How do you fix Lamar?

Pirate88

Follow the SEC scheduling protocol: Schedule cupcakes in non- conference, build up the wins, get all your guys playing time in blow out wins, and enter conference play with your starters rested.

There's enough talent in the area for Lamar to compete. Just need to trade paydays for some winnable games.

Follow the SEC scheduling protocol: Schedule cupcakes in non- conference, build up the wins, get all your guys playing time in blow out wins, and enter conference play with your starters rested.

There's enough talent in the area for Lamar to compete. Just need to trade paydays for some winnable games.

aren't they already doing that? Grambling...Texas College...Mississippi College. ...

Define win. Win more games than you lose? Win Conference? Win a few games into the playoffs? Win the FCS National Championship? I don't believe just winning more games than you lose will be good enough. To do that, all they have to do is continue to schedule games like they have this year. I personally think it's the quality of wins/opponents. 

SHSU is only 1-3 so far  this season, their losses are to:

Eastern Washington - Ranked #2 FCS

LSU - Ranked #8 FBS

Colorado State Peublo - #2 Division II

I watched EW on TV and attended the other 2 games...all 3 of these teams are very quality teams, something that doesn't exist on LU's schedule.

SHSU has also been to the National Championship game 2 out of the last 3 years, and lost. They have won the SLC, made the playoffs at-large, etc. With that said the fans are always expecting more (as they should).

Bottom line is there must be a balance. They must win...but win against quality opponents, win conference, or at least put yourself in position to do so. SHSU finished 3rd in the SL last year, yet got an at-large bid....why is that? Because they had a very tough schedule and won some of those games (beat #2 E. Washington at home) and even though they slipped in conference (lost to SELU and MSU) they still got invited to the show.

In addition, let's make a comparison. UL-L is the closest geographics to LU. Lafayette is the main town with lots of surrounding communities. Yet, There isn't a campus in Carencro, Youngsville, Scott, Rayne...etc

UL-L is THE campus, it is EVERYTHING in that community. NOT SO at LU. To much divided interest from surrounding cities. Not to mention people LIVE and WANT to live in Lafayette, Lake Charles, Nacogdoches, Huntsville, etc...the locals don't have to drive from outskirt communities to get to the games...just some of my thoughts on why LU will never be successful.

Sorry - but you kill a program for 21 years and then try and restart from scratch this is the net result - years of struggling and low attendance and support.

It will take years to bring this program back from the dead.  Sorry but they need to hire a coach that is used to rebuilding programs and give him 5 - 8 years to get the best players that he can and start by getting a few wins a year and hope - and I mean hope that bigger and better players like what they see.

I see progrms like UTSA, Tx State, and South Alabama and where they have come from over the past years. I think Lamar went wrong when they hired Woodard. He is in over his head.

UTSA started a year behind us I think, and see where they are. There's no reason Lamar is that far behind them. We can't even post a winning record in the Southland.

Get the right coach with the right kids and then build from there. Non-conference needs to nothing but FBS or FCS schools. No more NAIA schools, does your team no good. Start playing schools people know and heard of, both away and home games, and people will start coming back. Hard to pay $100 for a family to go see a no name school lay down just so your team can claim a win. And even harder to justify spending $$ to tailgate for those teams as well. Just no pride in playing those types of teams and not just pride for the school but the fans as well.

If the program is not changed from the current path in the next few years, I see it dead again in 5 years.

I see progrms like UTSA, Tx State, and South Alabama and where they have come from over the past years. I think Lamar went wrong when they hired Woodard. He is in over his head.

UTSA started a year behind us I think, and see where they are. There's no reason Lamar is that far behind them. We can't even post a winning record in the Southland.

Get the right coach with the right kids and then build from there. Non-conference needs to nothing but FBS or FCS schools. No more NAIA schools, does your team no good. Start playing schools people know and heard of, both away and home games, and people will start coming back. Hard to pay $100 for a family to go see a no name school lay down just so your team can claim a win. And even harder to justify spending $$ to tailgate for those teams as well. Just no pride in playing those types of teams and not just pride for the school but the fans as well.

If the program is not changed from the current path in the next few years, I see it dead again in 5 years.

It's hard to compare Beaumont with San Antonio. UTSA is in a major city with no pro team and has over 30,000 students. Hiring Larry Coker didn't hurt either. UTSA will be a good mid major that big schools won't want to play as long as Coker is there.

Define win. Win more games than you lose? Win Conference? Win a few games into the playoffs? Win the FCS National Championship? I don't believe just winning more games than you lose will be good enough. To do that, all they have to do is continue to schedule games like they have this year. I personally think it's the quality of wins/opponents. 

SHSU is only 1-3 so far  this season, their losses are to:

Eastern Washington - Ranked #2 FCS

LSU - Ranked #8 FBS

Colorado State Peublo - #2 Division II

I watched EW on TV and attended the other 2 games...all 3 of these teams are very quality teams, something that doesn't exist on LU's schedule.

SHSU has also been to the National Championship game 2 out of the last 3 years, and lost. They have won the SLC, made the playoffs at-large, etc. With that said the fans are always expecting more (as they should).

Bottom line is there must be a balance. They must win...but win against quality opponents, win conference, or at least put yourself in position to do so. SHSU finished 3rd in the SL last year, yet got an at-large bid....why is that? Because they had a very tough schedule and won some of those games (beat #2 E. Washington at home) and even though they slipped in conference (lost to SELU and MSU) they still got invited to the show.

Basically, all of that.

Earlier in this thread, it was pointed out that Lamar has wins over such vaunted teams as Texas College, Mississippi College and Grambling State.

A win is a win, but not all wins are equal.

If Lamar wants fan support, it has to stop beating up on smaller schools and start beating schools the average, reasonable observer would associate with Lamar. Teams like Sam Houston State, SFA, and longtime rival McNeese. Everyone loves a winner, but a small collection of wins does not a winner make. Until Lamar can effectively compete with the schools it should be on the same playing field with, it will continue to lag behind in fan support, school spirit and regional prominence.

Outside of that, the only thing Lamar can really do to put fans in the stands is to put local players on the field. Southeast Texas is one of the best places in the world when it comes to high school football fanbases. There are a lot of longtime high school fans who would pay the price of a ticket and concessions to see their favorite high school players take the field again. I can't tell you how many PN-G fans would happily go to Lamar games if they thought they'd see Brennan Doty back under center.

Basically, all of that.

Earlier in this thread, it was pointed out that Lamar has wins over such vaunted teams as Texas College, Mississippi College and Grambling State.

A win is a win, but not all wins are equal.

If Lamar wants fan support, it has to stop beating up on smaller schools and start beating schools the average, reasonable observer would associate with Lamar. Teams like Sam Houston State, SFA, and longtime rival McNeese. Everyone loves a winner, but a small collection of wins does not a winner make. Until Lamar can effectively compete with the schools it should be on the same playing field with, it will continue to lag behind in fan support, school spirit and regional prominence.

Outside of that, the only thing Lamar can really do to put fans in the stands is to put local players on the field. Southeast Texas is one of the best places in the world when it comes to high school football fanbases. There are a lot of longtime high school fans who would pay the price of a ticket and concessions to see their favorite high school players take the field again. I can't tell you how many PN-G fans would happily go to Lamar games if they thought they'd see Brennan Doty back under center.

I disagree whole heartedly. This has been stated many times about several LU sports teams. But since we are on football I'll stick to those numbers. If you look at LU's roster, it has nearly 20 kids from the GT area (I think 5 from Silsbee alone)...if you compare rosters with any of the top 3 in the SLC SELU, MSU, and SHSU you would find very few from the area in which the school is located. The only exceptions are, whereas SELU is near baton Rouge and New Orleans, and SHSU is near Houston, these can hardly count as local kids.

On another note, it's not the "local" kids that LU needs, it's the "local" kids that would otherwise leave to equal or better programs (big difference than just saying "local") BUT, this would never happen, those type kids would not stay home to an LU with offers to more lucrative programs and/or a chance to go away....so what gives?

LU, as already mentioned, should have hired the best household name with program building experience they could have afforded (if they were serious about getting back on the map) NOT a juco coach, just because he had local ties....

Edited correction : LU has 25 players from the GT area = 25% of their roster is already "local".

It's hard to compare Beaumont with San Antonio. UTSA is in a major city with no pro team and has over 30,000 students. Hiring Larry Coker didn't hurt either. UTSA will be a good mid major that big schools won't want to play as long as Coker is there.

yep! Just ask Arizona ;)

I disagree whole heartedly. This has been stated many times about several LU sports teams. But since we are on football I'll stick to those numbers. If you look at LU's roster, it has nearly 20 kids from the GT area (I think 5 from Silsbee alone)...if you compare rosters with any of the top 3 in the SLC SELU, MSU, and SHSU you would find very few from the area in which the school is located. The only exceptions are, whereas SELU is near baton Rouge and New Orleans, and SHSU is near Houston, these can hardly count as local kids.

On another note, it's not the "local" kids that LU needs, it's the "local" kids that would otherwise leave to equal or better programs (big difference than just saying "local") BUT, this would never happen, those type kids would not stay home to an LU with offers to more lucrative programs and/or a chance to go away....so what gives?

LU, as already mentioned, should have hired the best household name with program building experience they could have afforded (if they were serious about getting back on the map) NOT a juco coach, just because he had local ties....

Edited correction : LU has 25 players from the GT area = 25% of their roster is already "local".

25% is all? How many of those kids actually get much playing time?

The other schools you mentioned aren't commuter schools. Granted, Lamar is doing its best to fight that reputation and is having some success, but the bottom line is, Lamar's student population comes overwhelmingly from the Golden Triangle. I don't think you can say that of the rest of those schools. And even if you could, the fact remains that you won't find, collectively, the number of high school football fans in Huntsville, Nacogdoches, Lafayette or Lake Charles that you will in Southeast Texas. None of those areas have anything resembling a PN-G, and yet we've got three high schools I can think of off the top of my head that can fill up Lamar's stadium better than Lamar can. Use what you have to work with.

As for the coaching, I plead the fifth.

Ok, let's compare us to South Alabama in Mobile. Enrollment at USA & Lamar for 2013 was 15,311 / 14,054 and Mobile population is a little larger than Beaumont at 194,822 / 118,228.

USA just put over 33,000 in there stadium this past Saturday with SEC Mississippi State. They lost 35 to 3, but not a total blow out.

USA started playing in 2009 and Lamar starts back in 2010. They finished 6-6 (4-3 in Sunbelt) and FCS Bowl elgiable in 2013.

Lamar finished 5-7 (2-5 in Southland) and watched the bowl games like the rest of us.

Ok, let's compare us to South Alabama in Mobile. Enrollment at USA & Lamar for 2013 was 15,311 / 14,054 and Mobile population is a little larger than Beaumont at 194,822 / 118,228.

USA just put over 33,000 in there stadium this past Saturday with SEC Mississippi State. They lost 35 to 3, but not a total blow out.

USA started playing in 2009 and Lamar starts back in 2010. They finished 6-6 (4-3 in Sunbelt) and FCS Bowl elgiable in 2013.

Lamar finished 5-7 (2-5 in Southland) and watched the bowl games like the rest of us.

How many of the 33K were Miss State fans?

How many of the 33K were Miss State fans?

I don't know the break down, but just for fun say 75/25. Which is probably high for Miss St. I think Lamar would take that crowd any Saturday at home. Point is USA is competing at a higher level than Lamar and Lamar is no closer to that level today than the day they started 5 years ago. Oh where has the time gone?

I don't know the break down, but just for fun say 75/25. Which is probably high for Miss St. I think Lamar would take that crowd any Saturday at home. Point is USA is competing at a higher level than Lamar and Lamar is no closer to that level today than the day they started 5 years ago. Oh where has the time gone?

But that does not help build your fan base.

Problem is, no power school is going to agree to come and play at Lamar (or probably any FCS school for that matter). They might put you on the schedule for an easy win home game, but they ain't coming to your place. USA is a sun belt conference team I believe. In the mid majors, you have a shot at getting a home and home deal. Usually a home, home, and home though (with 2 at the power conf team's place).

Having a Power 5 school come to your place, sell lots of tickets, and beat you by 30+ points.

Competing on a level where a "Power 5" school will come to your home field will build your fan base. I would line up tomorrow for tickets to see a SMU, Rice or a U of H in Beaumont. And those aren't "Power 5" schools. You won't see me at Lamar anymore for Tx College, Grambling or Oklahoma Panhandle.