not really sure which opinion to take serious because each comment contradicts the other one.  

Anyway, just casual observation.  I just  want both Ozen and Central to do well...

Atwood would not score 30 without the threat of Pearson getting to the basket, drawing fouls, and scoring.  Nijal FINDS those guys and gets them easy buckets...He has a "Lebron" type role on that team, if you will...Not comparing him to Lebron, but that's kind of what his role is...Score, set the table, dominate when he has to and lead.  Atwood is a good player, but I still think HE compliments what Nijal does for him and that team.

2 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

Atwood would not score 30 without the threat of Pearson getting to the basket, drawing fouls, and scoring.  Nijal FINDS those guys and gets them easy buckets...He has a "Lebron" type role on that team, if you will...Not comparing him to Lebron, but that's kind of what his role is...Score, set the table, dominate when he has to and lead.  Atwood is a good player, but I still think HE compliments what Nijal does for him and that team.

I think they swap roles well...  Just like Ozen's Boyd/Comeaux tandem...  I've seen Comeaux drop 30+ and Boyd have a sub par game...  I've seen Boyd score 25+ and have a triple double in the same game and Comeaux score less...  

3 hours ago, stevenash said:

Of course you are right.   And there were plenty of "ifs" for Central.  They played as poorly as I've seen them.  The best I can say is that I've seen both teams plenty, Ozen a little more.  And if I'm picking who I would want to coach, it's Central.  Both have talent but Central has more to exploit on both ends.  

Bottom line is, more often than not in this game, the best team wins.  And there is no exception here.  They've played twice, the Jags won twice.  Ozen could steal the last one and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.  But I wouldn't bet on it.  All things considered, any time these two lace them up, Central "should" win.   It's close enough they will have a fight but they are simply better.   

And before I hear the litany of excuses bound to be forthcoming, I would refer those excuse makers to the respective scoreboards of the only two meetings this year...

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

As I've said, both are very good and offer their own pluses and minuses.  

But you are correct.  Everyone has an opinion and some would disagree with DV's and some would agree.  I know one high D1 head coach who has been the head man at 2 of the top programs in the county who would tell you precisely the opposite of DV's point. 

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I think they swap roles well...  Just like Ozen's Boyd/Comeaux tandem...  I've seen Comeaux drop 30+ and Boyd have a sub par game...  I've seen Boyd score 25+ and have a triple double in the same game and Comeaux score less...  

Exactly.  I've seen more than one instance with each duo where one has had to pick up the other on a subpar night. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

As I've said, both are very good and offer their own pluses and minuses.  

But you are correct.  Everyone has an opinion and some would disagree with DV's and some would agree.  I know one high D1 head coach who has been the head man at 2 of the top programs in the county who would tell you precisely the opposite of DV's point. 

Its all about perspective I guess, because I have really never been THAT impressed with Atwood....Don't get me wrong he is a big part of any success they will have, but I think Nijal Pearson MAKES THEM GO.  This is from last year to this one.  Again, maybe its just from the games that I have seen. But to suggest that these guys that you know is more knowledgeable than me, (you didn't say it, but that's the implication) simply because of a difference of opinion is just not accurate.  Its just that. Two different coaches' opinions.  From what I see, Pearson is the guy, and Atwood is the "other" guy.  It really has to do with team roles, more than overall talent or ability.