Jerry Jones Drafting Michael Sam

He didn't draft him!!!!  They signed him to the practice squad.

Sam is good and is gonna be good. The dude wasn't SEC defensive player of the year for no reason.  He didnt have a good presason because he is a bad player.   When everyone stops whining about him being gay he will get his chance to prove it. Until then I feel bad for the guy.  He could probably start at D. End on over half the teams today.

Man, I can see it all now. Every Cowboy game, the cameras will pan to the "new section" where we will see all the Pom poms, pink shirts, rainbow colors and the like. It will look like the cheerleading squad in Adam Sandler's " The Longest Yard"! They will get more air time than the beautiful Cowboy Cheerleaders!

He didn't draft him!!!! They signed him to the practice squad.

Sam is good and is gonna be good. The dude wasn't SEC defensive player of the year for no reason. He didnt have a good presason because he is a bad player. When everyone stops whining about him being gay he will get his chance to prove it. Until then I feel bad for the guy. He could probably start at D. End on over half the teams today.

No need to feel bad for the guy, he is the one who chose to make an issue out of his sexual orientation. All he had to do was show up and play ball, but decided the media circus was the better route. I still have no idea why it is necessary for anyone of any sexual orientation to broadcast it to the world. It his business, keep it that way.

Leaving his sexual preferences and media circus aside, Sam is a little small for the NFL. Saying that, the Cowboys are weak on defense and can use the help. He will play this year. When he does, the #46 Cowboys jersey will replace the rainbow for the LGBT'ers! Jerry Jones has a new audience and revenue stream.

Shovel is right about Sam being undersized for his position, but he's a very talented player.  Jerry may have had some ulterior motives in picking him up, but realistically Sam is likely good enough to play for the Cowboys this year, and the position he plays fits into their general defensive scheme.  I personally don't care what his sexual orientation is, nor do I care that he chose to tell the world.  As long as his play on the field is judged by his ability, he'll be given a fair shake.  if he can't cut it, then he shouldn't be given extra chances because he's gay.  on the flipside of that, if he can cut it, he shouldn't be given less chances because he's gay.  we'll see what happens.

If you want people to not make a big deal out of your sexual orientation then why would you make a big deal out of it. It was/is IMO stupid to feel the need to tell the world.

The problem being if it came out, it was going to be a big deal. At least he was able to do it on his own terms.

Just maybe, he is not good enough to play on NFL. How many teams passed? How many times did rams pass? He was their 3 of 4 picks in the 7th round! How many players from the 4-5 round make a team ? SEC award means nothing in NFL. List the successful/bust Heisman winners. Some people are just college players. If he was cut because of his "announcement", maybe he was picked because of his "announcement"? Conspiracy theory could be NFL did not want to read paper about not drafting a player that is openly gay. Maybe they asked Rams to pick him as one of last picks knowing he would never make it. Just saying. I believe he was cut due to lack of ability to contribute to a NFL team. Especially one with unbelievable defensive personnel. And Jerra is just an idiot. See any activity of his lately as proof. But good luck to him

No need to feel bad for the guy, he is the one who chose to make an issue out of his sexual orientation. All he had to do was show up and play ball, but decided the media circus was the better route. I still have no idea why it is necessary for anyone of any sexual orientation to broadcast it to the world. It his business, keep it that way.

He's gay and he decided to be the one to tell his story this was not done for attention he was SEC defense player of the year he ain't need the attention he had already told his teammates at mizzou that he was gay. THE MEDIA AND EVERYBODY ELSE IS MAKING THIS A BIG DEAL.

He's gay and he decided to be the one to tell his story this was not done for attention he was SEC defense player of the year he ain't need the attention he had already told his teammates at mizzou that he was gay. THE MEDIA AND EVERYBODY ELSE IS MAKING THIS A BIG DEAL.

He did it on national tv, yes HE made it a BIG DEAL.

So he told the world he was gay so what. That's all that it should have been. He had no choice alot of NFL GMs knew of this already. Picture how big of a story it would be if someone other than sam made that announcement for him. He had no choice but to own it. football should be about football and nothing else but just like tim tebow he's consider a hero to some. And just like Tebow teams will rather not deal with the attention.

He would have been better off had he not said anything. He would have been less of a distraction and greatly increased the number of teams who might have been interested. He didn't do it for his own gain. I think he did it to pave the way for the future players to be open about who they are. He put his beliefs over his own personal gain. You may not agree with him, but there is something admirable in his sacrifice.

And I have no idea what it is like for guys like Sam, as a heterosexual. But supposedly living in secret is not something they enjoy.

As for his play, I will bet he plays in a game this year for Dallas. He can play and can fill a great need they have.