New basketball calendar & rules for the 2020-21 season

New basketball rules from the UIL as they slipped the info in as they announced the fall sport calendar.

• No tournaments of any kind, including showcases
  • Teams can have two scrimmages, with no more than four teams can meet at one place for a scrimmage. Sites that are used to have more than four are not allowed.
  • There is no more regional tournament, the regional semifinals and regional final will go on as a normal playoff round

So AAU tournaments going on right now this summer in Texas that have 5-20 times the total number of teams of any tournaments that would happen during the high school basketball season is a reality, but 3 to 5 months from now it won't be possible to have something like the Orangefield Tournament? My head hurts, I need someone with that expanded knowledge base like "One Chance" to break it down for me.

32 minutes ago, Mean Machine said:

So AAU tournaments going on right now this summer in Texas that have 5-20 times the total number of teams of any tournaments that would happen during the high school basketball season is a reality, but 3 to 5 months from now it won't be possible to have something like the Orangefield Tournament? My head hurts, I need someone with that expanded knowledge base like "One Chance" to break it down for me.

AAU does not follow UIL guidelines, of course. Some are self-governed by their organizers and coaches. 

For UIL, there won't be any tournaments for anyone in the state. TAPPS is the only organization at the moment that can host and have teams participate. 

Scrimmages can also have no more than four teams at the same venue

(example: Team A, B, C & D have scrimmages at Lamar University. Team E wants in but can't participate because of this restriction.)

I hop that answered your question.

Naw Nick, I understand all the machinations involved with why things aren't going to happen, my comment was more of a rhetorical (salty) based opinion regarding the overall conditions of current times.

Have appreciated your coverage, hope you actually get to go to a gym this season. 

That's it for me, got to get back to hermetically sealed bunker.