**#2 HARDIN-JEFFERSON vs. #3 SILSBEE @ Ford Park/SILSBEE WINS 81-76!!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1364454" timestamp="1358449106"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=108282.msg1364449#msg1364449 date=1358448589]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=108282.msg1364441#msg1364441 date=1358447712]
That is not bias, that is fact based on the personnel of each team. Central still has the same team they started the season with, Silsbee does not. Is Central playing better basketball than they were early in the season? YES!! But Silsbee was basically fielding a JV team those first 3 weeks of the season and now have their full compliment of a varsity team (4 varsity players before, 14 now). Three of Silsbee's top 5 scorers (1. Elam, 2. Holmes, 4. Reed) were still playing football and 4 of the first 5 off the bench(Jackson, Barnes, Brydson, Scott) were still in football those first 3 weeks. Personnel wise, Silsbee is no where near the team they were those first 3 weeks than what they are now. You cannot make that claim with Central.

Silsbee has grown much more as a team than Central. That is a fact, not opinion.
[/quote] Remember, Central started the season with 2 players that have never played a high school game in their lives.  These two players started vs Silsbee...[b]an EXPERIENCED Silsbee team that had players on the court that was on last year's deep playoff run team.[/b]
[/quote]

Two players for Silsbee (Wilson and Dobbins) was all that played against Central that was on Silsbee's deep playoff team last year. TWO!! Every other player were JV or freshmen players the year before. (besides Thomas who left Silsbee last year in December to go back to PA Memorial).
[/quote]...and I'm willing to bet they were impact players that night and the rest of the games those football players were absent in...

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1364471" timestamp="1358450971"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=108282.msg1364467#msg1364467 date=1358450468]
Silsbee beat all BMT schools!
[/quote]...and[b] Silsbee lost to Baytown Lee[/b] (a team with 5 wins for the season) and to our district mates, Nederland twice(Central beat them)... ;)
[/quote]

Those losses by Silsbee really makes that Central loss to Silsbee JV really look even worse. ;)

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1364457" timestamp="1358449326"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=108282.msg1364350#msg1364350 date=1358434841]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108282.msg1364345#msg1364345 date=1358433648]
Last year speaks volumes.  Mr Sutherland has an EXTREMELY distinguished coaching resume at several different schools and until one has similar credentials, one looks a little foolish suggesting they know better methods than he does.
[/quote]Nash, you know Freeze1914 is correct.  Nash, repeat after me several times, "HJ's program is not perfect."  :D
[/quote]

Ok Dove- as per your instructions " HJ's program is not perfect"  Now please reciprocate by repeating after me;  " If a team is competitive and successful on a yearly basis, you cant "talk" that success away"  And I am still one who believes Mr. Sutherland has more high school coaching knowledge/experience than Freeze and Da Dove combined.
[/quote]

Nobody said nothing about his coaching experience. All we said was Silsbee was better prepared for a game like this because they played better competition early on while HJ is so use to blowing teams out their sense of urgency is not where it should have been. Then in the 4th quarter they realized it was time to play. That has nothing to do with coaching experience or knowledge.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1364474" timestamp="1358451326"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=108282.msg1364471#msg1364471 date=1358450971]
[/quote]...and[b] Silsbee lost to Baytown Lee[/b] (a team with 5 wins for the season) and to our district mates, Nederland twice(Central beat them)... ;)
[/quote]

Those losses by Silsbee really makes that Central loss to Silsbee JV really look even worse. ;)
[/quote]  >:( ;)

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1364480" timestamp="1358452107"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=108282.msg1364474#msg1364474 date=1358451326]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=108282.msg1364471#msg1364471 date=1358450971]
[/quote]

[/quote]  >:( ;)
[/quote]

I will say this,  I haven't seen Central but if you put this Tiger team on the floor and they play like they did the first half against HJ for the whole game then I have to feel that they beat Central or anybody else in our immediate area.  That is the way I would like to see them play against Yates no matter how the outcome ended.It would be a real fun game to watch.

Yes Silsbee lost to Lee! We all know Silsbee's football playets practiced one time before that game. Central lost to Silsbee's JV. Kountze beat Silsbee JV. Nederland beat Silsbee. HJ blew out Nederland. Who really has the best team in the area? If Silsbee haf a full team all year, their record could be 23-3 . I think tney would have lost one in thr YMBL, 1 in the Bulldog classic, and one to somebody else.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1364457" timestamp="1358449326"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=108282.msg1364350#msg1364350 date=1358434841]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108282.msg1364345#msg1364345 date=1358433648]
Last year speaks volumes.  Mr Sutherland has an EXTREMELY distinguished coaching resume at several different schools and until one has similar credentials, one looks a little foolish suggesting they know better methods than he does.
[/quote]Nash, you know Freeze1914 is correct.  Nash, repeat after me several times, "HJ's program is not perfect."  :D
[/quote]

Ok Dove- as per your instructions " HJ's program is not perfect"  Now please reciprocate by repeating after me;  " If a team is competitive and successful on a yearly basis, you cant "talk" that success away"  And I am still one who believes Mr. Sutherland has more high school coaching knowledge/experience than Freeze and Da Dove combined.
[/quote]  Yes, and because of your weak schedule, you are successful ::)

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1364483" timestamp="1358452298"]
Disagree. When u belittle the schedule u r effectively belittling the approach to the game(s) of the coach.  He quite simply knows more about what schedule best suits his team than u do
[/quote]Nothing to be ashamed of Nash, major D-1's do it all the time. A win is a win.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1364492" timestamp="1358453391"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108282.msg1364483#msg1364483 date=1358452298]
Disagree. When u belittle the schedule u r effectively belittling the approach to the game(s) of the coach.  He quite simply knows more about what schedule best suits his team than u do
[/quote]Nothing to be ashamed of Nash, major D-1's do it all the time. A win is a win.
[/quote]

I dont associate shame with 6 consecutive regional appearances, two appearances in Austin and a state title since 2007.  Looks to me like his methods are pretty effective.  Using the playoffs as a measuring stick of success implies that the schedule is acceptable and opponents in the playoffs, as you well know, are not chosen.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1364483" timestamp="1358452298"]
[/quote]

Ok Nash your right. HJ has the perfect solution. All I know is that Silsbee was ready to play some basketball from the beginning of the game while HJ was playing like they never saw competition like Silsbee this season. A little star struck even. Better luck next time.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1364493" timestamp="1358453797"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=108282.msg1364492#msg1364492 date=1358453391]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108282.msg1364483#msg1364483 date=1358452298]
[/quote]

I dont associate shame with 6 consecutive regional appearances, two appearances in Austin and a state title since 2007.  Looks to me like his methods are pretty effective.  Using the playoffs as a measuring stick of success implies that the schedule is acceptable and opponents in the playoffs, as you well know, are not chosen.
[/quote]

Here we go with past stats. We are talking about now not past years

[quote name="freeze 1914" post="1364513" timestamp="1358456631"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108282.msg1364493#msg1364493 date=1358453797]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=108282.msg1364492#msg1364492 date=1358453391]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No we are talking about the approach to the game of a specific team/coach and the part you are criticizing is virtually identical to what it has been for the last 6 years.  So, yes, past results DO MATTER .  We could have had this identical conversation last year or the year before or the year before that and all would be the same.  If you have a kid shooting 40% from behind the three point line but find his technique to be what you consider abnormal, are you going to change his shot because past results dont matter?  Rest 100% assured that when the 49ers and Falcons line up this weekend as well as the Patriots and Ravens NOTHING (nada-zilch) will be executed that isnt based upon some success of same in the past

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1364517" timestamp="1358457006"]
[quote author=freeze 1914 link=topic=108282.msg1364513#msg1364513 date=1358456631]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108282.msg1364493#msg1364493 date=1358453797]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No we are talking about the approach to the game of a specific team/coach and the part you are criticizing is virtually identical to what it has been for the last 6 years.  So, yes, past results DO MATTER .  We could have had this identical conversation last year or the year before or the year before that and all would be the same.  If you have a kid shooting 40% from behind the three point line but find his technique to be what you consider abnormal, are you going to change his shot because past results dont matter?  Rest 100% assured that when the 49ers and Falcons line up this weekend as well as the Patriots and Ravens NOTHING (nada-zilch) will be executed that isnt based upon some success of same in the past
[/quote]

Okay Nash your right Nash. It's just funny how both of the more physical teams in the district has beaten HJ. I see Silsbee winning round 2. But hey it don't matter HJ will win 30 games this year. Typical fan

[quote name="freeze 1914" post="1364622" timestamp="1358482161"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=108282.msg1364517#msg1364517 date=1358457006]
[quote author=freeze 1914 link=topic=108282.msg1364513#msg1364513 date=1358456631]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Okay Nash your right Nash. It's just funny how both of the more physical teams in the district has beaten HJ. I see Silsbee winning round 2. But hey it don't matter HJ will win 30 games this year. Typical fan
[/quote]

Since you are predicting a Silsbee victory in round two, I assume you also project WOS to win the second round as well because both teams are more athletic and HJ cant play with athletic teams, right?  Most all teams lose some games and yet you would have us believe that HJ losing some is because of their scheduling "deficiency".  The goal of the season ( rather than pleasing you with their scheduling) is to take the personnel that one has as as far in the playoffs as possible.  In recent times, nobody has done a better job of that.  You just happen to be one of those who resent the fact that a very small school from a one horse town can be a contender year in and year out and you are trying your best to discredit it.  The record is there and you simply can do nothing about that because at playoff time all of the scheduling excuses and workout excuses (plus whatever Dove can come up with next) disappear.  If there were a way to handicap high school basketball and make adjustments for student enrollment, the school would look even better.  If I am a typical fan I guess that makes you a typical hater.

I'm not hating at all, I'm just speaking how I feel. Silsbee will win round 2 because we have seen that HJ cant play with more athletic teams. I didnt say WOS because I have not seen them play this season. And Silsbee is more prepared for tight game situations because majority of HJ's 20+ wins have been blowouts and not close wins. So from this season,( not a past season), if the Silsbee game happens to be close throughout the contest, I'm going with the more physical and deeper team, whih happens to be Silsbee.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1364644" timestamp="1358517893"]
Freeze you seem to know so much about the game.  What are you doing know since you left MSU?
[/quote]

You want me to go thru my recent history so you can say I'm bashing the coaching fraternity when Im only speaking my mind about the game of basketball??  ;D ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• The locals have almost finished firing the first ever Speaker of the House from Southeast Texas upon direct order of Trump and his minions.   It's a sad day... Locals have decided that being represented by the most powerful man in the House didn't mean anything.... they'd rather a political novice to represent this part of SETX.  And why is that?  He wasn't MAGA enough for them.  Who cares that it will hurt locally... What Trump says, goes.     Just yesterday I saw Trump on television demanding that we fire Phelan... How he's a RINO, weak on the border, etc... why?  Because he wouldn't overlook the criminal actions done by Ken Paxton, one of Trump's key supporters in the effort to overturn the 2020 Election and allow Trump to remain in office despite the will of the voters.   Trump never even mentioned Covey's name, and I doubt he would recognize Covey if Covey walked up with a cup of coffee.  Who cares that it's bad for SETX?  Not the R voters from SETX!   Then I saw Covey's preacher on a different ad tell a bald face lie.  Why should Phelan be fired?  "He put Democrats in positions of power in the House."  Really?  That's been the position of BOTH parties for as long as anybody can remember.  They ALWAYS give the minority party committee chairmanships.  But in 2022 the Rs decided that the practice should stop.  Democrat voters should not be allowed a voice in the crafting of legislation if there is a single majority Republican seat in the House, according to the Rs.  Representative Government?  Never heard of it, huh? Never did I believe that we'd have an abortion ban, constitutional carry, huge cuts for school property taxes, and Texas law enforcement being greenlit to enforce immigration law.  But it all happened while Phelan was speaker.  Without a doubt, the most conservative Speaker, ever.  But still a dirty RINO for not being MAGA enough.  It would be funny if it weren't true.   I've been following politics long enough to remember when Rs couldn't get elected in Texas... I'm confident that we're headed back that direction.  I mean, it's obvious that with population shifts we'll be turning blue eventually.  I think that the behavior of the leadership of the Republican Party is going to cause that shift sooner than expected.  I won't be surprised to see Democrat Senators and possibly even a governor elected within 12 years.  Maybe less.  The Rs will be a party apparatus without a voting base behind them.
    • Yellowjacket faithful are still pouring into Hudson HS’s Gipson Field!!!!  
    • This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up
    • The game will be live streamed for those that have Game Changer under the Chester team thread.  I believe the radio station out of Palestine will have radio broadcast.
    • For those John Candy lovers (my attitude right now): This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up
  • Topics