Texans First-Round Draft Pick

Manziel? Bridgewater? Bortles? Clowney? Or maybe someone unexpected like Sammy Watkins or Derek Carr?

My personal thoughts are Bortles. He has the size at 6'5" and 235lbs to take shots in the NFL and the athleticism to run the ball when needed. He has a cannon for an arm and is the most accurate of the three top QB candidates. While a Clowney/JJ Watt pairing is tempting, I think Bortles has the potential to be a superstar in the NFL with the right coaching an talent around him.

So, who in this draft is hung up on a player enough to trade up for?

The JC rumors could be the best ploy for a trade up..............I just do not see anyone, now. It will change the closer we get to the draft.

Jacksonville and Cleveland both need a face to their franchise. One of them may pay to get a chance at Johnny. If Houston can get both of Cleveland's picks, the have to trade the #1 IMO.

Looks like Johnny came up a little "short" this morning.

MANZIEL – 5’11 ¾, 207 with 9 7/8 hands.

BRIDGEWATER – 6’2 1/8, 214 with 9 ¼ hands.

BORTLES – 6’5, 232 with 9 3/8 hands.

Seriously, maybe even more amazing than Manziel's athleticism is how on earth a kid with hands and feet that big only grew to be 5'11".   Someone should do a medical study on the kid.  There was some serious growth-stunting going on with him somewhere along the way.

That was until Clowney showed up. 

The Texans will not draft John John. If they keep the pick, it will be Bridgewater who is much more NFL ready.

From a tsip NFL agent on the combine:

It's been a bit stunning - many scouts and team personnel are in love with Manziel. Several high level guys have talked about him as a once in a lifetime type prospect. No buzz about anyone else - just Johnny. Most expect the Texans to draft him.

From a tsip NFL agent on the combine:

It's been a bit stunning - many scouts and team personnel are in love with Manziel. Several high level guys have talked about him as a once in a lifetime type prospect. No buzz about anyone else - just Johnny. Most expect the Texans to draft him.

To me, as crazy as this sounds, this is almost the "safe pick."  Similar to when they took Earl (not that I think Manziel will be a HoF'er), Manziel would be a "popular" pick.  And if you pass on him, and he ends up setting the league on fire, you will look awfully bad.  I still think trading down is the way to go, if they can, but if they keep, I won't be surprised if they take him.  I just hope whatever they do, it works out.  I am a lifelong Cowboy fan but I really, REALLY like Rick Smith.  I want him to have a long and successful career with the Texans.

Didnt Johnny run a 4.6 some thing official.  That kid from Kent St ran a 4.27 I think it was.

Not that what  I think matters but the reason I don't think J M will be a great QB. HE will be just like Cam and the other mobile Qbs that ran in college. Everyone picks them but then when they get them in the NFL they take their legs away from them. Johnny wouldn't be Johnny if he wasn't able to out run half the D-LINES he was playing against on sat. Well the NFL D-Lines are just as fast as him. Take Cam's 1st year. He did his thing with his legs and arm and he was pretty dang good. His second year they wouldn't let him run (coaches) and what kind of season did he have. Year 3 he used his legs a little more then year 2 and had a much better year. Wilson can run and they still allow him to use his legs and he is smart enough not to take the hits unlike RG3. Look where that got him. If Johnny has to live off his arm its not going to happen.

McShay's latest mock has Houston taking Bortles #1 overall. I wouldn't want any part of that if I was a Texan fan.

He fits O'Brien's prototype. Everything I have heard and read says he needs another year in college. He's not ready to be "the man".

I would not be shocked if the Texans keep Schaub and try to get a 2nd or 3rd round QB.

He fits O'Brien's prototype. Everything I have heard and read says he needs another year in college. He's not ready to be "the man".

I would not be shocked if the Texans keep Schaub and try to get a 2nd or 3rd round QB.

Houston worked out the kid from Eastern Illinois that is shooting up the draft boards. They should draft Clowney or the tackle from Auburn #1 and try to get a QB in the 2nd.