Parents gone wild video

I posted earlier on the WOS/ BC game and saw somethings I have never seen in the game of baseball. I was corrected and realized I have lost touch with time. Today I went and watched my nephew at ford park, his team is from Houston. This was a 11 year old select team. They won against a team from Vidor 6-2 but after the game accusations were made from one team to another that one team was stealing the others pitch signals. It got heated and words where exchanged. Times have changed my friends say what you want but parents are out of control and it is not just the 11 year old select team.

The biggest problem is parents having bent and distorted view of their child's capabilities and some how think that they have some crystal ball that has shown them the future...No one knows, not really. Hard work, dedication and then more hard work is the only way next level is gonna happen and many many things have line up in the right order and at the right time to be successful and even then it's by the Grace of God that you even get an opportunity. I have watched the game for years and seen kids go from worrying about when pool time was gonna be to the pressure of scouts looking on...support you kids and let them make their own memories that you share in but dont try to sculpt them for your kids and then dictate that they live them! Instead of parents gone wild maybe name Parents living vicariously thru their kids...not everybody is like this but you guys know the type...

This is outrageous!!!!! Unbelievable how parents are these days. The whole part of the game is finding a way to win and giving yourself an edge. Stealing signs is very similar to scouting a game and writing a list of things the other team does to give yourself a better chance of winning. Stealing signs has been part of the game for a very long time! When I was playing college ball our coaches taught us ways to figure out signs and we would have guys every game assigned to just  breaking signs and trends to give our hitters an advantage. Its not cheating it is part of the game! You see it all the time the guy on second signalling to the hitter what pitch is coming in some form or fashion. Get over it parents! I agree with GCMPats2.....[b]get better at giving signs and this will not be an issue![/b]

[quote name="hook em' 09" post="1392384" timestamp="1365430051"]
This is outrageous!!!!! Unbelievable how parents are these days. The whole part of the game is finding a way to win and giving yourself an edge. Stealing signs is very similar to scouting a game and writing a list of things the other team does to give yourself a better chance of winning. Stealing signs has been part of the game for a very long time! When I was playing college ball our coaches taught us ways to figure out signs and we would have guys every game assigned to just  breaking signs and trends to give our hitters an advantage. Its not cheating it is part of the game! You see it all the time the guy on second signalling to the hitter what pitch is coming in some form or fashion. Get over it parents! I agree with GCMPats2.....[b]get better at giving signs and this will not be an issue![/b]
[/quote]

Stealing the signes is not the issue, the behavior after the game was.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1392395" timestamp="1365433140"]
[quote author=hook em' 09 link=topic=110901.msg1392384#msg1392384 date=1365430051]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I understand that, but what they were upset about was the stealing of the signs. If they were good at what they did, there would have been no reason to get angry.

Guest BigCountry66
I don't remember if we were taught by an adult or if we figured it out for ourselves, but as a youth and also in high school baseball, players always tried to steal signs to give their batters an edge (basically fastball vs off speed was all we were interested in knowing).  So, no problem at all with stealing signs.  It is part of the game.  Teach the kids how to do it and then sit back and see if they are smart enough to figure it out.  They will have a blast and will feel a real sense of accomplishment if they start getting it right.

However, I would have a problem with parents in the stands or coaches in dugout stealing signs and communicating that info to kids in a youth contest.  But with the parents I see at these events these days, nothing would surprise.  It is mental instability in it's purest form.  There is less and less concern for instruction and more and more concern for the almighty 'W'.  Sad really.

[quote name="GCMPats2" post="1392401" timestamp="1365434354"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=110901.msg1392395#msg1392395 date=1365433140]
[quote author=hook em' 09 link=topic=110901.msg1392384#msg1392384 date=1365430051]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I understand that, but what they were upset about was the stealing of the signs. If they were good at what they did, there would have been no reason to get angry.
[/quote]

Why get angry if it is part of the game.  By the way the women in the stands started the whole thing on both sides. The coaches were not involved. LOL!!!!!! Women, can't take them anywhere.  ;D ;D ;D Just kidding.

[quote name="BigCountry66" post="1392404" timestamp="1365435373"]
I don't remember if we were taught by an adult or if we figured it out for ourselves, but as a youth and also in high school baseball, players always tried to steal signs to give their batters an edge (basically fastball vs off speed was all we were interested in knowing).  So, no problem at all with stealing signs.  It is part of the game.  Teach the kids how to do it and then sit back and see if they are smart enough to figure it out.  They will have a blast and will feel a real sense of accomplishment if they start getting it right.

However, I would have a problem with parents in the stands or coaches in dugout stealing signs and communicating that info to kids in a youth contest.  But with the parents I see at these events these days, nothing would surprise.  It is mental instability in it's purest form.  There is less and less concern for instruction and more and more concern for the almighty 'W'.  Sad really.
[/quote]

It's part of the game unless the hitter is sitting there looking between the catchers legs and that is frowned upon. In that case a message will be sent if game situation allows it. Had it happen this weekend.

Last year coaching PONY ball an opposing coach accused me of stealing signs and took offense. What was happening was one of our players was noticing the pitcher was tipping pitches. As I told the coach of the other team, if a 15 year old boy is stealing your signs you need to change signs. Teach the kids two sets of signs, come on coach, not that hard a thing to do. I DID tell the coach that his pitcher was tipping and he needed to correct it. I have no problems with fans doing it as well as long as they aren't in centerfield with binoculars. It is up to the pitcher, catcher, and coach to correct the problem.

When your signals are 1-fastball 2-change and 3-slider who needs to steal them. You are blatenly given them to the other them. I have seen many select teams do this. Besides what team on the face of this earth has never stolen signals. If someone says they have never done it they or either lying or the Opie Cunningham's of baseball. It's part of the sport.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1392395" timestamp="1365433140"]
[/quote]

[/quote]Agree..surely althought you didn't mentin but it was the team that lost whinning about it

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder