Obama Calls Out ‘Millionaires’ to Pay for Student Loans

LumRaiderFan

Are you rich? GOD forbid if one of you guys need assistance. How stupid do you have to be to argue with the super wealthy who dont mind paying a higher percentage of their income in taxes.

Really?!  LOL!!  I always think it's amazing how liberals are so free with "other people's money!"  

I don't agree with Obama on this, but I do have a problem with the outrageous costs of getting a college degree. For a good percentage of students, loans are the only option. Sure, there are cheap(er) options out there, but many employers look at where your degree was earned. It's near or more than $20K to attend most of the big colleges in Texas for one year, and it's becoming tougher to finish a degree in 4 years. So most of your educations are going to cost $100K to complete. That's a racket, but the only choice a kid has if he wants to work a job that requires a degree is to find a way to pay it. Some parents can afford $20K a year, and some kids get scholarships, but there are more kids than not that are expected to find a way to foot the bill.

I think that a lot of these issues can be resolved with a prospective student doing adequate research of what's available out there and adding in a dose of common sense.  If one compares the cost of getting a French Literature Degree at Columbia to getting a business degree at Arizona State or North Carolina, from my perspective, they will have received a comparable education for 50% less and they will become a much more desirable commodity for the workforce.( if this happened frequently enough, the market would likely cause some changes in the pricing structures at the high priced schools)  Furthermore, doing so does NOT require any type of government intervention which includes another bureaucracy which is expensive, ineffective, and without accountability. The final plus, of course, is that a problem can actually be solved without the answer being some sort of tax for those "not paying their fair share".  When you refer to college education as a racket, I would say that the college education racket pales in comparison to the "Affordable" Health Care Act racket.

I would assume one would be more of a problem for you because you don't have to deal with the other. I don't know that many things "pale in comparison" to having a large percentage of our potential young, educated workforce incurring large amounts of debt in order to join that workforce.

. I have dealt with "the other" and paid as agreed. My point is that there are a lot of ways to avoid amassing huge sums of debt. My original suggestion is accurate from a cost perspective. I lived at home for my college years not because I wanted to but because it was practical and less expensive. That did not scar me for life. Once again, the only solution some seem to think is viable, is simply another tax.