Texans First-Round Draft Pick

Houston worked out the kid from Eastern Illinois that is shooting up the draft boards. They should draft Clowney or the tackle from Auburn #1 and try to get a QB in the 2nd.

I agree on taking an OT. That o-line was pretty bad last year. It would do them no good to draft a high-profile QB and watch him get leveled every week.

Bridgewater's pro day workout was not very good according to scouts. Bortles works out on Wednesday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334589/article/mayock-teddy-bridgewaters-pro-day-workout-average-at-best

Bortles pro day is today. UCF has banned the media from attending. I guess they are trying to avoid what happened to Bridgewater on Monday.

I feel like a politician, I flip-flop on my opinion of who the Texans could take with that 1st pick. This morning, John McClain made an interesting point. He contends that O'Brien likes to coach QB's and has an opportunity to draft the pick of the litter. He's convienced the Texans will draft a QB, just not sure which one.

Unless Bortles has a showing similar to Bridgewater, I look for them to draft him. If he has a poor showing, they might take their chances with a late round QB and draft the best player 1st which is probably Clowney.

I am not sold on the Bortles kid at this time. I think Clowney is the safest pick but would still love it if they take Manziel.  

Manziel would make the loudest impact immediately for the Texans and if successful could put excitement back into the program for years to come.

But that being said the best pick is Clowney to strengthen the defensive front line.

Looks like they are trading Schaub to the Raiders for a late round pick. Houston signed Ryan Fitzpatrick to a 2 yr deal yesterday.

Not sure what that means, but I don't think Fitzpatrick is the answer long term. That may be good news for Bortles fans.

Schaub is a serviciable NFL QB. He was simply beat "between the ears" in Houston. A change of scenery will do him some good.

Fitzpatrick will probably be the starter until they groom thier draft pick.

The Texans sit at 8 projected wins for next year. At this point, I'll go with the "under".

I feel like a politician, I flip-flop on my opinion of who the Texans could take with that 1st pick. This morning, John McClain made an interesting point. He contends that O'Brien likes to coach QB's and has an opportunity to draft the pick of the litter. He's convienced the Texans will draft a QB, just not sure which one.

Unless Bortles has a showing similar to Bridgewater, I look for them to draft him. If he has a poor showing, they might take their chances with a late round QB and draft the best player 1st which is probably Clowney.

Like GCMPats said, I'm now flip-flopping on my opinion. The Texans still need a QB, but Fitz fills the need for the moment. With Antonio Smith gone, I'm kinda keen on Clowney; however, the Texans have SOOO many needs... I'm sure by the time the draft gets here in May, I will change my mind again. Meanwhile, Johnny Football had a great Pro day and is trying to stay out of Cleveland.

<p>

AJ Hoffman ‏@AJIsTheReal 8 mins
“@ProFootballZone: Report: Texans trying to trade the first pick, Bills may be interested http://wp.me/p1L24z-srU ” Well. That's interesting.

Bills trade rumors heating up

http://m.sportsworldreport.com/articles/28732/20140328/houston-texans-draft-rumors-buffalo-bills-trade-up-johnny-manziel-bill-obrien-pick-jadeveon-clowney-greg-robinson-target.htm

Clowney evidently did well today at his pro day. The word freak was used a lot and many top level GM's & scouts said they don't see how anyone could pass on him.

His skill set was really never in question. I just wonder once he gets "paid" what his motivation level will be.

He and Watt could cause severe headaches for a lot of offensive game planners.

In the Texans 3-4 defense JC will play the outside LB.  

For those who want Johnny Football or The House that Johnny built I sure hope he doesnt come to Houston. Get him as far out of Houston as we can. Dude thinks he is bigger then football the game its self.

You could be right and if he is drafted high and flops there is no doubt that whomever drafts him will have egg on their face.  

However, if you pass and he succeeds then you will also have egg on your face - possible lose lose situation.

Same could be said for all the big 3 - 4 but Manziel puts the Texans in a bad situation of he succeeds and their first pick does not simply because he is from their back yard.

Sounds more and more like Clowney #1 and a QB as the 1st pick in round 2. Some speculate that 2 of the top 3 QBs will fall to Rd 2. 

I agree.  Not to mention there are several potentially quality QBs that will be 3-5 rounders.  This is obviously a weak draft for QBs at the top of the board.  However, it is very deep at that position for the middle of the draft.  JMO.