The 21 schools that was on the SBC expansion list...Lamar was not on it

'Many options'

On April 1, Benson emailed a powerpoint presentation to Sun Belt presidents/chancellors and athletic directors, laying out the league’s various realignment options.

One slide listed 21 schools to be considered as “possible additions/replacements” – including Idaho, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Texas State, Utah State, UT-San Antonio, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Jacksonville State, James Madison, Liberty, Charlotte, Old Dominion, Belmont, College of Charleston, Florida Gulf Coast, North Florida, St. Louis and Texas-Arlington.

“That was just to demonstrate that the Sun Belt had many options,” Benson said. “We needed to think out of the box, but it was just an exercise in showing that the Sun Belt is in a good spot.”

http://www.dnj.com/article/20120708/BLUERAIDERS01/307080044/SBC-commissioner-Benson-explored-membership-options-league?nclick_check=1

I think this says it all. Lamar is not looking to move up. I'll end it here because what I have to say about Lamar is not nice.
The article also shows Benson as a moron. Who the heck did he think a CUSA school would move to the SBC.

There was no mention of SHSU or SFA, but included the other 3 slc schools because they have actively pursued a move to FBS conferences.  Still think that a failure by LU to move up could have a negative impact on the non football sports in that the big boys will try to eliminate the smaller guys from getting a piece of the pie (money from the March Madness tournament).

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1234546" timestamp="1341798993"]
There was no mention of SHSU or SFA, but included the other 3 slc schools because they have actively pursued a move to FBS conferences.  Still think that a failure by LU to move up could have a negative impact on the non football sports in that the big boys will try to eliminate the smaller guys from getting a piece of the pie (money from the March Madness tournament).
[/quote]They will make the SLC and similar conferences auto-play-in games.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1234558" timestamp="1341800029"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=100874.msg1234546#msg1234546 date=1341798993]
[/quote]

I beg to differ.  I think they will eliminate the lower tier conferences (those that play FCS football) from being in the NCAA Basketball tournament.  No play in games or anything else that would give a red cent to "smaller" school conferences.  Can no longer be in the "fraternity"!!!

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1234576" timestamp="1341802673"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=100874.msg1234558#msg1234558 date=1341800029]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=100874.msg1234546#msg1234546 date=1341798993]
[/quote]

I beg to differ.  I think they will eliminate the lower tier conferences (those that play FCS football) from being in the NCAA Basketball tournament.  No play in games or anything else that would give a red cent to "smaller" school conferences.  Can no longer be in the "fraternity"!!!
[/quote]WOW, that is extreme. The big name conferences would have to leave the NCAA to do such.

It might be extreme, but I share NOTB's concern.  Seems like the bar is moved every time the "lower" programs move up.  It happened to us shortly after moving up to DI.  The division split into D-IA and D-IAA.  Wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a complete split.

We're already in a subdivision of DI that is perceived as DII by many.  What would prevent the actual split?  All the "big" programs would need to do is say that they are going to withdraw from the NCAA and start their own athletic association.  With all the money involved, they have a pretty good stick to make people pay attention to threats.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1234638" timestamp="1341844058"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=100874.msg1234576#msg1234576 date=1341802673]
[/quote]

[/quote]WOW, that is extreme. The big name conferences would have to leave the NCAA to do such.
[/quote]

Not necessarily.  They will tier it like the football.  The NCAA already has tiers.  They will present this as the smaller schools/conferences "water down" the tournament.  I assume you understand how rich poeple operate. One of their codes is to work to keep their "club" restricted from the lower classes. If you don't have money, you can't get in the game (no matter what color.  Money separates more often and more exlusively than color or ethnicity).  The UT's, ND's, Alabama's, Ohio State's et al... are no different from the Rockafella's or Bill Gates and Warrren Buffet.  They operate just the same.  With money comes power.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1234727" timestamp="1341861988"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=100874.msg1234638#msg1234638 date=1341844058]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=100874.msg1234576#msg1234576 date=1341802673]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not necessarily.  They will tier it like the football.  The NCAA already has tiers.  They will present this as the smaller schools/conferences "water down" the tournament.  I assume you understand how rich poeple operate. One of their codes is to work to keep their "club" restricted from the lower classes. If you don't have money, you can't get in the game (no matter what color.  Money separates more often and more exlusively than color or ethnicity).  The UT's, ND's, Alabama's, Ohio State's et al... are no different from the Rockafella's or Bill Gates and Warrren Buffet.  They operate just the same.  With money comes power.
[/quote]
As much as I want to disagree with your post... I can't. Money is what separates the winning schools from the others, be it in football, basketball, academics or anything else. Money doesn't guarantee success, but the successful programs all have money...I guess that is one reason I pull for the underdogs, Cinderella teams and Lamar!

[quote name="shovel" post="1234731" timestamp="1341862921"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=100874.msg1234727#msg1234727 date=1341861988]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=100874.msg1234638#msg1234638 date=1341844058]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
As much as I want to disagree with your post... I can't. Money is what separates the winning schools from the others, be it in football, basketball, academics or anything else. Money doesn't guarantee success, but the successful programs all have money...I guess that is one reason I pull for the underdogs, Cinderella teams and Lamar!
[/quote]

The cinderalla's of the future in the NCAA Basketball tournament will be the 7th place team coming out of a major conference or maybe a Sun Belt team or lower FBS football conference school.  There will be no FCS football conference basketball teams in the tournament in the future.  How long it takes for this to happen I don't know.  There is too much money generated by the tournament for the big guys to not try to limit who gets to share it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder