***SETXSPORTS.COM BASEBALL PRE-SEASON TOP TEN***

Released by MIF04

Here it is:

SETXSPORTS.COM BASEBALL PRE-SEASON TOP TEN

With the start of practice only two weeks away, your editors at SETXSPORTS.COM present the first rankings – the Basebal Pre-Season Top Ten:

1. WEST BROOK

The Bruins return nearly everybody from last year’s 20-9 team including pre-season MVP David Murphy and other 1st teamers Tim Ferguson, Mark Serna, Bobby Armstrong, Thad Lycan and Josiah Svoboda.  The Bruins should score runs by the bunchs and if the pitching trio of Svoboda, Murphy and Serna (with help from Josh Fisher and newcomer Ronnie Mitchell) remain solid, it could be a very special year for Coach Walton and the boys from Beaumont.

2. NEDERLAND

Coach Robbins and the ‘Dogs are the prohibitive district favorites this year.  Why?  Start with Beau Helmke as the staff’s ace as the Lamar signee has gotten even better during the off-season.  Add stalwarts such as Micah Mosely, Alex Moshier, Ryan Sampere and big bopper Aaron McFarland and the Bulldogs are ready to take a bite out of their opponents in 2007.

3. SILSBEE

You win championships with pitching and defense, right?  Pre-season Pitching MVP Joel Schooling leads a Silsbee staff that is as good as any 3A team in the area.  Add standout RHP Kevin McDonald and the Tigers hold a pitching edge nearly every Tuesday and Friday during district.  Add sr. CF Rocky Calhoun along with 2B Blake Moss and C Colby Hargrave and the Tigers are certainly strong up the middle. 

4. BRIDGE CITY

So, the Cardinals made someone mad at the UIL and got re-aligned with Silsbee and Jasper in the most competitive 3A district in the Region.  No problem.  They lost starting pitchers and position players.  No problem – the Cardinals follow the old adage – they don’t rebuild, they reload.  LSU signee Johnny Dishon and C Casey Jackson lead a potent offense and LHP Jeff Stringer leads a solid pitching corps that also includs RHP Philip Meeks.  What a good district race this will be.

5. BARBERS HILL

The Eagles pushed BC to the limit in last year’s playoffs and return stronger and more experienced this year.  Jr. LHP Ross Hales (who shut out BC during those playoffs) and Chase Barrera are forces to reckon with on the ‘bump’ while 1st team C Cameron Campbell leads an offense that should again be potent.  Criticized for last year’s easy pre-season schedule, this year is different.  An early season gem?  West Brook vs. BH in game 1 of the Houston Christian tourney.

6. PNG

Disappointment reigned supreme last year at The Reservation as the senior-laden Indians struggled all season.  This year, youth will be served for Coach Stone’s bunch led by promising RHP Shawn Flores along with juniors Jon Carnahan and Eric Harrington and soph Jerin Spikes.  The Indians may be inexperienced but they are very talented.  They will keep up their end of the bargain for baseball’s version of “Mid County Madnessâ€.

7. JASPER

A sleeper at #7, these Bulldogs will be very, very good if they catch a few breaks.  They need complete, healthy seasons from pitchers Travis Regan and Justin Parsons and offensive support from C Robert Shelhammer but SS Taylor Hart has already taken his place among the area’s elite.  Coach Mixon should be able to squeeze every ounce of talent from this group and, in the ‘new and improved’ district, they’ll need it.

8. HUFFMAN

Like Silsbee, the Falcons start with strong pitching in District MVP Michael Listi and mound-mate Heath Arnold. A healthy Arnold gives Huffman a strong 1-2 punch for district play and, with offensive support from Zac Sipes and Jeff Schmidt, they will be a strong contender in their 4A district.

9. AND 10. (TIE)   OZEN and LCM

We like the battle here for our last 2 spots (and potentially the last play off spot).  The Panthers could surprise with 3 deep pitching of Josh Gardiner, Deston James and DD Lott and overcome an overall lack of depth.  The Battlin’ Bears return only Jake Rowell but what a stick – as good as you’ll see anywhere in the area.   LCM also returns this guy named “Griff†– that alone makes them dangerous and a contender from Feb thru May.

ON THE BUBBLE:

Early season tournament play always provides some topsy turvey moments in our poll so watch for someone like the Vidor Pirates to make some noise. Kyle Greens’ group is talented and experienced.  Ditto for Woodville as Coach Hennigan’s group is the #10 team statewide in 2A.  Of course, last year no one mentioned HF during the preseason and all the Longhorns did was dang near run the table during preseason play.  Surprises, surprises…that’s why they still play the games…

look at huffmans schedule... by hard the hardest in the 4a state level 1) The woodlands tourney 2) Klien Collins Tourney both i believe are ranked in what the top 4 in the state for 5a dont get me wrong and please tell me if i am but i beleive it is a prettty good pre season schedule

I was just wondering why Huffman and Barbers Hill are included in the SETXSPORTS web site.  If you include them then why not include the Baytown schools and Laport too, and what about Crosby and Channelview and even Galena Park and New Caney.  Where do you draw the line.  At least the Baytown schools are included in the local 5A district.  Dayton is now included because they are part of the 4A district.  What about Liberty.  They are closer than any of these schools.  I say if you can pick up the local TV channels then you are included in Southeast Texas.  If not then you bunch up with the Houston area schools.

I was just wondering why Huffman and Barbers Hill are included in the SETXSPORTS web site.  If you include them then why not include the Baytown schools and Laport too, and what about Crosby and Channelview and even Galena Park and New Caney.  Where do you draw the line.  At least the Baytown schools are included in the local 5A district.  Dayton is now included because they are part of the 4A district.  What about Liberty.  They are closer than any of these schools.  I say if you can pick up the local TV channels then you are included in Southeast Texas.  If not then you bunch up with the Houston area schools.

I think they are included because they participate on this site.  They have just kind of wormed their way in, so to speak. 

I think they are included because they participate on this site.  They have just kind of wormed their way in, so to speak. 

Wormed our way in? That's rich coming from a sticky mind. We don't worm our way in we kick the front door down. 

No worming we were officially invited to come here ;D We are here to keep you locals in check or you guys would break your arms patting each other on the back ;D

Also the board is called South East Texas Sports not Golden Triangle Sports! I do wish that our districts could be included as well, but you have to draw the line somewhere so it is what it is :-*

No worming we were officially invited to come here ;D We are here to keep you locals in check or you guys would break your arms patting each other on the back ;D

Also the board is called South East Texas Sports not Golden Triangle Sports! I do wish that our districts could be included as well, but you have to draw the line somewhere so it is what it is :-*

more like... mid-county sports!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder