$10 Fee to hunt Star Lake??

[quote name="Loudmouth" post="1158085" timestamp="1326305640"]
When did they charging $10 to hunt Star Lake at McFaddin? and when did I miss the uproar over this?? I thought that is why I have to buy a fed duck stamp... >:(
Do you still pay if you have a AHP?
[/quote]

A federal duck stamp has nothing to do with hunting on federal or state property any more then a hunting license gives you permission to hunt on another person's land. Just like a hunting license, it is right to hunt tax and not a permit to be anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="tvc184" post="1158386" timestamp="1326339914"]
I thought most of it went to buying wintering grounds in the Canadian prairies where most of the ducks and geese hatch their young.
[/quote]

Most of it is syphoned off to unrelated government programs. I supposed some reaches to refuges but the majority of that is park ranger payroll. A lot of the work done at NWR's is private individuals and groups donating time and money. I don't remember anyone ever saying that Federal duck stamp money is to provide us a place to hunt, at least I never heard that.

Now Texas on the other hand, leases over 2 million acres a year with revenue from the APH.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name="injun" post="1183272" timestamp="1329948189"]
The Anahuac Refuge has been charging a fee on the East Unit for quite a few years now..
[/quote]

Yes, but the comment was about Duck stamp revenue and what it is supposed to be allocated to, point is the purchase of a duck stamp does not give you access to hunting land.

McFaddin National Wildlife Refuge, established a year later, encompasses nearly 59,000 acres and has been acquired entirely through Migratory Bird Conservation Commission Funds (includes Federal Duck Stamp dollars).

http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/conservation/states/Texas/Profiles/McFaddin-TexasPointNWR.htm

My question was really as to WHY this was done this year to hunt Star Lake. It just ticked me off to know that I was now gunna have to pay $10 a person to go hunt out there. My dad would never have been able to afford to take me and my brother hunting out there as often as we did. $30 a hunt for a dad and his kids??!! Maybe that's what they are trying to accomplish here. There seems to be way more hunters now than just a few years ago. If you walk in down the beach it is still free(for now...)
And the comment about AHP, one of the things they did was to make all the WMA's permit areas. Like Dam-B north of 190. It was always free until the Type-2 system came out.
I'm just mad at one more thing that's going to cost me more $$$ Especially for hunting somewhere I love to go.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder