Orangefield board votes to keep football coach

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right.  Skills should be taught at a young age.  You know that there are many situations where this is not done.  Skills are still taught at the junior high and high school age at every sport.  This cannot be done after school because the coach cannot instruct the kids except during the season.  How do the athletes get better skills in the offseason, except during the period.  They also need to lift, but skill improvement is a must in order to compete with the more athletic teams.  I guess we will just trust that the kids will do it on their own.

[quote name="catfever" post="1203398" timestamp="1332990719"]
You are right.  Skills should be taught at a young age.  You know that there are many situations where this is not done.  Skills are still taught at the junior high and high school age at every sport.  This cannot be done after school because the coach cannot instruct the kids except during the season.  How do the athletes get better skills in the offseason, except during the period.  They also need to lift, but skill improvement is a must in order to compete with the more athletic teams.  I guess we will just trust that the kids will do it on their own.
[/quote]

You are right Catfever the kids should do it on their own. It is called " Motivation". One of the life lessons my friend. I agree with you it is not always taught at a young age. I think the skills is up to the kid not the coach. How much work are they willing to put in inorder to obtain the skill? No coach can teach that.

OF hasn't done great in basketball the last couple of years because other teams were just more athletic. The fact that they did what they did this year amazes me. They were tougher the wos and hf. They have no business beating some of the teams that they have beat in football (or even hanging close in so many games) or doing what they did in basketball. Coach Huck has taught them to be tough and I think they are the toughest in the district. I don't know why everyone is against UOS...it seems to work all the way around. I will say this too...I think Coach Huckabay should have been the coach of the year the past two years in 21-3A. He has done an amazing job with what he has compared to WOS, Silsbee, and BC...and OF wanted to get him out...what a shame.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1203305" timestamp="1332982592"]
Bobcat05 will tell you that every kid on that team had their role and that is why they won. Plain and simple.
[/quote]

That's correct, but I will say the 7 of us seniors did not play football so there was no use in us doing the football workouts and Coach Toon got us to do basketball drills - box jumps, lundges, sprints, run....run....run...run somemore...then he had us do HIS workouts in the weight room on the days the football players weren't in there. 

So a team, that by your own admission, had not won at any level, accomplished something that hadn't been done in decades and they were allowed to work on basketball during the athletic period and still lifted weights.  So it isn't impossible.  I would think that baseball could also do this and the fieldhouse walls would not come crumbling down.  Hmmmmm.

Sounds to me, looking in from the outside, that school board member, Mr, Angelle might be the problem with all of what is going on in this situation. I think that he is the one who wanted the S.I. gone and also the A.D. Is that correct?
Maybe he has a private agenda?
If that is true, then why?

I don't think it is appropriate to call out a person on a message board and this is why. Reguardless of what we think a school board members job is thinkless. What I mean by this is they don't get paided. They are up there on their own free will. Do I agree with their thought process sometime? No I do not but until you have been there and done that it is hard to sit back and judge. Now I am talking about any organization. Be it youth football, basketball, baseball or whatever. Yes I have blasted the "Board" but never did I mention a name. Names should be left out. Just my opinion like anyone cares. LOL!!!!!!!

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1204379" timestamp="1333149273"]
I don't think it is appropriate to call out a person on a message board and this is why. [b]Reguardless of what we think a school board members job is thinkless. What I mean by this is they don't get paided[/b]. They are up there on their own free will. Do I agree with their thought process sometime? No I do not but until you have been there and done that it is hard to sit back and judge. Now I am talking about any organization. Be it youth football, basketball, baseball or whatever. Yes I have blasted the "Board" but never did I mention a name. Names should be left out. Just my opinion like anyone cares. LOL!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Let's be real...most of the parents on school boards these days are only concerned about their individual childs best interest. There are some good school board members, but as a whole...it's all part of the game.

From ridin solo's previous post:  "Would also like to say glad the board denied the greivance against Coach Jost"..".............  It's amazing u agree with the board on their decision when u don't know the details of the grevience or maybe u do and u are ok with what happened. 

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1204379" timestamp="1333149273"]
I don't think it is appropriate to call out a person on a message board and this is why. Reguardless of what we think a school board members job is thinkless. What I mean by this is they don't get paided. They are up there on their own free will. Do I agree with their thought process sometime? No I do not but until you have been there and done that it is hard to sit back and judge. Now I am talking about any organization. Be it youth football, basketball, baseball or whatever. Yes I have blasted the "Board" but never did I mention a name. Names should be left out. Just my opinion like anyone cares. LOL!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Normally, you and I are in lock step, Solo.  But on this one, I must respectfully disagree on this one.  This is because the person is an [i]elected[/i] official.  And in the capacity of an school board official, he was elected to oversee the best interests of the Orangefield ISD.  While I don't know of the facts, at the very least there is the implication, if not outright allegation, that the actions of the particular board member were not made to further the best interest of the district. Rather, that the actions, including requiring the Tuesday vote, were prompted by some sense of a desire for revenge.  That is an abuse of his elected position.  Thus, I really don't have a problem when such potential abuse has been committed for the alleged abuser being pointed out so that those that do vote can be moved to research for themselves what happened.

[quote name="straycat" post="1204390" timestamp="1333150502"]
From ridin solo's previous post:  "Would also like to say glad the board denied the greivance against Coach Jost"..".............  It's amazing u agree with the board on their decision when u don't know the details of the grevience or maybe u do and u are ok with what happened.
[/quote]

Yes Stray, I am Ok with it. I know you think well my daughter did not have to deal with that and I agree. But I would have backed the coaches decison no matter what right or wrong. That is just me man.

Well that's where we disagree solo, because I believe in right and wrong and whether ur a kid or an adult u should be held accountable for your actions.  U don't get a free pass to say or do whatever u want because ur a coach.  Are YOU not held accountable for what u say and do on ur job or can u say and do whatever u want?

That's it I'm done talking about this on the message board. That's just me.

[quote name="straycat" post="1204606" timestamp="1333165089"]
Never said anything about life threatening.  Do you know whatbwas said?

In response to your comment about most kids not being held accountable,  apparently neither are adults. 
[/quote]

Yes, I was told by a friend and you are right I am done talking about this on a message board because we will never agree and that is OK.

The only reason that A name was mentioned is because it has been in every local newspaper and on all local tv news stations. I did not throw out a name just by guessing one. So your grip should be with those media people. Why is it so hard for people these days to make a public statement and then stand by it and take ownership of that statement. I get so sick and tired of "annominous sources". Be an adult and if you have something to say, back it up.

Believe me I have said plenty, I don't hide behind my screen name. Everyone knows who I am. I have put my name on here many times (Keith Little) Now I might be miss reading your post but I am guessing it is directed at me and that is OK. My point was the person in question should not be called out on a message board because even though I disagree with him completely. He is still a person. It is easy to make comments on a message board. I have taken ownership for everything I have said. Like I said everyone knows me. 

OH Mr. Little, you know I love you and we go back a long way.  I also know that a lot of what you say, or don't say is to stir things up.  Here are a few questions I have for you;
1. How should an AD be judged? 
2. Wins and losses?
3. Number of kids in the program?
4. Overall morale and unity of the school?
Secondly, who told you or anyone else for that matter it was the kids that received discipline last year?  Sure they were the school board's kids, but, to my knowledge, Mr. McAlpin, the principal, administered the discipline, NOT Huck.  Funny, I haven't heard one negative word concerning McAlpin.  Those kids confessed, they were not caught.  They could have lied about it, but they didn't.  They then faced their discipline, and went on.  In short, the issues going on have zero to do with the discipline those boys faced, but rather a difference of opinion in certain facets of the athletic program. For anyone to say different is irresponsible.  Secondly, the boys we are talking about are just that.... boys.  Not sure which kids aren't susceptible to making mistakes.
Here is the other deal, when the board suggested months ago they would like to see a class for basketball kids, etc. It was a recommendation to the Supt.  Why there is this huge panic with everyone running around screaming about the school board is a mystery to me.  I know every one of them personally.  I do not agree with each of them on every issue, but I will say this, they are all in it for the benefit of kids. Period.