End of the Student athlete?

PhatMack19

It will be interesting to see if these "unions" are also seperated by divisions: D1, D2, etc....

If you're a "Teamster" the only thing that distinguishes one member from another is tenure. Will these players be treated the same regardless of division? Will the kid from Trinity University receive the same represntation as the kid from LSU?

It's a bad decision IMO.

This could be the death of College Athletics as we know them.  If this follows its normal path and we do get pay for play (which in theory I am not against) then the days of the smaller programs may be at the end - as many will find it hard to get the $$$$ to pay their players as the programs are already operating at a loss.  Also, this seems to have people only talking about the football programs but this will affect all programs including the women's programs due to Title IX.  This has the potential to kill athletic programs for the medium to small schools which in effect will lower the number of scholarships available and therefore lessen the number of opportunities for high school athletes to get college paid for by the Universities.  This could really backfire on he very core group of people it is intended to assist - the college athlete as there is very likely to not be as many as before.

The big universities can and will find ways to pay their athletes but the programs that are already operating at a loss will likely have to consider what the future of their programs will be.

This has the potential if allowed to forever change the landscape of College Athletics - and I believe not for the good.

I know this is not directly leading to pay for play - but in my opinion that is the likely direction that this will take - if not immediately then soon.

I am a huge college fan but this ruling is ridiculous. I say if they want to be considered employees of the college then they need to see what it is like to be in the work force. Go ahead and pay these kids but, cut back on the scholarship percentage and let them see what it's like to be a working man and pay for what you want......I believe an athlete that gets his tuition paid for and stays in the athlete's dorms with meals is enough for these kids. If they want spending money then let them work in the offseason and learn to save......receiving a scholarship to a college is an honor not a priveledge. Some kids now days are so spoiled they don't appreciate what is given to them, all they want is more. This is going to hurt college sports a whole lot more then help it. Big schools will even suffer in the long run. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Look what happened to the NFL since the union came in. It created a lot of greedy men who are basically playing for the money and not for the passion of the game like it should be. Same will happen in college....Just wait.

I am a huge college fan but this ruling is ridiculous. I say if they want to be considered employees of the college then they need to see what it is like to be in the work force. Go ahead and pay these kids but, cut back on the scholarship percentage and let them see what it's like to be a working man and pay for what you want......I believe an athlete that gets his tuition paid for and stays in the athlete's dorms with meals is enough for these kids. If they want spending money then let them work in the offseason and learn to save......receiving a scholarship to a college is an honor not a priveledge. Some kids now days are so spoiled they don't appreciate what is given to them, all they want is more. This is going to hurt college sports a whole lot more then help it. Big schools will even suffer in the long run. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Look what happened to the NFL since the union came in. It created a lot of greedy men who are basically playing for the money and not for the passion of the game like it should be. Same will happen in college....Just wait.

I cant hit the like button enough times for your post!!!!

So how will these "poor" college athletes pay their Union Dues? Surely they do not expect their "employer" to include Union Dues along with the scholarship they already receive.

Will the Union include ALL collegiate athletes or just the ones that consider themselves "important" (Football and Mens Basketball)?

When you open Pandora's Box, you had better be prepared for the consequences.

This could be the death of College Athletics as we know them.

You are right, but the death will be with all those schools who are not in the "power" conferences plus ND!!  Those guys can afford to pay the players and can pay much more than the smaller conference schools.  The unintended consequences are yet to be known from all this.

Actually, use the MLB if you want to make an anti-union argument.  The success of the NFL and the inability of the NFLPA to get a CBA akin to baseball's has created a parity like no other league.  And the result is the most popular sport in the land by a MILE, including CFB...

Actually, use the MLB if you want to make an anti-union argument.  The success of the NFL and the inability of the NFLPA to get a CBA akin to baseball's has created a parity like no other league.  And the result is the most popular sport in the land by a MILE, including CFB...

I agree that football is the most popular sport but you cannot compare this to any professional sport or league as they are all for profit business's.  Where to comparison is and I think can be used is for major programs like Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc.... as those really all operate on a profit margin and fund other programs within the university.  Where it fails is for the other 1/2 of the programs that already operate at a loss and the school funds these programs out of student fees - these schools and universities will have to look long and hard look and where to cut athletics if this vote or decision ends up costing the programs more money.

My prediction is if implemented you may see 1/4 to as much as 1/3 of currently offered athletic programs being cut if not totally at least partially - the likely programs that will be cut will likely not be football, basketball or even baseball but swimming, track and field and other low turnout programs will likely feel the axe even at come major universities.  

I still don't understand the end game here. One of the main issues is injury. Do these guys want health benefits after they leave school? As far as I know, if you are injured on the job as an athlete, you are covered by the university's health insurance. My son broke his hand during a game with UH last season. We did not pay a dime for the surgery or rehab.

What more do they want?

I agree that football is the most popular sport but you cannot compare this to any professional sport or league as they are all for profit business's. Where to comparison is and I think can be used is for major programs like Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc.... as those really all operate on a profit margin and fund other programs within the university. Where it fails is for the other 1/2 of the programs that already operate at a loss and the school funds these programs out of student fees - these schools and universities will have to look long and hard look and where to cut athletics if this vote or decision ends up costing the programs more money.

My prediction is if implemented you may see 1/4 to as much as 1/3 of currently offered athletic programs being cut if not totally at least partially - the likely programs that will be cut will likely not be football, basketball or even baseball but swimming, track and field and other low turnout programs will likely feel the axe even at come major universities.

Sorry - I don't disagree with much, if anything you say here. Just saying there are better examples.

FYI - Real Sports did a piece on the NCAA this week that was excellent (Bernard Goldberg reporting). I fear that the "student athlete" has not existed for the most part in the big programs for a long time. The system is already broke, and I really don't have any answer to fix it.

• 1 month later...

36 players declared for the draft early and did not get drafted. Now they have no degree and most likely no job.

I wonder how many of those 36 would go back go college if they had the chance.

It's a hard lesson to learn. The question really is who gave them information that suggested they should even enter the draft? Maybe those people should give them a job.

You're being gullible if you think the majority of these student (loosely used) athletes are going to school to learn.

I saw some of the union people comparing student athletes to slaves or indentured servants. I just wonder if those 36 would rather go back and subject themselves to another year of "slavery" in order to get their "free" education.

One of the few issues that have for the current system is during the off months. One of my friends plays for SFA, and they were effectively told that summer workouts were a requirement, and scholarships don't cover that, the team is helping but he is still going to have to put forth a grand or so. Football is a year long commitment at this level, and if your taking a full load of classes getting a job can be difficult with a football schedule. The scholarships should be adjusted to cover everything.

One of the few issues that have for the current system is during the off months. One of my friends plays for SFA, and they were effectively told that summer workouts were a requirement, and scholarships don't cover that, the team is helping but he is still going to have to put forth a grand or so. Football is a year long commitment at this level, and if your taking a full load of classes getting a job can be difficult with a football schedule. The scholarships should be adjusted to cover everything.

He needs to get one of those "field maintenance" jobs. Most schools have them.