Military to ban tobacco!

Like to hear some thoughts on this. Most ridiculous thing I believe I've heard of  just one more way to lead to the major reduction of volunteer soldiers and further weaken the United States. A man willing to fight and die for mine and the freedoms of the political elite should be able to partake in a legal substance!jmo

http://www.ksla.com/story/25124254/military-considers-banning-tobacco-use-and-sales-on-bases-and-ships

i can understand them WANTING to do this for two reasons:

1. the smoking related healthcare costs for veterans totals over
a billion dollars a year
2. Non-smokers make much more fit, in-shape fighters.

That being said, screw them for considering actually acting on it. Our veterans give up large chunks of their lives (if not their life itself) to serve our country and protect our freedoms. And as far as I am concerned, if a man goes out and gets shot at for me and my country, he can smoke (chew, dip) as much as he wants, and we'll just find a way to foot the bill if he gets sick later. With all of the money being wasted by politicians on both sides of the aisle, the expense of veterans' healthcare should be the least of our worries.

i can understand them WANTING to do this for two reasons:

1. the smoking related healthcare costs for veterans totals over
a billion dollars a year
2. Non-smokers make much more fit, in-shape fighters.

That being said, screw them for considering actually acting on it. Our veterans give up large chunks of their lives (if not their life itself) to serve our country and protect our freedoms. And as far as I am concerned, if a man goes out and gets shot at for me and my country, he can smoke (chew, dip) as much as he wants, and we'll just find a way to foot the bill if he gets sick later. With all of the money being wasted by politicians on both sides of the aisle, the expense of veterans' healthcare should be the least of our worries.

I agree...one of the few things that the fed gov SHOULD actually be responsible for.

Be willing to engage the enemy, but don't smoke...smh.

Let me get this straight: The military, a government entity, wants to ban tobacco.  BUT, on the other hand, the government SUBSIDIZES tobacco farmers!  PLUS -- they fund their precious programs on taxes collected from where -- tobacco products!!

I say AMAZING!!!!  One of these days we are going to wake up and turn this country back around to where it make some sort of sense! 

Just a step further, if a 17 year old is old enough to die for his country, he is also old enough to drink, smoke, buy pistols, and anything else someone 21 and over is allowed to do.

Here is the problem that I have with the often stated, "If they are old enough" answers.

Because a very limited few people volunteer to take a risk, do you really want to be on the roads with a new crop of 17 year old kids that can now legally drink? It seems that we are trying to lump all people in with a few that are willing and mature enough to serve their country.

The "old enough" arguments really have no bearing on reality of life. 

Also for those putting their lives on the line, I believe that once outside of the country, 18 is the minimum wage. A cook in the Air Force that never leaves TX is hardly putting his life on the line. If called to duty overseas, then he can drink at 18 when he actually is "putting his life on the line". 

To take the reverse of the very few that are willing to take the risk and therefore "all" 17 or 18 year old people should be able to do whatever, think of this. In TX you can be criminally certified as an adult at 14 years old. Although it is only a limited few people have that happens to (just like joining the military), it is possible for any child so let's just lower all ages to 14. Perhaps we should then end child molesting if the "child" is at least 14 and consents to sex. So if the 35 year old neighbor talks your 14 year old daughter into sex, who cares? A 14 year old can go to prison so no matter how immature, they should be able to consent to anything... right? How about a 15 year old signing a contract? And if they can do all of these things that they have been deemed by some as having earned by age, can the parents legally abandon them at those ages? 

The "old enough" argument, while on the face of it seems interesting, opens up a can of worms that a majority of people will think is ludicrous. 

Not so long ago, a 15 year old unwed female was considered an old maid. Funny how the age thing evolves. No, I don't want to be on the road with a bunch of drunk 17 year olds anymore than I want to be on the road with a bunch of drunk 21+ year olds. This year's military is voluntary, but not so long ago, 17 year olds were drafted to fight in the Vietnamese jungles.....too young to drink. Again, funny how that age thing has evolved. Old enough to carry a gun and die, but no old enough to buy a pistol. I don't think your "tried as an adult" runs parallel with the "old enough to die for one's country", but I do see where you you make the argument.

If the govt. bans tobacco in the military and claims for health reasons then they must also guarantee no one using welfare dollars or Medicaid or food stamps will be smoking either!

I wholeheartedly agree on this. Also, no Medicaid for kids if their parents smoke in the house. I don't know how many students I've had who came in stinking of smoke all the time who had chronic allergies and sinus infections.