Rutgers faculty protest Condoleezza Rice as commencement speaker

LumRaiderFan

it's a liberal college. she's the opposite as that. aTm would probably protest Obama. I don't see it as that big of a deal. I'll be happy to go do it and say anything they want me to say for $35K and an honorary doctorate, though.

But arent those "liberal" colleges supposed to encourage free thinking and how to be "tolerant" of the views/values of others?  If Ahmadinejad is ok to speak at Columbia, why in the world wouldnt Condi Rice be acceptable at Rutgers?  Here are the words of the Columbia President just prior to Ahmadinejad speech.  Please tell me how any of that would not apply in this instance:

"

Second, to those who believe that this event should never have happened, that it is inappropriate for the university to conduct such an event, I want to say that I understand your perspective and respect it as reasonable. The scope of free speech in academic freedom should itself always be open to further debate. As one of the more famous quotations about free speech goes, it is an experiment as all life is an experiment. I want to say, however, as forcefully as I can that this is the right thing to do, and indeed it is required by the existing norms of free speech, the American university and Columbia itself.

Third, to those among us who experience hurt and pain as a result of this day, I say on behalf of all of us that we are sorry and wish to do what we can to alleviate it.

Fourth, to be clear on another matter, this event has nothing whatsoever to do with any rights of the speaker, but only with our rights to listen and speak. We do it for ourselves. We do it in the great tradition of openness that has defined this nation for many decades now. We need to understand the world we live in, neither neglecting its glories nor shrinking from its threats and dangers. It is inconsistent with the idea that one should know thine enemy — I’m sorry — it is consistent with the idea that one should know thine enemies, to have the intellectual and emotional courage to confront the mind of evil, and to prepare ourselves to act with the right temperament. In the moment, the arguments for free speech will never seem to match the power of the arguments against, but what we must remember is that this is precisely because free speech asks us to exercise extraordinary self-restraint against the very natural but often counterproductive impulses that lead us to retreat from engagement with ideas we dislike and fear. In this lies the genius of the American idea of free speech.

Lastly, in universities we have a deep and almost single-minded commitment to pursue the truth. We do not have access to the levers of power, we cannot make war or peace, we can only make minds, and to do this, we must have the most fulsome freedom of inquiry."

Many liberals in our institutes of higher learning would rather suppress a conservative viewpoint than debate it...much easier to form those young minds if they only hear one side.

I can guarantee you that this works both ways, having grown up in the deep south.

it's a liberal college. she's the opposite as that. aTm would probably protest Obama. I don't see it as that big of a deal. I'll be happy to go do it and say anything they want me to say for $35K and an honorary doctorate, though.

In fact Obama did come to A&M as my nephew was on campus when he did.  There was not great outcry to prevent him from coming nor were there much of any protest!  When you are on the right side of the issues, you welcome the debate, but when you are on the wrong side you try to suppress it with intolerance and muzzling!!  I think you can see which side the esteemed professors of Rutgers fall in!!!

I can guarantee you that this works both ways, having grown up in the deep south.

I won't disagree that it happens both ways, but by far the majority of college professors are liberals and have only a classroom view of how things work in the real world...and there are plenty in the deep south.

In fact Obama did come to A&M as my nephew was on campus when he did.  There was not great outcry to prevent him from coming nor were there much of any protest!  When you are on the right side of the issues, you welcome the debate, but when you are on the wrong side you try to suppress it with intolerance and muzzling!!  I think you can see which side the esteemed professors of Rutgers fall in!!!

he came and gave the most important speech of the year? or he dropped by for a tour? there is a big difference, and i don't know the answer to my question, but it wouldn't have been an issue had she just been visiting the campus.

I won't disagree that it happens both ways, but by far the majority of college professors are liberals and have only a classroom view of how things work in the real world...and there are plenty in the deep south.

i actually spent 2 years at a regular, liberal(ish) college, and 2 1/2 years at a strictly conservative Christian college. It was my experience that the vast majority of college professors just teach you what they're supposed to teach you. Out of the however many professors i had (maybe 50 or so?), i'd guess less than 5 abused their position to try and push their views on their students, and they came from both schools. I also think that the college you choose is going to dictate how liberal your professors are for the most part. There are ultra-liberal schools, ultra-conservative schools, and most schools fall somewhere in between. Rutgers is obviously a very liberal school. I didn't agree with the war when we got involved however many years ago it's been now, but if i were the dean of a college i'd be happy to have Condi Rice speak to my students. But as i said in my original post, a super-conservative college would most likely complain about a very liberal speaker.

i actually spent 2 years at a regular, liberal(ish) college, and 2 1/2 years at a strictly conservative Christian college. It was my experience that the vast majority of college professors just teach you what they're supposed to teach you. Out of the however many professors i had (maybe 50 or so?), i'd guess less than 5 abused their position to try and push their views on their students, and they came from both schools. I also think that the college you choose is going to dictate how liberal your professors are for the most part. There are ultra-liberal schools, ultra-conservative schools, and most schools fall somewhere in between. Rutgers is obviously a very liberal school. I didn't agree with the war when we got involved however many years ago it's been now, but if i were the dean of a college i'd be happy to have Condi Rice speak to my students. But as i said in my original post, a super-conservative college would most likely complain about a very liberal speaker.

Article is several years old but I would think still accurate.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8427-2005Mar28.html

From the article:

By their own description, 72 percent of those teaching at American universities and colleges are liberal and 15 percent are conservative, says the study being published this week. The imbalance is almost as striking in partisan terms, with 50 percent of the faculty members surveyed identifying themselves as Democrats and 11 percent as Republicans.

Many professors are very liberal and many teach subjects according to their own view (I've been to college too), there's no denying that.

The left is much less tolerant of a conservative viewpoint that the other way around...just the way it is.

From the article:

By their own description, 72 percent of those teaching at American universities and colleges are liberal and 15 percent are conservative, says the study being published this week. The imbalance is almost as striking in partisan terms, with 50 percent of the faculty members surveyed identifying themselves as Democrats and 11 percent as Republicans.

Many professors are very liberal and many teach subjects according to their own view (I've been to college too), there's no denying that.

The left is much less tolerant of a conservative viewpoint that the other way around...just the way it is.

You are spot on and there is nothing 50-50(or even close) about the political leanings of college professors

From the article:

From the article:

By their own description, 72 percent of those teaching at American universities and colleges are liberal and 15 percent are conservative, says the study being published this week. The imbalance is almost as striking in partisan terms, with 50 percent of the faculty members surveyed identifying themselves as Democrats and 11 percent as Republicans.[/size]

[size=4]Many professors are very liberal and many teach subjects according to their own view (I've been to college too), there's no denying that.[/size]

[size=4]The left is much less tolerant of a conservative viewpoint that the other way around...just the way it is.[/size]

having given a liberal viewpoint on here for many years, i call complete and total BS. 

You are spot on and there is nothing 50-50(or even close) about the political leanings of college professors

I'm not sure how long ago LumRaiderFan went to college, but i know it's been a while since you were there.  i've only been out 8 years, and i went to conservative AND liberal colleges, and i didn't feel particularly pressed upon by professors of either school. So even if they were liberal professors, i generally experienced classes that stuck to what we were supposed to learn. No doubt there are professors out there on BOTH sides who do try to push their ideals on their students, but it was MY experience that most of them did not.

A quote you didn't post from the article:

"It's hard to see that these liberal views cut very deeply into the education of students. In fact, a number of studies show the core values that students bring into the university are not very much altered by being in college."

I'm not sure how long ago LumRaiderFan went to college, but i know it's been a while since you were there.  i've only been out 8 years, and i went to conservative AND liberal colleges, and i didn't feel particularly pressed upon by professors of either school. So even if they were liberal professors, i generally experienced classes that stuck to what we were supposed to learn. No doubt there are professors out there on BOTH sides who do try to push their ideals on their students, but it was MY experience that most of them did not.

So your view of how things work in the real world are based on your experiences only...get real.

Believe it or not, there are things happening out there that you haven't experienced!  :)

I'm just giving you a point of view based on what I've experienced. You seem to hold your experience in pretty high esteem. I guess mine can be dismissed because it doesn't jive with your worldview. Sorry I believe what I've experienced personally more than what western journalism tells me I should believe. I felt like I could offer a relevant perspective because I attended a college that was made up of predominantly conservative professors AND a college made up of predominantly liberal professors. And it was MY experience that MOST professors just teach the course without pushing their own agendas.

I'm just giving you a point of view based on what I've experienced. You seem to hold your experience in pretty high esteem. I guess mine can be dismissed because it doesn't jive with your worldview. Sorry I believe what I've experienced personally more than what western journalism tells me I should believe. I felt like I could offer a relevant perspective because I attended a college that was made up of predominantly conservative professors AND a college made up of predominantly liberal professors. And it was MY experience that MOST professors just teach the course without pushing their own agendas.

It could also be that since your worldview was in line with the liberal professors (the majority of professors that you sat under) that is just didn't register with you that they were indeed pushing their agenda!!  That may stretch your thought process a bit and require some intellectual honesty to think through!!

It could also be that since your worldview was in line with the liberal professors (the majority of professors that you sat under) that is just didn't register with you that they were indeed pushing their agenda!! That may stretch your thought process a bit and require some intellectual honesty to think through!!

I honestly don't think so. I remember one particular professor that was very liberal, and maybe one or two more that pushed their beliefs, and about the same with the conservatives. For the most part they just taught the class (syllabus, read the book, turn in your homework, take the test, here's your grade)

Would you mind disclosing to me the name of the college made up of predominantly conservative professors?  If you dont care to put it on the forum, please PM me