Best Gym

Guest ECBucFan

I saw our Bucs play in a tourney there last year, during the daytime. Plenty bright then, but it may very well be dark later. It looked (at that time) well maintained and clean. JMHO

Guest bleed orange

Evadale's gym is very nice but they wasted tax payers money. Their gym was almost as much as all the improvements we made at Orangefield. The stadium seats are awesome but they are permanent. Only one squad can practice in there at one time. Evadale did not need a gym that big. They will never fill half the seats. Its something to be proud of, no doubt but a waste of money. We built a gym thats pretty nice and did not cost near as much as theirs did and is more modern with more advanced technology. You cannot beat their gym as far as a playoff atmophere. Evadale should have put some of that money in the classroom. We do not have the tax base that evadale has but we spent our money a little wiser. Thats a credit to our administration.

Guest ECBucFan

Not trying to disagree, but I believe Evadales gym is a huge source of pride for the community. The gym certainly brings in tourneys, and playoff games, and ticket sales (not to mention the TV cameras) . Seems to be sort of a focal point for the school/town, so, I would say money well spent.   

Guest bleed orange

Football games bring in money, not basketball atleast not at the high school level. Your are right they should be proud, I would if I lived there. But what does a 1A school need with a gym that big? You probably think I am jealous, I'm not. With the money they spent on that gym they could have built a gym, fieldhouse for football and probably a new school. But hey as long as they are happy with it thats all that matters.

Guest bleed orange

ECbucfan, To be honest with you its time for the good citizens of winnie to come togther and pass a bond issue to upgrade your facilities. It took us 3 times but we finally did it. The only reason I say that is, I graduated in 1980 from Orangefield( and yes I played against Billy Ray Thomas , Bart Mcdonald and Brett but he was one year older than me) and everything still looks the same in winnie, texas. (nothing wrong with that)The people of Orangefield are hardheaded but if we can pass one so can ya'll. Go far it!!!!!!!!!!

Guest ECBucFan

RE: Evadale, your valid points, all. But I believe the key is your last sentence.

RE: Winnie/EC Just to give you an opinion (and its JUST an opinion), I believe three things are at work.

1) The gym is very historic. You generally don't see that massive Oak Wood construction around. Gym is called "The Plank". It really is an incredible example of craftsmanship. Lots of people coundn't bear to see it removed. The gym bleachers, I agree, should be on the "replace" list, though...

2) As good as the Bucs are in Basketball, Football is the #1 athletic passion here. Some stadium improvements are already in place, and some are in the works.

3) EC operates in a very responsible way with finances. Thats a definite fact. Acedemics come first, and sports second. For all its athletic sucesses, EC excells acedemically. Example: UIL meets, Channel 6 Challenge, etc.

Enjoyed the conversation. You make good points, O.

Guest bleed orange

Points well taken, our communities think a like. Our old gym was hard to let go and still is. We will always cherish it. A lot of memories. The bulk of our bond issue was spent on new class rooms. So us like ya'll think of education first. In no way do I think the good people of evadale put athletics first. I just think that was alot of money for a gym. I wish we could afford something that nice. So I guess you can say I am a little jealous. Football is still #1 here also. But believe or not basketball is on the upswing.

Guest ECBucFan

I have made a lot of trips to OF, both as a player years ago for another school(against the Pevetos and Co.), and lately as an EC Fan. Yall have a good school/program/community. Always enjoy the visits. I hope EC/OF keeps up the football games. Nice talking to you.  :) 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont