Texans First-Round Draft Pick

I like Murray and Mettenburger. To me, there is a lot more value to either one of them as a 3rd rounder than any of the so called top 3 as a #1 pick. I would also say that if the Texans go QB with that pick, it has to be Manziel. The other two aren't worth the risk and don't have the upside. Then again, I'm not an NFL GM so what the hell do I know. I'm not even particularly good at FF.

Draft Clowney...Then, what happened to the deal with NE for Ryan Mallett?

Is he worth the 1st pick in round 2? If your pickng a potenial future QB there anyway, wouldn't it be worth it to get a guy in Mallett that you are extremely familiar with and is ready to start and produce day 1? He's also a Texas Guy!

Draft Clowney...Then, what happened to the deal with NE for Ryan Mallett?

Is he worth the 1st pick in round 2? If your pickng a potenial future QB there anyway, wouldn't it be worth it to get a guy in Mallett that you are extremely familiar with and is ready to start and produce day 1? He's also a Texas Guy!

NE may have more value on Mallet than just a 2nd Rd pick. I could see Brady retiring in 2 years and Mallett taking over.

Just read that NE wants a 3rd round pick for Mallett. He is a Restricted FA after this year so they figure getting a 3rd now is better than a potential compensatory pick after the 4th next year when he leaves via Free Agency. If so I would offer the 1st pick in the 4th and see if they bite.
I think NE is wanting to draft a guy like McCarron in the 3rd and start the team control on him until Bradys contract is up in 4 years. Mallet is not the heir apperent to Brady simply because he will not sit and wait another four years and rightfully so.

If they have the opportunity to land Mallet and Clowney, they had better jump on it ASAP! I feel 100% certain that there is NOT a QB in this years draft worth giving up a chance at both Mallet and Clowney!

BINGO
Mallett can begin to win games for a team with talent like Houston has week one. On top of this Houston could spend its top two or three picks on guys that should start day one and have immediate positive impacts. Get Clowney, best available top 2nd round (with emphasis on ILB, Safety, OL, TE). Then do same in third. You walk away with four immediate impact starters.

I disagree about Mallet. If the Texans could get him cheap enough, thats fine, but they just signed Fitzpatrick for two years. I wouldn't give up too much for Mallet.

We've seen what Fitzpatrick brings to the table and he'll make for a good backup. Mallet was highly regarded out of college, but dropped in the draft due to some off field issues and has sat behind one of the best. Ready to prove himself. I say a fourth or even third is worth it. I'd rather Mallet in the third than any of the possible so called first rounders this year.

What about the fact that it appears that Clowney will not participate in any individual pre-draft workouts - will that affect his draft stock?

Not likely.  The scouts/teams prefer the combine anyway.  Less "controlled" environment for the players and thus, a better gauge as to their abilities.

Greg Robinson is in town today meeting with the team. He may not be the sexy name, but may be the best player in the draft.

Greg Robinson is in town today meeting with the team. He may not be the sexy name, but may be the best player in the draft.

He meets a major need. That pick would shock a lot of people.

One scenario that makes sense is that Clowney's agent has already begun negotiations with Houston and his client could only hurt himself with continued workouts. If I'm Houston and I have made up my mind and Clowney is my guy, I sure as heck don't want him getting hurt participating in a useless workout for the Jaguars or Rams!