Crimea

rolltides

Wasn't that Germany? Thought Russia got Crimea as part of the spoils.

I took it to mean that you were wondering what one country involving another meant to use on the other side of the world. 

WWI in particular started in this same general area of the world when countries started arguing over territorial disputes, foes and allies, etc. 

Interesting situation.    Basically an island, that belongs to one country, but the majority wants to belong to a different country.   What would we do if hawaii decided it wanted to belong to Japan?

Different situation.  Crimea and all of the old/new states were occupied and absorbed into the old USSR after WWII.  Hawaii chose by a vote to join the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Territorial-changes-of-Poland-1635-2009-small.gif

File:Territorial-changes-of-Poland-1635-

Whatever one thinks should be done can be debated for days, but when a stronger, aggressive country "absorbs" another countries territory it shant be good. Now add to the mix that the aggressor country used to claim the whole of the other country as part of its empire, then appeasement has long term deadly consequences.   

the question is, how would the vote have gone had the area NOT been flooded with Russia forces...

...or, would they have been able to have a vote if Russia hadn't come in. I'm not supporting Russia's move but the peolpe want it.  Like i said, I really don't understand their mess.

...or, would they have been able to have a vote if Russia hadn't come in. I'm not supporting Russia's move but the peolpe want it.  Like i said, I really don't understand their mess.

i agree, but i'm not sure they would've wanted a vote.  i've seen where it's pretty divided there, not the overwhelming support that russia is reporting.  but then again, i know nothing about this area.

I don't understand, didn't the Crimea people just vote to join Russia?

Pretty much along cultural lines.  But they are part of the Ukraine.  It would be the same as if Hispanics in south Texas voted to join Mexico.  Not legal as Texas is part of the US.

I took it to mean that you were wondering what one country involving another meant to use on the other side of the world. 

WWI in particular started in this same general area of the world when countries started arguing over territorial disputes, foes and allies, etc.

No sir. I was only wondering, if the Ukraine was previously a Russian satellite, why it would be so devastating for that to happen again?

If I remember my history, the assassination of Ferdinand started WWI, and the invasion of Poland started WWII, although there are several other factors that contributed, this event was considered to be the beginning. At my age, memory is not my strong suit.

Fact: You can say what you want, give all your justified reasons why Russia shouldn't have done this, Put all the sanctions on Russia that you like. It will only put America in a worse situation. Russia is going to do as they please in this situation. They care nothing about world opinion or political correctness. They had this won before it started. Just the facts, might taste bad but it's the fact. We shouldn't have gotten involved. Now we look like fools. Same outcome no matter what party was in the White House. We should take a few pages out of Mother Russia's book. Do what you feel is necessary, don't worry about popular opinion. Face it, any military action we've been involved in hasn't turned out well for us recently. Due to our political leaders. There about as worthy as lawyers. Most of them are. IMO
Again those Islamic country must be loving this. They don't have to lift a finger. Two of the major powers could destroy themselves. At least to my knowledge China is smart enough to stay out of other peoples business.