Kountze @ LC-M DH

The Kountze coach was not right on the rule book call and if he does not get that rule figured out it is going to effect them in other one run games down the road. The 3rd to 1st pick off move is illegal in the pros.  Not in high school. Not only should they know it can be run on them, they better be prepared to catch some runners throughout the season by running it themselves.

Umpires please chime in and let these folks know this pick off move is still legal in high school so they can be aware it may be coming and hopefully use it to their advantage down the road.  Our coaches have coached 800 high school games. Surely they know the rules.    

Yes the 3rd to first is legal as long as the pitcher does not balk in the process. I talked to the Kountze coaches about it and they both coached at different schools last year and each had a pitcher try the 3rd to first and the pitcher was called for a balk and the reason the umpire gave was that the move was illegal thus creating the confusion during the game

The Kountze coach was not right on the rule book call and if he does not get that rule figured out it is going to effect them in other one run games down the road. The 3rd to 1st pick off move is illegal in the pros. Not in high school. Not only should they know it can be run on them, they better be prepared to catch some runners throughout the season by running it themselves.

Umpires please chime in and let these folks know this pick off move is still legal in high school so they can be aware it may be coming and hopefully use it to their advantage down the road. Our coaches have coached 800 high school games. Surely they know the rules.

I've seen it in high school

Actually the coach better have his book AND on the right rule when questioning Ump, it's NOT the Umps job to show the rule. IF the pitcher did NOT release the rubber >>>> WITH pivot foot<<< its a balk....IF he did he can throw to centerfield if he wants....he's considered a fielder and IF he throws the ball in a dead ball zone after releasing the runner gets 1+1 if he didn't release he just gets 1

The Kountze coach was not right on the rule book call and if he does not get that rule figured out it is going to effect them in other one run games down the road. The 3rd to 1st pick off move is illegal in the pros.  Not in high school. Not only should they know it can be run on them, they better be prepared to catch some runners throughout the season by running it themselves.

Umpires please chime in and let these folks know this pick off move is still legal in high school so they can be aware it may be coming and hopefully use it to their advantage down the road.  Our coaches have coached 800 high school games. Surely they know the rules.    

You are correct , the 3rd to 1st move it STILL legal in High School rules.

Actually the coach better have his book AND on the right rule when questioning Ump, it's NOT the Umps job to show the rule. IF the pitcher did NOT release the rubber >>>> WITH pivot foot<<< its a balk....IF he did he can throw to centerfield if he wants....he's considered a fielder and IF he throws the ball in a dead ball zone after releasing the runner gets 1+1 if he didn't release he just gets 1

every coach i have ever seen bring a rules book out onto the field and show the umpire a rule has been ejected from the game.

3rd to 1st is legal.   Must gain ground towards 3rd before the turn/throw back to 1st.  It would be a balk if he didn't gain ground.  But it is a judgment call on whether he gains ground.

If coach pulls out a rule book on the field he better be ready to take a seat. 

3rd to 1st is legal.   Must gain ground towards 3rd before the turn/throw back to 1st.  It would be a balk if he didn't gain ground.  But it is a judgment call on whether he gains ground.

If coach pulls out a rule book on the field he better be ready to take a seat. 

He better be ready to go count lug nuts on the bus, then plan a trip to Austin.

I always had my book in my pocket and knew which rule I was going to refer to, the book is a backup, Its NOT the umps thats required to show the coach the rule IS IT.....and I've had several talks with the umps....ask Dennis....How would you go about questioning OR the interpretation of a rule IF you didn't have your book UNLESS you don't own one....I guess you would sit and mash your nutza and let it go......I was always leary when a umpire had a book in his pocket tho, sure sign of a rookie....

This was judgement call...Kountze coach did not feel he made a focused move to third before going to first...they felt it was a balk...and just because a coach has a rule out does not give the umpire any right to eject a coach. The umpire recognized his request to question the call and that is the bottom line...if an umpire were to toss a coach for showing him a rule after a side bar was given, it would be 110% wrong doing by the Umpire. All that being said...LCM hit well and out scored the Lions 6-5 and 4-3 (two dingers did the damage) lol! Best of luck to LCM the rest of the way.

This was judgement call...Kountze coach did not feel he made a focused move to third before going to first...they felt it was a balk...and just because a coach has a rule out does not give the umpire any right to eject a coach. The umpire recognized his request to question the call and that is the bottom line...if an umpire were to toss a coach for showing him a rule after a side bar was given, it would be 110% wrong doing by the Umpire. All that being said...LCM hit well and out scored the Lions 6-5 and 4-3 (two dingers did the damage) lol! Best of luck to LCM the rest of the way.

what is a "focused move"