Bring Back Burger Chef

baddog

I'm sitting here about to have supper and a McDonald's commercial came on and it made me think of the old Burger Chef. Anyone else old enough to remember? They were flamed broiled like Burger King but much better. The Superchef was killer!

Does anyone know how I could go about trying to revive the old franchise?....get a petition going or something like that? For you younger guys, it became Hardee's

Just thought I would post a change of pace.

I'm sitting here about to have supper and a McDonald's commercial came on and it made me think of the old Burger Chef. Anyone else old enough to remember? They were flamed broiled like Burger King but much better. The Superchef was killer!

Does anyone know how I could go about trying to revive the old franchise?....get a petition going or something like that? For you younger guys, it became Hardee's

i remember Hardee's, I think it was the Hamburger Depot spot way back in Nederland. 

Yes, I remember BC. It was my favorite burger place but I do not remember the name of the hamburger that I liked the best (but I swear that I can still taste it). Since it was built as a BC where Hamburger Depot is today about a block from Bulldog Stadium, I would walk there at halftime at every Nederland home game.

Yes, I remember BC. It was my favorite burger place but I do not remember the name of the hamburger that I liked the best (but I swear that I can still taste it). Since it was built as a BC where Hamburger Depot is today about a block from Bulldog Stadium, I would walk there at halftime at every Nederland home game.

Big Chef?

First chain I remember in Bmt.  Going south on 11th on the left before you got to Gateway.  Small burgers .15 cents.  Heaven!   We use to drag up & down 11th from Pig Stand just south of St Ann's to other one just to the right on college.  I'd get burgers at BC and go to PS and get a coke.  Sit there and watch the cars go by.  

You brought back some great memories.  My question, back in mid 60's was a Dodge dealership in PA.  Go over there and 2 of 3 cars on the drag where Dodges.  Anyone remember the name?

First chain I remember in Bmt.  Going south on 11th on the left before you got to Gateway.  Small burgers .15 cents.  Heaven!   We use to drag up & down 11th from Pig Stand just south of St Ann's to other one just to the right on college.  I'd get burgers at BC and go to PS and get a coke.  Sit there and watch the cars go by.  

You brought back some great memories.  My question, back in mid 60's was a Dodge dealership in PA.  Go over there and 2 of 3 cars on the drag where Dodges.  Anyone remember the name?

Mingle Chrysler/Dodge?

I recall a PS on Calder and one on College. There was a Burger Chef in south park by the college.

That was part of their jingle on the television commercials.

"Burger Chef, for a nickle and a dime......."

It was. My wife worked the one on Ned Ave.

from about 1960 till around 1970 we ate either there, Gulfway Drive fish burger or the fishnet on Bluebonnet on Fridays Chatholic peeps. Then when we started dating ate there often 72-77.  Had 35 cent burgers, $5 gas, up and down the drag -73 Malibu SS - and movie at the Village $10/15 max.  The Luke's owned the one on Nederland Ave turned into Hardee's.

Remember Drakes on Nederland Ave?

from about 1960 till around 1970 we ate either there, Gulfway Drive fish burger or the fishnet on Bluebonnet on Fridays Chatholic peeps. Then when we started dating ate there often 72-77.  Had 35 cent burgers, $5 gas, up and down the drag -73 Malibu SS - and movie at the Village $10/15 max.  The Luke's owned the one on Nederland Ave turned into Hardee's.

Drake's onion rings........

Or across the street, the Baker-Wliford Pharmacy lunch counter. 

That was where the car wash is now. It was a DPS haven before they tore it down. Wife says Drakes had the best stuffed shrimp that came with fries and onion rings in a cardboard box. Malts were to die for also.

Man, I wish there was a way to bring back Burger Chef. Unbelievably good fast food. I ate at the one on 11th street in Beaumont all the time.

To REBgp, they killed the "drag" when they took out the circle. People started parking at Gateway then the cops ran us off. Too many vandals I guess.

That was where the car wash is now. It was a DPS haven before they tore it down. Wife says Drakes had the best stuffed shrimp that came with fries and onion rings in a cardboard box. Malts were to die for also.

Man, I wish there was a way to bring back Burger Chef. Unbelievably good fast food. I ate at the one on 11th street in Beaumont all the time.

To REBgp, they killed the "drag" when they took out the circle. People started parking at Gateway then the cops ran us off. Too many vandals I guess.

I still see the building when I go to Sam's. 

Yep, the demise of the circle was a killer.  Intersection wasn't the same.  Spent a few hours at Gateway myself before U. Sam decided he needed me. Had a second hand 64 Plymouth Fury with a 383/330hp.  Thank goodness premium gas was was about .25 a gallon.  Went thru a bunch.  Use to race on frontage road passed Don's Seafood.  If I ever hit the lotto, I'll get me one of those Fury's again.  Looked one up on the Net a few months back and it was going for $35,000.  So if any of yall want to get me a present, make it happen lol. 

Edited by REBgp

Mingle Chrysler/Dodge?

I recall a PS on Calder and one on College. There was a Burger Chef in south park by the college.

No, don't think it was Mingle's.  99% sure it was on Gulfway Dr. but name is stored someplace I can't access lol.  At GT Dragstrip, seems like Mingle's had a car called Texas Rattler with a Hemi they raced.  Spent some good times there. Looking back, didn't realize how good.  Young, footloose, minimal responsibities.  Yep, good times. 

How about Crocker Dodge?

Plymouth Fury was a huge car but it didn't matter back then with the 383. My friend's dad had a Fury but he babied it. You could drive in town without stepping on the gas pedal......practically had to ride the brake. Same with the 455 Oldsmobile. Man, they don't make cars like that now.

How about Crocker Dodge?

Plymouth Fury was a huge car but it didn't matter back then with the 383. My friend's dad had a Fury but he babied it. You could drive in town without stepping on the gas pedal......practically had to ride the brake. Same with the 455 Oldsmobile. Man, they don't make cars like that now.

I didn't think so until I saw a Dodge Hellcat Challenger ad.  I think it has 770 HP.  That boggles the mind.  Heck, I've flown in planes with less than that. 

Crocker sounds familiar 

Edited by REBgp

I didn't think so until I saw a Dodge Hellcat Challenger ad.  I think it has 770 HP.  That boggles the mind.  Heck, I've flown in planes with less than that. 

Crocker sounds familiar 

Every airplane that I am checked out in has less horsepower... way less.