this thread is not for the stay in the SLC with SHSU fans.

I am bored until kick off time.
Soooooooooo, long shot scenario time again.

Many on other boards believe if AFA goes Big East, MWC would need a baseball/football school replacement. The school mentioned at the top of the list is Texas st. I can't think of anyone else.
Texas st would be a very lonely island in need of a travel partner  ;) ;) ;)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="UNLV" post="1239183" timestamp="1343095645"]
Duuuuh, I am 1 of 3 wanting Lamar to go FBS. The rest won't respond to heresy.
[/quote]

That is not exactly correct.  I think all here want LU to go FBS.  You're just 1 of 3 that doesn't care if Lamar is ready to compete at that level when they make that move.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1239277" timestamp="1343136406"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=101078.msg1239183#msg1239183 date=1343095645]
[/quote]

That is not exactly correct.  I think all here want LU to go FBS.  You're just 1 of 3 that doesn't care if Lamar is ready to compete at that level when they make that move.
[/quote]Because that logic makes no sense in the real world. Many schools like WKU and ULM were kicking butt in FCS/IAA, then moved to FBS to endure losing for years. Lamar is already losing, might as well build in FBS than to start winning in FCS only to lose again in FBS.

Back on topic, how about a poll on Lamar to FBS.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1239291" timestamp="1343137937"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=101078.msg1239277#msg1239277 date=1343136406]
[/quote]

[/quote]Because that logic makes no sense in the real world. Many schools like WKU and ULM were kicking butt in FCS/IAA, then moved to FBS to endure losing for years. Lamar is already losing, might as well build in FBS than to start winning in FCS only to lose again in FBS.

[/quote]

So what your saying is that my assessment of you is dead on.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1239292" timestamp="1343138551"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=101078.msg1239291#msg1239291 date=1343137937]
[/quote]

[/quote]

So what your saying is that my assessment of you is dead on.
[/quote]I do want Lamar to move NOW.

I am not alone, there seem to be so steam building for Lamar to join the MWC.
Well, not so much love for just Lamar. MWC is really attracted to Texas st potential and would add Lamar as a "descent" travel partner. They say Lamar basketball and 10,000 seat area is attractive.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1240689" timestamp="1343667014"]
there seem to be so steam building for Lamar to join the MWC[/quote]

I assume you mean there appears to be "some" steam building for Lamar to join the MWC.  I haven't heard anything of this, so please--provide your evidence that there is a push to get Lamar in the MWC. 

Paste a link to a message board, newspaper, or anything.  If you reply without providing direct evidence (via links) or that I'm not a "forward thinker" or that my logic is why LU football died, it'll verify that you are just creating rumors to support your agenda. 

[quote name="SabineRavine" post="1241184" timestamp="1343841555"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=101078.msg1240689#msg1240689 date=1343667014]
there seem to be so steam building for Lamar to join the MWC[/quote]

I assume you mean there appears to be "some" steam building for Lamar to join the MWC.  I haven't heard anything of this, so please--provide your evidence that there is a push to get Lamar in the MWC. 

Paste a link to a message board, newspaper, or anything.  If you reply without providing direct evidence (via links) or that I'm not a "forward thinker" or that my logic is why LU football died, it'll verify that you are just creating rumors to support your agenda.
[/quote]

Probably from here: http://www.mwcboard.com/www/forums/index.php?showtopic=41510&st=75

Here is the logic. BE needs 1 more football school, highly preferred a western team. AFA was the target, but they gave a weak maybe not to joining the BE. Many think AFA will go in the end.
That would leave the MWC with 9 schools but only 5 baseball schools. MWC would need to add a baseball/football school or lose baseball. UTEP, UTSA, Tulsa, NT, Rice, and Texas st are the mention school. However none of the CUSA teams will pay 7-9 million to leave CUSA to play in the MWC. That leaves Texas st. MWC already told NMSU and Idaho no, although I still think NMSU is in play. Idaho doesn't play baseball.

Texas st will need a travel partner or be an expensive island. The only 2 possible travel partners is NMSU and Lamar.

However just taking Texas st and Lamar, for example, leaves the MWC with 11 football and 7 baseball. I think the MWC should take Texas st, Lamar, and NMSU.

Cons- 3 weak footballs

Pros - 3 good baseball, 2 good basketball, Championship game, 3 schools near large markets, MWC in Texas.

[quote name="wbfan" post="1241279" timestamp="1343856160"]
Lamar will go to FBS when they're ready. It's hard enough for people to go to games as is, what do you think will happen when 50,60,70 maybe even 80-0 blowouts occur on a weekly basis?
[/quote]MWC, not the Big 12. MWC power schools are gone. There are 2-3 schools that might beat Lamar 52-17, however the remaining schools like my UNLV is more like a SBC middle of the pack school. Lamar would be competitive in the MWC football in a short time. MBB, would bring to Beaumont as many as 3 top 25 teams, like UNLV, so Pat will have a big job.

If by some miracle Lamar was asked to join the MWC, they'd better make sure a good TV deal was in place because travel costs will skyrocket.  But let's say LU, Texas State and NMSU join when the Air Force Academy leaves, this would be the lineup in 2015 or 2016 for football:

[b]West[/b]
Hawaii
SJSU
Fresno State
UNLV
Nevada
Utah State

[b]East[/b]
Wyoming
Colorado State
New Mexico
New Mexico State
Texas State
Lamar

That's one bus trip to Texas State every other year, they'd be flying to the rest.  La Tech was able to do that in the WAC but it would be tough on the athletes.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1241372" timestamp="1343868029"]
If by some miracle Lamar was asked to join the MWC, they'd better make sure a good TV deal was in place because travel costs will skyrocket.  But let's say LU, Texas State and NMSU join when the Air Force Academy leaves, this would be the lineup in 2015 or 2016 for football:

[b]West[/b]
Hawaii
SJSU
Fresno State
UNLV
Nevada
Utah State

[b]East[/b]
Wyoming
Colorado State
New Mexico
New Mexico State
Texas State
Lamar

That's one bus trip to Texas State every other year, they'd be flying to the rest.  La Tech was able to do that in the WAC but it would be tough on the athletes.
[/quote]

Unless Lamar gets an enrollment up in the 20,000's or the school gets some mega donors, I can't see how Lamar could afford to join that conference without some lucrative TV deal.

There was a cool article on the MWC and how they were planning to do tv., I wish I'd post it here but I didn't anyone cared. However as it stands now, Lamar would get 700k a year if joined today.

Using cola's divisions, travel would be very doable if the MWC played a format like the SLC did by only playing 1 game away or home across divisions in Olympics sports.

Another method Lamar could use to cut cost in travel, play more bus games before conference.

Everyone keep in mind, IAH and HOU is our airport now.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1242071" timestamp="1344089223"]
AFA might not go. Hawaii might go football only.

West
Wyoming/Utah st
SJSU/Nevada
Fresno State/UNLV

East
Colorado State/Air Force
New Mexico/New Mexico st
Texas State/Lamar

Perfect travel alignment.
[/quote]

Hawaii is already in for football only.  Wyoming, Colo State and Air Force are grouped together so losing Air Force would not mess up travel partners.  Utah State and Hawaii wouldn't have natural travel partners, but for Hawaii it wouldn't matter as they subsidize travel.

I still say it's a million to 1 Lamar would get invited, but if the MWC gets some Texas schools, that would probably trickle down to the Sun Belt.  Would the Sun Belt abandon football in Texas or go after Lamar if there's an opening in a few years?  I just don't see Lamar being stuck in the SLC for much longer.

1,000,000 to 1 today, But if the BE gets a nice tv deal, AFA will go to the BE. The MWC will be short 1 baseball school to be NCAA legal.

MWC options
1. Stay at 9 and add associated baseball member.
2. Invite an all sport school that plays baseball.
No CUSA would pay 7 million to go to the MWC.
The only SBC teams that might consider is ASU or ULL....Both can't afford it.
That leaves NMSU and Texas st. Idaho don't play baseball.
MWC is considering Texas st. However Texas st would be a island with closes MWC team in Albuquerque. NMSU, Texas st, Lamar makes the most sense.

Very interesting odds for Lamar should a MWC baseball school leaves the MWC.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1239291" timestamp="1343137937"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

So that is your rationale: We are already losing so let's go to a bigger conference and lose more and consider it progress.  Are you trying to kill the football program?  Attendance is tenuous at best now.  If you start taking 40 and 50 point pastings from FBS schools week in and week out it will be the death of the program.  Never mind the fact that the stadium isn't big enough to support FBS requirements. 

[quote name="Mr. Happy" post="1242827" timestamp="1344430618"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

So that is your rationale: We are already losing so let's go to a bigger conference and lose more and consider it progress.  Are you trying to kill the football program?  Attendance is tenuous at best now.  If you start taking 40 and 50 point pastings from FBS schools week in and week out it will be the death of the program.  Never mind the fact that the stadium isn't big enough to support FBS requirements.
[/quote]Using your rationale, Lamar should drop to DIII. This way Lamar will be pasting DIII schools by 40 and 50 points and we will have the biggest stadium in DIII.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1243128" timestamp="1344478751"]
[quote author=Mr. Happy link=topic=101078.msg1242827#msg1242827 date=1344430618]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Using your rationale, Lamar should drop to DIII. This way Lamar will be pasting DIII schools by 40 and 50 points and we will have the biggest stadium in DIII.
[/quote]

That makes more sense than moving up to a division that you can't possibly compete in right now. Get the petition started for that and I will sign it. 

[quote name="Mr. Happy" post="1243205" timestamp="1344516072"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=101078.msg1243128#msg1243128 date=1344478751]
[quote author=Mr. Happy link=topic=101078.msg1242827#msg1242827 date=1344430618]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That makes more sense than moving up to a division that you can't possibly compete in right now. Get the petition started for that and I will sign it.
[/quote]Lamar is already in the top division so there is no moving up a division. Dr Simmons is retiring and may be replaced with someone who also thinks the SLC or DII is all Lamar is worth. No petition needed, you may get your way.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder