JEFF NATIONS NAMED NEW HC/AD AT DAYTON!

If I were him, I'd just move on.  It is obvious that he will never have the respect of the folks in Dayton no matter what he does.  And the above statement if accurate is just the latest bit of evidence of that.  Really?  "Coach Hancock you haven't lost your job, but you have to re-apply for the job to keep it."  Why not show the man some respect, be straight with him and let him know if he IS or IS NOT the man for the job. But this treatment of Coach Hancock is typical as he is been trapped in a Jerry Jones-like scenario every since being named the head coach...yeah, he has been the coach but the AD is hovering so closely that Jowell Hancock has never been seen as the leader of this team.

Perhaps Jerry Stewart did the best thing for the Dayton football program when he resigned his AD role as I really doubt that the type of coach Dayton fans think they need would agree to labor under the same conditions that Coach Hancock has had to deal with.

I know this will probably hack some of my Dayton friends off but I feel no remorse for expressing this.

They gave him five years of respect ! He single handedly  ran the program in the ground - nobody from the outside looking in is going to convince me different. No district championships, never made it past the second round, set the Guinness world record by loosing by 1-point three years in roll in the playoffs( sub-par play calling), never helped to promote his athletes for scholarship's ,verbally beat his team down to the point that a lot of good kids quit and even more refused to participate as long he coaches, inherited one the best defenses in the district and now were at the bottom, hadn't a clue on where to plug n play his players into what position( Shaq played QB against play-off team Ned and they had no answer for him- for his troubles he was placed on defense the rest of the year so not to make the other QB look bad again ) - refused to accept any help from the fans to help supplement financial aspects of the football program,equitment ect ( mostly liltex  with a little help from,bronco pride, me and many others raised over $3000.00 for the booster club and he refused it and then did away with the booster club with the AD's permission ( now that's respect). I don't feel sorry for him one bit you reap what you sow .

Like I said if you honestly believe they are even in the same conversation as far as head coaches that explains a lot of your posts. It's nice to see your level of concern in were the Dayton program is headed in the future though.

My only concern is that I would like to see Dayton strong so that it means something when we beat them. KP should be good next year but this is potentially an HISD level district after re-alignment and we need as many good teams as possible. I've told you many times I thought Stew was the best coach in all of SETX for about a 10 year stretch and I agree with the vast majority of what Jayhawk said.

Crosby was overrated because they lost in the second round after going 11-0, right? Meaning the entirety of how your season in your opinion is based on how well you do in the playoffs, correct? I think you have to give all coaches a pass on their first year at a program so years 2-6 for Stew he had three first round losses, one second round loss and one third round loss. Hancock only had the job five years but had one third round loss, two second round losses and two first round losses. Not to mention this was Hancock's first head coaching job and Stew had already been a head coach before he came to Dayton.

I also think Dayton can do better at head coach IF they get the right guy, I just don't think he's nearly as incompetent as some Dayton fans make him out to be because they keep comparing him to Jerry Stewart. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he lands in a better place than Dayton. His resume will probably be at the top of the list when compared to other coaches that were fired after the season.

My only concern is that I would like to see Dayton strong so that it means something when we beat them. KP should be good next year but this is potentially an HISD level district after re-alignment and we need as many good teams as possible. I've told you many times I thought Stew was the best coach in all of SETX for about a 10 year stretch and I agree with the vast majority of what Jayhawk said.

Crosby was overrated because they lost in the second round after going 11-0, right? Meaning the entirety of how your season in your opinion is based on how well you do in the playoffs, correct? I think you have to give all coaches a pass on their first year at a program so years 2-6 for Stew he had three first round losses, one second round loss and one third round loss. Hancock only had the job five years but had one third round loss, two second round losses and two first round losses. Not to mention this was Hancock's first head coaching job and Stew had already been a head coach before he came to Dayton.

I also think Dayton can do better at head coach IF they get the right guy, I just don't think he's nearly as incompetent as some Dayton fans make him out to be because they keep comparing him to Jerry Stewart. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he lands in a better place than Dayton. His resume will probably be at the top of the list when compared to other coaches that were fired after the season.

I never would call 11-1 a bad year but yes Crosby was very over rated. Crosby had the best team in our little area but being ranked 2nd in the state was not warranted. I said the same thing about Dayton in 2012 when they were ranked 4th going into that SC beat down at home. I actually think 11-1 is a great year but in your own words this year was title or bust. So I guess 11-1 is bust then. There's so much you don't know but whatever. 

Edited by bronco pride

Nobody is comparing him to Jerry he's not even close - You ever wonder why Dayton limps a long every season for the last five years barely making the play-offs then all of sudden look like a contender at playoffs ? its because Jerry( hancocks baby-sitter) gets in the drivers seat and  steers the team in the right direction with what he's left to work with,the last few years though he has lost interest and hasn't had as much input.Hancocks resume should have an asterisk on it that states : my coaching ability is totally contingernt on my babysitter Jerry being present .

Nobody is comparing him to Jerry he's not even close - You ever wonder why Dayton limps a long every season for the last five years barely making the play-offs then all of sudden look like a contender at playoffs ? its because Jerry( hancocks baby-sitter) gets in the drivers seat and  steers the team in the right direction with what he's left to work with,the last few years though he has lost interest and hasn't had as much input.Hancocks resume should have an asterisk on it that states : my coaching ability is totally contingernt on my babysitter Jerry being present .

To be fair, before Stew got there Dayton limped along all the time. If you're not comparing him to Stew then listen to how this sounds. "I think we need a new coach, all this guy has done is go to the playoffs every year he's had the job but he's lost in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round."

That being said, do you think the next coach should be fired after five years on the job if he goes to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st rounds in that span?  

To be fair, before Stew got there Dayton limped along all the time. If you're not comparing him to Stew then listen to how this sounds. "I think we need a new coach, all this guy has done is go to the playoffs every year he's had the job but he's lost in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round."

That being said, do you think the next coach should be fired after five years on the job if he goes to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st rounds in that span?  

He isn't being fired and I would argue if he doesn't get the new position it wouldn't simply be for his wins and losses. Wait a minute wasn't Flannigan let go with basically the same record or better over his last 5 years. Looks like Flannigan had a 3rd round 2nd round district championship and made the playoffs his last 5 years. Why didn't Crosby keep him.

Edited by bronco pride

He isn't being fired and I would argue if he doesn't get the new position it wouldn't simply be for his wins and losses. Wait a minute wasn't Flannigan let go with basically the same record or better over his last 5 years. Why didn't Crosby keep him.

He lost to Vidor, which in my view, was seen as completely unacceptable by the administration. He also only had one win against Dayton in 8 years which I'm sure helped roll him out the door.

Flannigan got a 6A job about 30 seconds after he was fired though, hence my comment about Hancock potentially landing in a better place than Dayton.  

He lost to Vidor, which in my view, was seen as completely unacceptable by the administration. He also only had one win against Dayton in 8 years which I'm sure helped roll him out the door.

Flannigan got a 6A job about 30 seconds after he was fired though, hence my comment about Hancock potentially landing in a better place than Dayton.  

So I am guessing  Riordan would be on  his way out the door as well if Dayton was beating yall still? All those d1 players yall had this year. How great your team was. Ranked #2 in the state. And got plowed in the 2nd round. 

So I am guessing  Riordan would be on  his way out the door as well if Dayton was beating yall still? All those d1 players yall had this year. How great your team was. Ranked #2 in the state. And got plowed in the 2nd round. 

Yeah, I'm sure there would be rumblings. I don't think Riordan averaging over 10 wins per season as a first time head coach and getting to the semis his third year on the job did Hancock any favors after Stew was in Dayton. 

I think Dayton sees themselves as equals to Crosby which hurt Hancock when he couldn't win at the same clip. Like you highlighted though, even in a year when we lose a lot Crosby still has about 7 D1 kids coming back for the 2016 season. 

With that level of talent expectations are high enough where 11-1 feels like a subpar season, with Dayton producing one D1 level kid every 3-5 seasons I don't think you can say the same for them. 

I think you don't have a clue about Dayton Athletics. 

I think the people I talk to from Dayton are more objective than you. After Crosby was blown out by Dayton in 2012 I told you your team was soft and would regress the longer Stew was away from the sidelines. You tried to argue me down, yet everything I told you happened exactly as I said it would. Guy walked in my office two months ago and asked me if I thought Riordan would take the AD job in Dayton because Stew might be out. This guy never jokes but obviously I thought he was. Turns out he was dead on just like the whole 8 years I've know him. I swear to you, Monday morning a different Dayton guy walks into my office and goes "Hey, why don't you apply for the Dayton job?. The opening should be posted later today." Of course he was joking about me applying but he was serious about the opening, then this thread pops up a day later. Think what you want though Pride, we've never changed each other's opinions.

Don't be surprised if Coach Maple from K- Park gets job. He has connection with current Supt. and Asst. Supt. 

I think Maple was the OC at Kingwood before he got the job in Cleveland though, KP is probably pretty close to his dream job. With what KP offers, unless Dayton was to overpay a move like that would probably be less than lateral.

I think the people I talk to from Dayton are more objective than you. After Crosby was blown out by Dayton in 2012 I told you your team was soft and would regress the longer Stew was away from the sidelines. You tried to argue me down, yet everything I told you happened exactly as I said it would. Guy walked in my office two months ago and asked me if I thought Riordan would take the AD job in Dayton because Stew might be out. This guy never jokes but obviously I thought he was. Turns out he was dead on just like the whole 8 years I've know him. I swear to you, Monday morning a different Dayton guy walks into my office and goes "Hey, why don't you apply for the Dayton job?. The opening should be posted later today." Of course he was joking about me applying but he was serious about the opening, then this thread pops up a day later. Think what you want though Pride, we've never changed each other's opinions.

Yeah your right all the time except when your not. Title or bust 2015. I guess according to this post you agree Dayton has regressed since Stew has left. Make up your mind man. Also please apply for the job I need a good laugh.

Edited by bronco pride

Yeah your right all the time except when your not. Title or bust 2015. I guess according to this post you agree Dayton has regressed since Stew has left. Make up your mind man. Also please apply for the job I need a good laugh.

Yeah, it was title or bust and we busted. Just like Cedar Hill, Navasota, Carroll, Trinity, Permian and the other 50+ schools that felt like they had a real shot at winning it. Hopefully the kids refocus and play with the same chip they did in '14. Dayton football has regressed since Stew left, but all of Dayton athletics has regressed since Stew left. I think Dayton does about as well as they can given the current circumstances which is probably what your "make up your mine" comment alluded to. I would love to apply for a high school job but I have three sons and a baby girl and couldn't afford the drastic pay-cut. I'll just keep posting more things to make you laugh . . . . until it happens, lol.

Problem #1 Kids aren't participating,Problem #2 not developing talent pool available Problem #3 can't coach/play defense anymore Problem#4 kids/parents won't support staff in place Problem#5 lack of coaching up has caused Dayt to be more recently known to squeek out wins=kicking field goals & great special teams play=now that's failing.Me=I'd aplogize dearly,build/honor by name a Bronco facility,pay him what he's earned,JS only needs coaching help for amt.of kiddos,he knows everything you want to know/learn about building blocks & winning.He's a Bronco@heart been put on a limited budget to work with.$$$$$$ from atheletic events goes into a general fund,smh.Since JS HC job many of his coaches have left Dayt for other positions.Let's choose wisely,we need a coach kiddos love to play for,not because their parent has political connections.School board decides & I don't remember very much of their former atheletic abilities(except Payne)=scary stuff I'd say.I also agree=don't be a weasel=if current HC is not your man,Man up & say you're not what we want.Those doubting JS presence=take that back(many times he's been asked for HELP).We'd already been searching if he hadn't been giving help tips to staff in place because they don't have the expertise to make quarterly ajustments.as needed.Some Dayt coaches present are being contacted on other possible job positions & some talking down Dayt football to other district coaches at Bronco Relays should be ashamed.Opportunity just months ago@75th Bronco re-union was a wasted opp for a ballot box as to the direction the majority that wore the uniform to give hindsight as to direction/recommendations for a sch board to review for DHS.I'm done posting on this topic but got starch/iron ready to look good even if it gets ugly cause my heart/soul is about the kiddos future,to be anything less I'd be an old man not caring a bit.It's a job,but one w/lasting effects.Always judge yourself first,if you've done well the kiddos will cont.to call you Coach & find you to talk about the memories & impact you made to produce a winner in society

Edited by liltex

Why not give the job back to Coach Stewart and be done with it? He's not anywhere near old enough to retire and it will drive him nuts not having anything to do with Dayton sports. I really, really don't understand why they don't give him the job back and why he doesn't take it. It's what he loved to do and the Dayton fans love him for it.