Nederland vs. Dayton

Lazeek

I love what is happening with the Nederland Basketball program. We are starting to build a good basketball program and starting to play some solid basketball. We are competing and beating some very good teams. I also love how it sturs up and irritates some of those people who are associated with the teams that WERE used to beating Nederland all the time. But in saying that, I think we are still a bit overmatched when it comes to the top tier programs in the state.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="RR8" post="1183556" timestamp="1330002070"]
I love what is happening with the Nederland Basketball program. We are starting to build a good basketball program and starting to play some solid basketball. We are competing and beating some very good teams. I also love how it sturs up and irritates some of those people who are associated with the teams that WERE used to beating Nederland all the time. But in saying that, I think we are still a bit overmatched when it comes to the top tier programs in the state.
[/quote]You know, there is something about watching your team during the warmups and wonder if they can come close to matching up against those beasts on the other side of the court.... and then watch them find a way to win the game, once again!!!

It's what has made HJ basketball so much fun in recent years... watching David once again take down Goliath; especially when Goliath thinks that his "stuff don't stink" (Sorry, Nash, no reference to you!) ;D

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="1183557" timestamp="1330002292"]
[quote author=RR8 link=topic=96239.msg1183556#msg1183556 date=1330002070]
[/quote]You know, there is something about watching your team during the warmups and wonder if they can come close to matching up against those beasts on the other side of the court.... and then watch them find a way to win the game, once again!!!

It's what has made HJ basketball so much fun in recent years... watching David once again take down Goliath; especially when Goliath thinks that his "stuff don't stink" (Sorry, Nash, no reference to you!) ;D
[/quote]

::)

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1183551" timestamp="1329999117"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=96239.msg1183533#msg1183533 date=1329977637]
I would LOVE to meet this guy in person!! Not able to head over there for certain reasons but its all good ;)

I have figured DickieV out.. He just the kind of poster who wants to take the other side on everything to get responses from people and make this board more active.. Kudos to you sir because you have accomplished that and more.. But your statements about Nederland are not just taking the
other side, they are based completely on the fact you dont like the change in district 20-4A..

Whether he wants to agree with it or not, he still remembers the days when Ozen ran this area and used to beat people before the game was even played! All those scared people are gone and other teams have confidence and swagger.. The Nederland faithful are enjoying the ride.. Why dont you Dickie? Its better than hating on a programs success every chance you see fit.. Smile! this team you are hating on is representing
your area in basketball proudly!
[/quote]I wasn't talking about you personally, but the Big Ned fans that have been going back and forth with DV as a whole.  The man showed up to talk sports in your back yard and with all the back and forth that was going on, I just know that the bulldogs would show up to the show.  dogs1218, I know your situation, so I know you couldn't make it.
[/quote]
I've met him.  :-X

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1183560" timestamp="1330003114"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=96239.msg1183551#msg1183551 date=1329999117]
I would LOVE to meet this guy in person!! Not able to head over there for certain reasons but its all good ;)

I have figured DickieV out.. He just the kind of poster who wants to take the other side on everything to get responses from people and make this board more active.. Kudos to you sir because you have accomplished that and more.. But your statements about Nederland are not just taking the
other side, they are based completely on the fact you dont like the change in district 20-4A..

Whether he wants to agree with it or not, he still remembers the days when Ozen ran this area and used to beat people before the game was even played! All those scared people are gone and other teams have confidence and swagger.. The Nederland faithful are enjoying the ride.. Why dont you Dickie? Its better than hating on a programs success every chance you see fit.. Smile! this team you are hating on is representing
[/quote]I wasn't talking about you personally, but the Big Ned fans that have been going back and forth with DV as a whole.  The man showed up to talk sports in your back yard and with all the back and forth that was going on, I just know that the bulldogs would show up to the show.  dogs1218, I know your situation, so I know you couldn't make it.
[/quote]
[/quote]
And where were we? The NEDERLAND coaches office! I was talking to Coach E, talking strategy and ENCOURAGING him before his first district win over Central! But I hate Nederland? Not at all....I just understand the game... ;)...and most that do not, don't understand ME.... 8)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1183564" timestamp="1330003843"]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=96239.msg1183560#msg1183560 date=1330003114]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=96239.msg1183551#msg1183551 date=1329999117]

[/quote]
[/quote]
And where were we? The NEDERLAND coaches office! I was talking to Coach E, talking strategy and ENCOURAGING him before his first district win over Central! But I hate Nederland? Not at all....I just understand the game... ;)...and most that do not, don't understand ME.... 8)
[/quote]
No. I met u in the hallway before we lost at Ozen. It was brief. I didn't know it was u until later.

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1183496" timestamp="1329969394"]
This forum is not as enjoyable as it was in the days before Dickie V. Not because you have an opinion, we all do. We also enjoy some lighthearted criticism of one another's team. Your criticism is not lighthearted or constructive. It is simply intended to stir the pot and demoralize. We all enjoy reading positive things about our team, but at the same time fully understand our team's weaknesses and shortcomings. It becomes increasingly annoying to have the negative criticism on every single thread. We may not have your basketball background, and may not have enjoyed the ride you did on Boutte's coattails, but we also have some basketball knowledge. This is a "fans forum", not a coaches forum.

Let me ask this. How many of us would become monetary contributors to Setxsports if Dickie V would mysteriously disappear? I would!  ;D
[/quote]
Not gonna happen...I have an opinion like anyone else, except mine may be coming from an entirely different place...A place from which MOST on here just don't get..Its NOT criticism, its analysis from watching them play AND KNOWING THE GAME.  Its a difference...As far as riding coattails go, you have said that several times, and I have responded to that ignorance...not going to address it again...say what you want. As long as I continue to follow forum rules, I will be here, so accept that....When I am coaching again, I will no longer post on here... ;)

[quote author=baddog link=topic=96239.msg1183573#msg1183573 date=1330004810]
I only look forward to meeting people I respect or admire. To taunt people and then ask to meet them is to bestow celebrity upon oneself. I simply don't see it.

Talk sports? He only talks DV.
[/quote]

Correction...you may not LIKE me, (which is dumb, since you don't KNOW me) but you WILL respect me...Or stay out of my presence, and disrespect me privately and behind a screen name....I am done with that one, sir, and you have a good day...

Ok, look guys. We may not agree with DV about many things, and he does have an opinion like everyone. He does like to push buttons frequently, but that does not give us the right to attack him personally.

As someone mentioned, we KNOW our team's strengths and weaknesses, and DV is nice enough to point out the obvious. I know he respects Coach E and what he has done. Coming from Nederland, we are family, and we stick up for each other. As I've said before, maybe DV doesn't understand that coming from the big city. Doesn't make him wrong or evil, just different.

He has tried to defend himself many, many, many, many times. He has told us over and over his intentions are not the way we read them. I am actually starting to somewhat believe him. ;) Maybe he just expresses himself and his opinions differently than all of us??
Anyway, let's get back to topic. Dayton earned everyone's respect Tuesday night, but the better team prevailed. Go Dawgs!

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1183577" timestamp="1330005050"]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=96239.msg1183496#msg1183496 date=1329969394]
This forum is not as enjoyable as it was in the days before Dickie V. Not because you have an opinion, we all do. We also enjoy some lighthearted criticism of one another's team. Your criticism is not lighthearted or constructive. It is simply intended to stir the pot and demoralize. We all enjoy reading positive things about our team, but at the same time fully understand our team's weaknesses and shortcomings. It becomes increasingly annoying to have the negative criticism on every single thread. We may not have your basketball background, and may not have enjoyed the ride you did on Boutte's coattails, but we also have some basketball knowledge. This is a "fans forum", not a coaches forum.

Let me ask this. How many of us would become monetary contributors to Setxsports if Dickie V would mysteriously disappear? I would!  ;D
[/quote]
Not gonna happen...I have an opinion like anyone else, except mine may be coming from an entirely different place...A place from which MOST on here just don't get..Its NOT criticism, its analysis from watching them play AND KNOWING THE GAME.  Its a difference...As far as riding coattails go, you have said that several times, and I have responded to that ignorance...not going to address it again...say what you want. As long as I continue to follow forum rules, I will be here, so accept that....When I am coaching again, I will no longer post on here... ;)

[quote author=baddog link=topic=96239.msg1183573#msg1183573 date=1330004810]
I only look forward to meeting people I respect or admire. To taunt people and then ask to meet them is to bestow celebrity upon oneself. I simply don't see it.

Talk sports? He only talks DV.
[/quote]

Correction...you may not LIKE me, (which is dumb, since you don't KNOW me) but you WILL respect me...Or stay out of my presence, and disrespect me privately and behind a screen name....I am done with that one, sir, and you have a good day...
[/quote]

Who said anything about liking you? I just don't respect or admire you, and respect is not commanded or demanded as you would have it. Are we threatening now? Guess you are not the only one who canpush buttons. Now who is the irate one?

Have a blessed day......and the Ozen thread has one post.

What I have learned is that fans just want to hear the good news about their teams. Every team or player has weaknesses. We read or hear about it starting in college so maybe high school is still off limits. Playoff time is the beginning of a whole new season. What teams beat who last month makes no difference now. I mean c'mon, Nederland almost lost to a team that won't be able to spell p-l-a-y-o-f-f for the next 3 years in a watered down UIL playoff system. ;)

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="1183640" timestamp="1330010308"]
I think that's part of what defines champions - winning games that you should lose.  And the other part of being a champion is realizing that you can't make a habit out of winning games that you should lose.  Nederland needs to be prepared to play all 4 quarters Friday night.
[/quote]

Finally, something I can agree with.

Teams don't always come with their "A" game, but if they can dig deep down and pull it out, then that shows a competitiveness that is hard to beat.

Have a blessed day......[b]and the Ozen thread has one post.[/b][/quote]

And this has something to do with this thread, how? If EVERYBODY'S opinions were the same then there'd be no need for this forum or any other for that matter. How boring would this site be if everybody came on here saying how great Nederland is, Ozen is, Central is and etc? Dickie V has his ways I've seen from this forum but heck he doesn't sugarcoat it for Ozen or Central, he's given his opinion of the good and and the bad of all teams....some things I agree with and some I don't. I can't sit here and argue or attack someone personally because of his opinions. Agree to disagree respectfully and move forward. I always say I don't have a dog in this fight but it's comical how bent out of shape some people can get because their opinions are different. I can honestly say that I am not a fan of any school but I support my son and he'll be an Ozen Panther til graduation so that makes me a Panther and trust me with the direction of the basketball program over the years I am in countdown mode. I commend Nederland and some of their fans. I have much respect for Coach English but some of his fans and my personal encounters with them have made it hard for me to support the Bulldogs and that's a shame but at the same time why would such a fan base need my approval or support....Good luck to our 20-4A teams still in the battle!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1183629" timestamp="1330009150"]
What I have learned is that fans just want to hear the good news about their teams. Every team or player has weaknesses. We read or hear about it starting in college so maybe high school is still off limits. Playoff time is the beginning of a whole new season. What teams beat who last month makes no difference now. I mean c'mon, Nederland almost lost to a team that won't be able to spell p-l-a-y-o-f-f for the next 3 years in a watered down UIL playoff system. ;)
[/quote]

But you just said that history doesn't matter.  You are saying that what you did last week matters but last month does not.

[quote name="uandme08" post="1183658" timestamp="1330011623"]

And this has something to do with this thread, how? If EVERYBODY'S opinions were the same then there'd be no need for this forum or any other for that matter. How boring would this site be if everybody came on here saying how great Nederland is, Ozen is, Central is and etc? Dickie V has his ways I've seen from this forum but heck he doesn't sugarcoat it for Ozen or Central, he's given his opinion of the good and and the bad of all teams....some things I agree with and some I don't. I can't sit here and argue or attack someone personally because of his opinions. Agree to disagree respectfully and move forward. I always say I don't have a dog in this fight but it's comical how bent out of shape some people can get because their opinions are different. I can honestly say that I am not a fan of any school but I support my son and he'll be an Ozen Panther til graduation so that makes me a Panther and trust me with the direction of the basketball program over the years I am in countdown mode. I commend Nederland and some of their fans. I have much respect for Coach English but some of his fans and my personal encounters with them have made it hard for me to support the Bulldogs and that's a shame but at the same time why would such a fan base need my approval or support....Good luck to our 20-4A teams still in the battle!
[/quote]

[b]I don't want to pat everyone on the back and say how great we are. That's how DV and others perceive it. There is a huge difference in having a difference in opinion and discussing it, and dissing a team even chance you get. The Ozen comment is for DV because it wash his old team, back when he was a coach, and he doesn't even have a comment on them. Curious....

I am anything but angry. I am just pushing buttons to see how it feels and I am getting the same rise.....even getting threatened. It's all in good fun huh DV? Let's see, here's where I enter my smiley face..... ;D[/b]

[quote name="BellBiz30" post="1183677" timestamp="1330012390"]
Dayton obviously was a better team than some people gave them credit for...on that note great job Dayton for giving 20-4a district champs a fight, and great job Nederland for the big W!
[/quote]

Well said and, in my opinion, very accurate.  I watched Dayton play 4 games in early December and they are considerably better now than they were then.

[quote name="uandme08" post="1183658" timestamp="1330011623"]

And this has something to do with this thread, how? If [b]EVERYBODY'S opinions were the same then there'd be no need for this forum or any other for that matter. How boring would this site be if everybody came on here saying how great Nederland is, Ozen is, Central is and etc? Dickie V has his ways I've seen from this forum but heck he doesn't sugarcoat it for Ozen or Central, he's given his opinion of the good and and the bad of all teams[/b]....some things I agree with and some I don't. I can't sit here and argue or attack someone personally because of his opinions. Agree to disagree respectfully and move forward. I always say I don't have a dog in this fight but it's comical how bent out of shape some people can get because their opinions are different. I can honestly say that I am not a fan of any school but I support my son and he'll be an Ozen Panther til graduation so that makes me a Panther and trust me with the direction of the basketball program over the years I am in countdown mode. I commend Nederland and some of their fans. I have much respect for Coach English but some of his fans and my personal encounters with them have made it hard for me to support the Bulldogs and that's a shame but at the same time why would such a fan base need my approval or support....Good luck to our 20-4A teams still in the battle!
[/quote]Preach!

[quote name="stevenash" post="1183696" timestamp="1330013408"]
[quote author=BellBiz30 link=topic=96239.msg1183677#msg1183677 date=1330012390]
Dayton obviously was a better team than some people gave them credit for...on that note great job Dayton for giving 20-4a district champs a fight, and great job Nederland for the big W!
[/quote]

Well said and, in my opinion, very accurate.  I watched Dayton play 4 games in early December and they are considerably better now than they were then.
[/quote]Or maybe Nederland isn't as good as they were earlier. THEY way they played Dayton certainly opens up the thought process.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1183713" timestamp="1330013982"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=96239.msg1183696#msg1183696 date=1330013408]
[quote author=BellBiz30 link=topic=96239.msg1183677#msg1183677 date=1330012390]
[/quote]

[/quote]Or maybe Nederland isn't as good as they were earlier. THEY way they played Dayton certainly opens up the thought process.
[/quote]

Then your thought process is that Dayton is no better than they were and Nederland is worse?  How does one arrive at that conclusion?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124