Local Players in College / Pro Action

Spring Synopsis: Pirates fell to Red Sox as Karstens has bad day

The game: No. 5 starter candidate Jeff Karstens walked three, gave up three hits, allowed four earned runs and elevated his pitches a tad more than manager John Russell prefers -- even though the damage mostly came from one bad inning -- as the Pirates fell to Boston, 11-4, before 8,090 at City of Palms Park. Boston's 11 hits and nine walks from Pirates pitchers did in the visitors. Boston's Chip Ambres West Brook added a two-run homer against Sean Burnett.

McNeese St. ends Isles streak at two

The Cowboys bolted to a 5-0 lead after two innings. Lee Orr drove in a pair of runs in the first with a double down the line in left off Brandon Orr and scored on a single by Nick Eubanks. In the second inning, the Cowboys added two more runs on an RBI double by Steven Irvine and a solo homerun by LCM Shon Landry.

Nederland's Ryan Brauninger belted the Cowboys third home run of the game as McNeese went ahead 14-3.

Lumberton's Clay Buchholz keeps rolling, Sox win 11-4

Clay Buchholz' head must be spinning from all the advice he's gotten this year.

He revealed last week that a talk with veteran pitcher John Smoltz has helped him to manage expectations and attack hitters with confidence.

read more >

This is the hidden content, please

Williams powers Jaguars

advertising

BY MIKE FORMAN - [email protected]

March 19, 2009 - 11:21 p.m.

University of Houston-Victoria baseball coach Terry Puhl had heard about Zane Williams' power and now he's seen it first hand.

Williams hit his ninth home run of the season, a towering grand slam, to highlight an eight-run seventh inning in the Jaguars' 12-2 win over Fisher College in a game stopped in the seventh because of the 10-run mercy rule on Thursday night at Riverside Stadium.

UHV improved to 17-10 and will return to Riverside Stadium on Friday at noon to play another single game against the team from Boston. The Falcons dropped to 4-9.

"That does not surprise me, I've seen him hit balls," Puhl said of Williams, who transferred to UHV from Southern Arkansas. "The ball he hit in Dallas (actually Fort Worth), I've never seen one ball hit so far in my life. This one right here was a pretty good poke too. That's a deep part of left-center, almost center field."

Williams hit his eighth double of the season in his first at-bat and drove a 2-1 pitch just to the left of the center-field fence.

"I was just thinking about my last at-bat," said Williams, who had flown out to left field. "Coach Puhl told me to have a good at-bat and to stop chasing curveballs so I knew just to sit back, get my foot down and trust my swing. I got a pitch to hit and I hit it well."

All eight Jaguars who came to the plate in the seventh inning reached base against starter Jarlin Gomez and two relievers. "They just started getting better pitches to swing at," Puhl said. "The first pitcher got into a pretty good rhythm around the fourth and fifth inning with his breaking ball and we went fishing on some pitches that I wasn't too happy about. Our team, they can hit, but they have to swing at pitches that are quality pitches to swing at."

UHV had six of its 10 hits in the inning, including a two-run triple by Josh Darnell, who hit a solo home run in the third inning, and Tony Rothman's team-leading 10th home run, a solo blast over the right-field fence to end the game.

"We've been seeing better pitching and we're starting to get used to it," Williams said. "This guy had some good stuff and we finally started getting used to him and stringing together some hits. We chased him and got to the bullpen and they weren't doing too good so we jumped on them too."

UHV pitcher Casey Newman (1-1) got into the win column by working six innings. Newman did not allow an earned run while striking out six, walking three and hitting a batter.

"He pitched through a lot of pitches tonight, he was up to 115 pitches," Puhl said. "He did a good job. (Pitching coach) Doug (Heinold) has been working with him about not rushing as much. Once he gets that part, when it sinks in for him, he's going to be a much better pitcher because of it."

No outs when game ended

Jarlin Olivera, Austin Brodie (6), Mark Dorso (6) and Edwin Pena. Casey Newman, Colter Zoch (6) and Josh Darnell. W: Newman (1-1). L: Olivera. Highlights: (FC) Mike Olivera 2-for-4. (UHV) Zane Williams 2-for-4, grand slam, 2B, 2 runs, 5 RBI; Josh Darnell 2-for-3 solo HR, 3B, 2 runs, 3 RBI; James Green 1-for-3, 3B, 2 runs, RBI; David Baker 1-for-1, run, RBI, SB; Tony Rothman solo HR; Jon McDonald 1-for-3, 2 runs, RBI. Records: Fisher College 4-9; UHV 17-10.

Williams is NAIA Player of the Week

Tue, March 24 - [baseball]

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Zane Williams of Houston-Victoria (Texas) has been selected as the NAIA Baseball Player of the Week while Craig Westcott of Belhaven (Miss.) was awarded the NAIA Baseball Pitcher of the Week, for the week of March 16-22.

Williams, a senior rightfielder from Devil's Pocket, Texas, batted .560 in six games last week and hit his second grand slam of the season for UH-Victoria. The highlight of his week came in the 12-2 win over Fisher (Mass.) when he went 2-for-4 with two runs scored, one double, one grand slam and five RBI. He also had a four-hit performance followed by a three-hit, three-RBI effort. For the week, he bashed out 14 hits, including six doubles, one triple and two homers, hit at a 1.120 slugging clip, scored 12 runs and compiled 20 RBI.

He ranks 11th in the country with 1.5 RBI per game. The Jaguars went 6-0 during the week and are 20-10 on the season

Recap: Tampa Bay vs. Cincinnati

By Sports Network

The Sports Network

Edinson Volquez hurled five innings of four-hit, one-run ball, and the Cincinnati Reds topped Tampa Bay, 5-1, in spring training action.

Joey Votto and Ryan Hanigan hit solo home runs, while West Brook's Jay Bruce drove in two runs for the Reds.

Jason Hammel took the hill for the Rays and tossed five scoreless frames, allowing just two hits and a walk with four strikeouts. But Jason Isringhausen was touched for two runs on three hits in the sixth on the way to the loss.

Evan Longoria collected the lone RBI in defeat on a sacrifice fly. Carl Crawford and Dioner Navarro both had two hits.

The Rebel bats didn’t strike often on Friday night, but when they did it was with power as Ole Miss (16-6, 5-2 SEC) used four home runs - including a pair from freshman Matt Snyder - to power past LSU by a score of 7-4 at Alex Box Stadium.

The Rebels added a sixth run in the seventh when West Brook's Tim Ferguson doubled off the wall to score Basham. The catcher singled before moving to second on a sac bunt from Henry and then scoring on the Ferguson hit to give Ole Miss a 6-1 edge.

03/27/09 5:44 PM ET

Bullpen roles remain up in the air

Friday's game vs. Orioles used to gauge prospects

Nederland's Brian Sanches threw two scoreless innings, striking out one while giving up one hit.

"I thought Sanches was real good. He filled the strike zone with all his pitches," Gonzalez said. "That was positive.

• 2 weeks later...

ZANE WILLIAMS & UHV JAGS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Mike Forman • Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Zane Williams knows his job on the University of Houston-Victoria baseball team is to produce runs and he has done more than his share.

Williams hit two home runs and a double, and drove in six runs to help the Jaguars sweep a doubleheader from Huston-Tillotson on Wednesday at Riverside Stadium.

UHV won the first game 14-2 and cruised to an 11-1 win in the second game while improving to 26-13. Both games were stopped early because of the 10-run mercy rule.

Williams hit a three-run home run in the first inning of the first game before adding an RBI double. He added a two-run shot in the second game to improve his team-leading totals to 13 home runs, 18 doubles and 60 RBI.

"I'm seeing the ball pretty well and swinging it really good," said Williams, who transferred to UHV from Southern Arkansas. "Coach (Terry) Puhl talked to me. I was rushing my swing. He just told me to sit back and work on the things I need to work on and it's starting to pay off."

Williams hit both of his home runs to the opposite field. His first was a line drive that cleared the top of the fence in left-center field and his second went over the scoreboard.

"Zane has really zeroed in in that fourth slot," Puhl said. "He got some real big hits for us and the long ball hits."

The Jaguars had 20 hits and scored in eight of the nine innings they batted. Puhl was just as pleased with starting pitchers Ray Maldonado and Bobby Gomez.

Maldonado surrendered two runs in four innings while improving to 9-0 and Gomez yielded one run in five innings to even his record at 4-4.

"I've been working on my velocity. It's been my problem since the beginning," said Gomez, who had nine strikeouts. "I didn't have confidence with that fastball, but today I felt a little bit better and I felt my velocity was coming back from my last outing so I just wanted to pound the zone."

The Jaguars swept four games from the Rams (13-33) by a combined total of 51-9.

Leo Garcia and Josh Darnell each hit two-run home runs in the first game and David Baker added a solo homer. Jon McDonald hit a solo home run in the second game.

UHV 14-11, Huston-Tillotson 2-1

Zack Potts and Jonathan Rodriguez. Ray Maldonado, Rex Garner (5) and Tank Peterson. W: Maldonado (9-0). L: Potts (1-2). Highlights: (HT) Ben Alaniz 3-for-3, 2B, run. (UHV) Zane Williams 2-for-3, 3-run HR, 2B, 2 runs, 4 RBI; Leo Garcia 2-for-3, 2-run HR, 2 RBI; David Baker 1-for-2 solo HR; Josh Darnell 1-for-3, 2-run HR, 4 RBI; Jon McDonald 2-for-3, run, RBI, SB; James Green 2 runs, 3 SB.

---

Two outs when game-ending run scored.

Austin Cook, Chad Simpson (4) and Jonathan Rodriguez. Bobby Gomez and Josh Darnell. W: Gomez (4-4). L: Cook (0-1). Highlights: (HT) Pat Sherek 3-for-3, RBI. (UHV) Zane Williams 1-for-1, 2-run HR, 3 runs, 2 RBI; Jon McDonald 1-for-3 solo HR, 2 runs, RBI; Darnell 2-for-3, RBI; James Green 2-for-4, 2 runs, RBI, SB, John West 2-for-2, 3B, 2 runs, RBI. Records: Huston-Tillotson 13-33; UHV 26-13.