Sumlin/Murray

TXHORN_ET

Sumlin gets Murray to Aggieland. Happy Days are here again! Now with Kyler's lack of playing time, it appears there is the beginning of a split on the team. Sound familiar?

Just think how hot it would've been on Sumlin if he had not gotten Murray on campus. 

What happens next? Will Kyle Allen be ready to go against SC? Will Kyler be pardoned for going off on Spav? Does Hubanek get more playing time? 

Winning takes care of everything. Guess we'll see how Sumlin figues all this out.

Allen seems to be playing hurt since the end of the Miss St game.  He just has no zip on his passes and can't hit the broad side of a barn, so at least I hope he has a good reason.

Murray's complaint was they only put him in when the offense is struggling and don't give him a chance to succeed.  He's probably right.  Spav is terrible at calling plays based on the personnel on the field.  Kyler is a zone read guy that needs to be in space to be successful.  Norvell has done a great job with Heard playing to his strengths.  I don't think Spav knows what that means.  

Sumlin never announces injuries or suspensions to "protect" his players. In this case it would have probably been better to leak out the Murray suspension, so the TV cameras didn't zoom in on Kyler after each of the 22 straight incompletions Allen threw.  

If Spav isn't going to get fired or adjust to his personnel before Saturday, I would say start Hubenak. He is currently the best option to run whatever offense that is we've been trying to run.  

We shall see but as to next season, it is entirely possible the best QB on that team isn't on campus yet.  That Martell (sp?) kid can go.  Hopefully for the Ags, he's a willing redshirt and delay that headache for a year.  It's a rich person's problem but you do have to juggle those issues, especially at QB when you have elite talent.  Texas will have a similar issue at some point with the Buechele (sp?) kid if and when Heard struggles. 

We shall see but as to next season, it is entirely possible the best QB on that team isn't on campus yet.  That Martell (sp?) kid can go.  Hopefully for the Ags, he's a willing redshirt and delay that headache for a year.  It's a rich person's problem but you do have to juggle those issues, especially at QB when you have elite talent.  Texas will have a similar issue at some point with the Buechele (sp?) kid if and when Heard struggles. 

If they fire Spavital, there's a good chance Matrell does not make it to aTm. 

what grade is Ehlinger (sp) in?  The qb from Westlake. He's a Tx commit right? 

Allen seems to be playing hurt since the end of the Miss St game.  He just has no zip on his passes and can't hit the broad side of a barn, so at least I hope he has a good reason.

Murray's complaint was they only put him in when the offense is struggling and don't give him a chance to succeed.  He's probably right.  Spav is terrible at calling plays based on the personnel on the field.  Kyler is a zone read guy that needs to be in space to be successful.  Norvell has done a great job with Heard playing to his strengths.  I don't think Spav knows what that means.  

Sumlin never announces injuries or suspensions to "protect" his players. In this case it would have probably been better to leak out the Murray suspension, so the TV cameras didn't zoom in on Kyler after each of the 22 straight incompletions Allen threw.  

If Spav isn't going to get fired or adjust to his personnel before Saturday, I would say start Hubenak. He is currently the best option to run whatever offense that is we've been trying to run.  

Watson may be available if Spav needs help. 

Also very good at developing qb's like Bridgewater. 

what grade is Ehlinger (sp) in?  The qb from Westlake. He's a Tx commit right? 

He's a junior.  The Shane Buechele kid from the metroplex was the mvp at the elite 11 camp last summer.  Has a chance to be really good.  I think we've all learned that you never know how good they will be until they lace em up on Saturdays.  Garrett Gilbert was supposed to be all world and Mack went all in on the kid.  May have eventually cost him his job to be honest. 

Back on topic, sort of, is Martell's commitment really Spavital based?   He seems to really love the school and is recruiting hard himself.  I would think a switch to a proven play caller at OC would be an incentive for him, unless he's just super tight with Spav.  If he is, switch Spav to QB coach and bring in another OC.  Not like anyone is going to be banging down his door to hire him as a play caller anyway. 

Back on topic, sort of, is Martell's commitment really Spavital based?   He seems to really love the school and is recruiting hard himself.  I would think a switch to a proven play caller at OC would be an incentive for him, unless he's just super tight with Spav.  If he is, switch Spav to QB coach and bring in another OC.  Not like anyone is going to be banging down his door to hire him as a play caller anyway. 

Just going by what the aggies I work with have stated.

Spavital was his recruiter:

This is the hidden content, please

Martell is 2017 so there is a long way until signing day.  He is supposedly tight with Spav, but is really high on A&M all together.   The new USC coach will have a lot to say whether he ever ends up in College Station.

Martell is 2017 so there is a long way until signing day.  He is supposedly tight with Spav, but is really high on A&M all together.   The new USC coach will have a lot to say whether he ever ends up in College Station.

Ah, forgot he was 2017.  You're right.  He has time to decommit, commit somewhere else, and then recommit when he decides A&M was where he wanted to be all along.  I kid but it is a growing trend.  For the Ags, hopefully he stands firm and continues his recruiting campaign with other kids.  Obviously I'm not an A&M fan but I've always respected those kids who not only stand firm but try to improve their future school while doing so. 

Normally QB recruiting has not been an issue with Sumlin and whoever his OC is.  Will see how the current QB soap opera plays out to see if that hurts in the long run.

On the current QB situation - if what has been reported and what I have heard is true and Allen is hurt then he needs to sit until better and not take a chance on getting hurt worse.  Give Murray a chance and when Allen is better then have the QB competition to determine the starter then let the chips fall where they may.  But in watching how they have used Murray so far this year A&M has not really given him much of a chance to succeed or fail over an extended period - say 3 or more series in a row.

Will see now how good Sumlin and the coaches are at maintaining a locker room.  And I hope that Sumlin is right and the team is frustrated and not split - frustration can bring a team together if directed into improving as a team but it the players are not on the same page as to the direction of the team then all hell can and may break out.

its not, but if this game was in SC id pick the Gamecocks to win. If aggy loses this game Saturday somebody getting fired. 

Like I said - A&M loses this game and the real daytime soap operas in CS are going to start.

I also worry about what happens next in CS - they start Murray and Allen gets pissed (could be viewed as appeasement) - or they start Allen and Murray puffs up (again) - they start Hubenak and all hell could break lose.

I worry that If this ain't handled properly I could see you could see 2 very unhappy QB's - while very unlikely - which may cause both Allen and Murray transfer out - what a disaster that would be.