Patterson may be done at UT

Mr. Buddy Garrity

Jamail cancelled his suite at DKR this year.  This may be in part to try to get him and his checkbook back.

$5.6 mil guaranteed is what Patterson is owed.  

Jamail didn't cancel his suite.  He has just not been attending games.  Big difference.  None the less, good move by Texas firing the guy who alienated the entire athletics program and fan base.  

From

This is the hidden content, please
:

Those complaints have come from dozens of angry donors, including some of Texas’ top givers, sources said. Those donors feel Patterson is running UT like a cold, unfeeling pro sports franchise that views UT faithful as faceless customers – not passionate alums.

As a result, 10,000 football season ticket holders didn't renew for 2015 after an average cost increase of 21.5 percent, coming off a 6-7 season and a five-year record of 36-28.

[...]

Billionaire Houston trial lawyer Joe Jamail, 89, who has given tens of millions of dollars to the university and whose name is on the field at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium as well as UT’s swim center, canceled his suite at Texas football games this year.

Jamail didn't cancel his suite.  He has just not been attending games.  Big difference.  None the less, good move by Texas firing the guy who alienated the entire athletics program and fan base.  

I guess all of those reporters must be lying which they have been know to do.   I wouldn't be surprised if you were right on that one.  

This just keeps getting better and better.

Quote:ChipBrownHD: Steve Patterson can be reassigned, take a 1-yr buyout ($1.4 mil) or possibly be fired for cause, HD has learned.

will this ordeal have its own show on the Longhorn Network? 

I think that they would have a hard time firing him for cause as "Termination for cause can only occur for actions that an employer considers to be grave misconduct or violation of law."

Think that Texas might just lose this case in court - while I think that some of what Patterson did was stupid and not in the best interest of the university - was it illegal or grave misconduct - questionable!

Good news for Texas however is that they have the best lawyers in the State on their side.

Mack will not be the new AD.  I don't know if Luck still wants it after Powers screwed him the last time. I have heard that talks have been going on for several weeks with Jurich from Louisville, widely considered the best AD in the country.  If this is true and this deal gets done, I would have to think that would be good news for Strong. 

I am sure Patterson is embarrassed and he should be.  I completely understand a coach not wanting so spend a lot of time sucking up to the BMDs because they have a job to do on the field.  But a big part of the ADs job, especially at a place like Texas, is keeping the billionaires happy.  I mean, how many opposing band tickets do you have to sell to make up for the kind of money Red McCombs and Joe Jamail give UT?  The answer is none of us will live long enough for those $100 seats to make a dent in those donors contributions.  Heck, even Beaumont has a guy who has given well into the 8 figures to the University.  And he could pick up the phone at any time and you can bet your bottom that Deloss would answer.  The weird part is that Patterson was an alum and you would think he would have understood how things work.  As Aces said, just glad they didn't waste time and got it done now.  He was never, ever going to work out in this position.

I was told again today that Fenves was assured he needn't worry about the buyout.   I will not be surprised at all if some measure of payback will not be instituted and make Patterson work and pay for whatever he gets (keep in mind he has infuriated many power players in this state).  But ultimately, certain donors have stepped up and said they will gladly cut the final check to get him out of Belmont. 

I do think that Texas could do worse that having Mack Brown as AD.

I was a Mack Brown fan even when they fired him as I think they gave him bum rap when they fired him in the first place (even though several posters on this site disagree with me).

But the best part would be the irony of Mack replacing the man that fired him - gotta love UT if they allow that to happen.

it will never happen.  

Sorry go find something else about UT!!!!