H-F Under Investigation/CLEARED

PlayActionPass

I'm surprised this just now made it on here. I've seen it all over facebook, including the comments from parents who's kids were involved. Another article stated that more than 1 kid had been diagnosed with Rhab and 1 had to be taken to Texas Children with kidney failure. Some reported that is was a "Crossfit" type work out and that the punishment was for leaving the locker room a mess before going on Christmas break.

14 minutes ago, NDNation said:

I'm surprised this just now made it on here. I've seen it all over facebook, including the comments from parents who's kids were involved. Another article stated that more than 1 kid had been diagnosed with Rhab and 1 had to be taken to Texas Children with kidney failure. Some reported that is was a "Crossfit" type work out and that the punishment was for leaving the locker room a mess before going on Christmas break.

I, too, am surprised that this story has not been discussed here until now.

1 hour ago, PlayActionPass said:

Just felt like with all of the knowledgeable people on this Board that we could have an informed and educated discussion about something that is prevalent in many programs and rarely gets reported. 

I don't think anyone faults you for breaching the subject....I know I don't.  It is just that this is the type of subject...a child's health and a school district allegedly putting that child's health in jeopardy tends to draw some pretty emotional responses.

I, like you, hope that the discussion stays on an informed and educated level.  However, I must be prepared for the discussion to be charged with a bit of emotion.

Interesting that there are varying opionions of the difficulty of the workouts. As a coach, I'm not a huge fan of assigning exercise for punishment. I think missing a competition has been a much more effective form of getting through to a student(assuming this was an athletic period), rather than making them hate the process of getting fitter/stronger. 

I agree with the loss of playing time being the most valuable tool we have as coaches to punish, but it is hard in off season to find a viable option. I'm just not sure if using things described in this article are viable options either. Making kids work hard is counter productive in my mind. Encouraging, pushing, reminding them that how much playing time they get and how competitive they will be relies on how hard they work. But, if you have to make a kid work hard, is really ever going to help you win? Coaches, and I am a coach, sometimes go overboard in their desire to get kids to do the right thing.

2 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

I agree with the loss of playing time being the most valuable tool we have as coaches to punish, but it is hard in off season to find a viable option. I'm just not sure if using things described in this article are viable options either. Making kids work hard is counter productive in my mind. Encouraging, pushing, reminding them that how much playing time they get and how competitive they will be relies on how hard they work. But, if you have to make a kid work hard, is really ever going to help you win? Coaches, and I am a coach, sometimes go overboard in their desire to get kids to do the right thing.

Well said.

In Lumberton we went through some pretty tough workouts in Athletics. One was a boot camp style workout that lasted  about a month, or however long it took us to have a "perfect day". Many times I felt like I was dying lol and I hope Babin brings this workout back to the program.

Anyway, the coaches preached hydration. The body can achieve a lot more than we think it can, and we were taught to push our bodies past the limit. The first few days of Raider Camp we would usually do 100-150 "up downs" because of all the mistakes we made. And that's added onto the workout we were already doing. I like the article posted from the trainer. If someone is not properly hydrated then any workout can be tough on the body, and eventually cause problems such as dehydration. It's pretty clear that some people thought it was excessive, but at the same time you have players in the article also saying that it was not that bad. I obviously am concerned about the health of the kids, but I don't think coaches should be blamed for "overworking" the athletes.

Another point to consider is all the extra supplements that kids take nowadays. Creatine deprives your body of water by bringing it to the muscles (I'm not a scientist so forgive me if I'm wrong). An easy way to build muscle but break down the body if your not careful and don't take it correctly. Not to mention energy drinks that kids drink like crazy. Carbonated drinks.

My point is this: I just think there is so much more to consider before we put the blame on the coaching staff.

1 hour ago, ozensfinest said:

It's funny how you guys are suprised thats this is just making it on here, however I'm not at all surprised...I think if it would've been a BISD school it would've been posted much sooner lol smh

Again, your posts today show that you must lead a life of misery.  I hope that I never end up in as dark a place as you.

56 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Again, your posts today show that you must lead a life of misery.  I hope that I never end up in as dark a place as you.

Lol no I lead a life of reality...it was quickly reported of Tony being suspended from Alabama's team but you guys didn't want to make a thread about high school kids allegedly being mistreated by coaches? Makes sense I guess.

2 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Yes, yes.  The posters of this site JUST LIVE to expose everything bad about BISD while sweeping all indiscretions elsewhere under the rug.

Lol this is definitely not a BISD thing, you and I both know exactly what this is all about and this is a prime example of the bias and racist things that's been happening on this site for years...but carry on I'll continue to live my dark and miserable life.

Just now, ozensfinest said:

Lol this is definitely not a BISD thing, you and I both know exactly what this is all about and this is a prime example of the bias and racist things that's been happening on this site for years...but carry on I'll continue to live my dark and miserable life.

You know the constant playing of the whiner...er, race card, doesn't not paint you as oppressed.....it paints you as a whiner.  You think you would have learned that during your considerable free time in Nacogdoches, but I guess Steve Wariner had it right...some fools never learn.

10 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

You know the constant playing of the whiner...er, race card, doesn't not paint you as oppressed.....it paints you as a whiner.  You think you would have learned that during your considerable free time in Nacogdoches, but I guess Steve Wariner had it right...some fools never learn.

Mic Drop.

24 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

Lol no I lead a life of reality...it was quickly reported of Tony being suspended from Alabama's team but you guys didn't want to make a thread about high school kids allegedly being mistreated by coaches? Makes sense I guess.

The reason the post about Tony was up so quick was because of how quick the story was CONFIRMED. The HF issue was known for a few days and then when a news report came out then it was listed on this site because the rumor had been....take a guess here.....CONFIRMED! Posting rumors that you are 95% true can lead to bad times when that other 5% comes and bites you on the butt. 

29 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

What exactly am I whining about WOSgrad? Just calling things for what they are lol Seeing that you're a lawyer I would think you'd know the difference between someone whining about pointing out facts lol 

20 minutes ago, Gabe said:

The reason the post about Tony was up so quick was because of how quick the story was CONFIRMED. The HF issue was known for a few days and then when a news report came out then it was listed on this site because the rumor had been....take a guess here.....CONFIRMED! Posting rumors that you are 95% true can lead to bad times when that other 5% comes and bites you on the butt. 

I could give a lot more examples about things that were posted on here about minorities that weren't confirmed but still posted so please lets not used that as an excuse gabe you can come up with something better than that lol