Atwood's game winner propels Central to 53-51 Win

5 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

DV, could it be said that Central played horrible?  They did.  They were like under 10% from 3 point land and was missing a lot of scoring from Atwood after he got poked in the eye early in the 1st.  

Just like you said Ozen played great at the Gamble, I can say Central played great at the YMBL AND at the 2nd Aldine tournament...  Up until losing to a good Sam Houston 6a team...

Central has beaten Ozen TWICE... So maybe it's a matchup issue?  

Point is both teams played horrible and will need to get better before playoffs...

Central hasn't shot the ball well from 3 all year long so thats not uncommon at all

5 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

I'm still waiting on someone to point out Ozen's weaknesses besides their size...thats the only weakness I can think of that Ozen has...

Their two main players aren't long and aren't tall.  Saw how Boyd had to hang in the air and double or triple clutch just to get a shot off in traffic?  See how Comeaux was least effective in the half court set vs. leaking out on the transition?  That's one..  second on the defensive end.  Their more athletic players are either too small or lack foot speed to say in front...  

I mean, nothing wrong, because Central also has weaknesses.  I believe I've pointed out some of them already....

6 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Their two main players aren't long and aren't tall.  Saw how Boyd had to hang in the air and double or triple clutch just to get a shot off in traffic?  See how Comeaux was least effective in the half court set vs. leaking out on the transition?  That's one..  second on the defensive end.  Their more athletic players are either too small or lack foot speed to say in front...  

I mean, nothing wrong, because Central also has weaknesses.  I believe I've pointed out some of them already....

Everything you said falls under what I already said "SIZE"

1 hour ago, Dick Vitale said:

Its all about perspective I guess, because I have really never been THAT impressed with Atwood....Don't get me wrong he is a big part of any success they will have, but I think Nijal Pearson MAKES THEM GO.  This is from last year to this one.  Again, maybe its just from the games that I have seen. But to suggest that these guys that you know is more knowledgeable than me, (you didn't say it, but that's the implication) simply because of a difference of opinion is just not accurate.  Its just that. Two different coaches' opinions.  From what I see, Pearson is the guy, and Atwood is the "other" guy.  It really has to do with team roles, more than overall talent or ability. 

I was not making that implication at all.  Couldn't agree more about perspective and a lot of times it's what you see on a particular night and what you are looking for.  The guy I mention has had some HUGE head coaching jobs in his career but I wouldn't say whether or not he is more knowledgeable than other coaches.  Just was making a point about opinions.  Wasn't discounting yours, whether or not I agree with you.  

36 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

I'm still waiting on someone to point out Ozen's weaknesses besides their size...thats the only weakness I can think of that Ozen has...

To an acute basketball observer, they were glaring.   I'm not going to tear down any particular players on this forum.  If you can't see it, we all understand ;)

4 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

To an acute basketball observer, they were glaring.   I'm not going to tear down any particular players on this forum.  If you can't see it, we all understand ;)

That's why I haven't answered.  I'm a different point this year...  I'm very close to both programs and the kids now...  

11 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

You can point out a team's weakness w/o tearing down players. Still waiting...

OF, there is a SLIGHT edge in skill set as well between Central's main guys vs. Ozen's main guys...

Ozen's main guys, 1 has really good basketball skills but not very athletic.  The other one is athletic through the roof but limited skills.  

Central's main guys is an equal blend of great athleticism and skill.  Plus, Central's main guys, imo, defends on the perimeter and at the cup a lot better than Ozen's...

1 minute ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

OF, there is a SLIGHT edge in skill set as well between Central's main guys vs. Ozen's main guys...

Ozen's main guys, 1 has really good basketball skills but not very athletic.  The other one is athletic through the roof but limited skills.  

Central's main guys is an equal blend of great athleticism and skill.  Plus, Central's main guys, imo, defends on the perimeter and at the cup a lot better than Ozen's...

Skills? No way Nijal can only dribble one way and has a limited jumper, TJ has a nice mid range game but is a limited ball handler and doesn't shoot the 3 well only slight edge they have over Ozen's main guys are that they are bigger(which goes back to size as I've previously stated) and more athletic. However I do agree with that they are better defenders but I don't think Nijal or TJ are more skilled than Boyd not even close actually. 

1 hour ago, ozensfinest said:

Skills? No way Nijal can only dribble one way and has a limited jumper, TJ has a nice mid range game but is a limited ball handler and doesn't shoot the 3 well only slight edge they have over Ozen's main guys are that they are bigger(which goes back to size as I've previously stated) and more athletic. However I do agree with that they are better defenders but I don't think Nijal or TJ are more skilled than Boyd not even close actually. 

Wrong.  Nigal can dribble either direction and can finish at the cup in traffic either hand...

What you say about TJ is true.  No argument there...

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Wrong.  Nigal can dribble either direction and can finish at the cup in traffic either hand...

What you say about TJ is true.  No argument there...

I want to say Nigal is left handed and can't go to his right nor can he shoot...I admire his tough toughness though he's got that dog in him. I'm curious to know why Ozen don't just sit back in a sagging 2-3 zone(if they did run zone on them I apologize I wasn't at the game) on Central giving their limited shooting abilities I would sag in that zone and make Central beat me shooting the ball instead of playing man allowing them to get to the cup and draw fouls.

7 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

I want to say Nigal is left handed and can't go to his right nor can he shoot...I admire his tough toughness though he's got that dog in him. I'm curious to know why Ozen don't just sit back in a sagging 2-3 zone(if they did run zone on them I apologize I wasn't at the game) on Central giving their limited shooting abilities I would sag in that zone and make Central beat me shooting the ball instead of playing man allowing them to get to the cup and draw fouls.

Central shoots better than y'all give them credit for.  One of the guards is water from out there...  And the first play of the game was a nice drawn up play to give Nigal an open 3, which he took and splashhh.  So, Nigal has worked on that 3.  Can't just let him take it.  And Nigal is right handed but like I said, can go either direction and finish either hand...

Just now, BMTSoulja1 said:

Central shoots better than y'all give them credit for.  One of the guards is water from out there...  And the first play of the game was a nice drawn up play to give Nigal an open 3, which he took and splashhh.  So, Nigal has worked on that 3.  Can't just let him take it.  And Nigal is right handed but like I said, can go either direction and finish either hand...

If I'm the coach I'm letting Nigal shoot 3's all game long if he beat me with the 3 I'll live with that...Central only has one guy that can shoot other than that I'm letting any of those other guys shoot the 3.

12 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

If I'm the coach I'm letting Nigal shoot 3's all game long if he beat me with the 3 I'll live with that...Central only has one guy that can shoot other than that I'm letting any of those other guys shoot the 3.

Not a bad game plan...  Let everyone shoot and pack everything else in...

2 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Nijal hit the three to start the game and then shot several more after that with no makes.  I would sag on him too.  Phillips was off and only hit one out of several attempts, although it came at a crucial time towards the end.  But he can normally shoot it.  But he is by no means the only shooter on the team.  From what I understand, the Arceneaux kid has been knocking down the three ball pretty consistently all year.  

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Nijal hit the three to start the game and then shot several more after that with no makes.  I would sag on him too.  Phillips was off and only hit one out of several attempts, although it came at a crucial time towards the end.  But he can normally shoot it.  But he is by no means the only shooter on the team.  From what I understand, the Arceneaux kid has been knocking down the three ball pretty consistently all year.  

Arceneaux....  That's the kid that I'm talking about...  He can shoot really good and that's the one that can stretch the floor really good. I've seen Phillips hit a few 3s this year..