What's wrong with the jags?

Honestly I wasn't impressed last night at all. I saw a good game plan to box and 1 #3 which they did last year and lost but worked this year because HJ don't have Prudhomme. How many teams will the box work on this year. Offensively they have major weapons. Still didn't see no kind of offense. It was whoever wanted to shoot could. Run and gun can't work on everybody

[quote name="freeze 1914" post="1340679" timestamp="1353781080"]
Honestly I wasn't impressed last night at all. I saw a good game plan to box and 1 #3 which they did last year and lost but worked this year because HJ don't have Prudhomme. How many teams will the box work on this year. Offensively they have major weapons. Still didn't see no kind of offense. It was whoever wanted to shoot could. Run and gun can't work on everybody
[/quote] It's funny that you're the only one that wasn't impressed.  Even the H-J faithful was impressed.  What Central did was impressive and not only did it work, it appeared to be a brilliant move.  Let's not forget that not only did we bear H-J, but destroyed them.  Did you actually watch the game to make such an asinine comment?

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1340706" timestamp="1353782621"]
[quote author=freeze 1914 link=topic=106616.msg1340679#msg1340679 date=1353781080]
Honestly I wasn't impressed last night at all. I saw a good game plan to box and 1 #3 which they did last year and lost but worked this year because HJ don't have Prudhomme. How many teams will the box work on this year. Offensively they have major weapons. Still didn't see no kind of offense. It was whoever wanted to shoot could. Run and gun can't wourk on everybody
[/quote] It's funny that you're the only one that wasn't impressed.  Even the H-J faithful was impressed.  What Central did was impressive and not only did it work, it appeared to be a brilliant move.  Let's not forget that not only did we bear H-J, but destroyed them.  Did you actually watch the game to make such an asinine comment?

[/quote]

Yes I was there. I never said it wasn't a great move. I wasn't impressed because a box and 1 works on a HJ team with 2 scorers who rely heavily on the 3 ball. Who else will they beat with that. You up 20 and you still fast breaking the ball. Can we say sportsmanship or is it because they don't have a offense to settle into. No doubt that they looked good but impressive no. When you have a team beat and you and the other team know it, shouldn't you slow the ball down and work on your offense and different techniques you need for down the road. The only thing impressed me was the fast break dunks. That's it.

[quote name="ST413" post="1340779" timestamp="1353786924"]
If I am up 20 and the team I am beating is still pressing me giving me fast break layups, you are darn right I am going to keep taking them. Its up to the losing team to chnge that strategy.
[/quote]

It's call respecting the sport man. Of course they go press because they trying to get back into the game. It's on the coach to say break the press and get us into our offense. So I guess its all about winning one game and not be game prepared to win another one. If you up 20 and you know you have the win, why not work on something different and to shoot a shot at the buzzer to end the game when you up 20+ is just disrespectful. It was a good showing until the 4th quarter

[quote name="ST413" post="1340805" timestamp="1353787728"]
bitter bitter bitter
[/quote]

Not at all. I'm a Central alum and former basketball player there. It's about down the road when the run and gun not working or you can't box and 1 somebody else. I expected to see something different after going up by 20

[quote name="freeze 1914" post="1340816" timestamp="1353788109"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=106616.msg1340805#msg1340805 date=1353787728]
bitter bitter bitter
[/quote]

Not at all. I'm a Central alum and former basketball player there. It's about down the road when the run and gun not working or you can't box and 1 somebody else. I expected to see something different after going up by 20
[/quote]

Here is  something for you to consider.  Is it possible, just slightly possible, that those who coach for a living are better suited to make those "strategic" decisions than you are?

This is the youngest team we've ever had.  Our starting linup consisted of 1 fish, 3 sophomores, and a junior that's fresh off the football field.  If  can't manage to keep a game in hand when you have the superior coach and when your best player is a senior, maybe you need to question your staff or the upperclassmen on Your team.  Last year, no one said anything  when Prudhome ate us for lunch.  Sound like sour grapes to  me.  That's alright.  H-J won't have to face Central again..

I said the same thing last year when HJ did it. I'm saying you have the younger team. Why not when you get that big of a lead to slow it down and get your youngsters custom to running a offense so they can get use to it. And how could me being a Central alum have sour grapes. It's not always about just winning,but about how you win. Because it will come back to bite them. You won't beat everybody with run again. 1-2 right now. Prime example

I see freeze's point. I had a couple of calls from some ex-Central players. Central controlled the boards thereby getting some good fast breaks in during the whole game. Their (other )OFFENSE consisted of getting 
(1)offensive  rebounds and (2)getting the ball inside to their bigs. Whatcha gonna do when you meet a team who matches up with your bigs. Your "new wings" didn't score from the outside, they scored inside as usual.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1340943" timestamp="1353791770"]
I see freeze's point. I had a couple of calls from some ex-Central players. Central controlled the boards thereby getting some good fast breaks in during the whole game. Their (other )OFFENSE consisted of getting 
(1)offensive  rebounds and (2)getting the ball inside to their bigs. Whatcha gonna do when you meet a team who matches up with your bigs. Your "new wings" didn't score from the outside, they scored inside as usual.
[/quote]

Thank you Dove. You won't be able to run and gun everybody. What do you do when they slow you down

The "basketball market" will quickly recognize this and Central will have several opportunities to contend with a slow down type game.  Same goes for Hj in another respect.  Now the word will be out that "all you  have to do" is put someone on Johnson and thats all there is to it.  I am fairly confident that Central will make adjustments to a slower type game (by virtue of some pre district opponents trying that) just as HJ will adjust to situations where Johnson becomes closely guarded.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1340971" timestamp="1353792555"]
The "basketball market" will quickly recognize this and Central will have several opportunities to contend with a slow down type game.  Same goes for Hj in another respect.  Now the word will be out that "all you  have to do" is put someone on Johnson and thats all there is to it.  I am fairly confident that Central will make adjustments to a slower type game (by virtue of some pre district opponents trying that) just as HJ will adjust to situations where Johnson becomes closely guarded.
[/quote]

That was my point. I was not trying to disrespect HJ in anyway, but why not when you have a team by 20+ points, slow down the ball yourself and work on your offense for when you have to play a team that will slow you down. Instead of running up the score and taking fast break lay UPS. I doubt HJ will run into another team like Central until they see Silsbee

Silsbees size is no where near Centrals so what Silsbee brings against HJ is very different.  I had not seen Central until last night.  But there was lots of complaining on this board about how poorly they had played in arriving at a 1-2 record.  Perhaps the coach decided that what his team needed more than anything at THIS MOMENT was a very solid and convincing win regardless of the methods used to achieve it.  If I am right, I would say mission accomplished.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1340996" timestamp="1353793382"]
Silsbees size is no where near Centrals so what Silsbee brings against HJ is very different.  I had not seen Central until last night.  But there was lots of complaining on this board about how poorly they had played in arriving at a 1-2 record.  Perhaps the coach decided that what his team needed more than anything at THIS MOMENT was a very solid and convincing win regardless of the methods used to achieve it.  If I am right, I would say mission accomplished.
[/quote]

If he was looking for the Moment win your right.

[quote name="freeze 1914" post="1341008" timestamp="1353793650"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=106616.msg1340996#msg1340996 date=1353793382]
[/quote]

If he was looking for the Moment win your right.
[/quote]

I am thinking that if he is the head coach, he has the right to make that decision.  The season is a very long process and I can remember an HJ team that after starting 1-2 including a loss to Central, wound up in Austin.  So apparently, there was adequate time after that loss to make all necessary adjustments.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01