Nederland vs. Lumberton Game Thread/Nederland wins!

WOSgrad

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not Nederland's style of game, cheermoom...we play defense and field position with the offense taking advantage of those opportunities and controlling the clock...to me, as impressive as two consecutive shutouts is, two games in a row allowing less than 100 yards...that is really amazing when you think about it...Nederland has given up a total of 9 first downs in the last two games

[quote name="Cheermom4" post="1090758" timestamp="1319291114"]
Congrats Ned on the win.  I was shocked that the score wasn't much higher in this game.
[/quote]

Ned got off to a slow start dropping a td pass, missing a long fg, then having a punt deflect of the helmet of a blocker. The first quarter was over quickly and scoreless. After that, we scored nearly every time we had the ball before putting the backups in late. Lumberton seemed to be there to run the clock and not give up 50 points. They ran the same play over and over. Another great showing by our D.

True...Lumberton did have a definite "shorten the game and let's get outta here" approach to the game, it seemed...I am sure they were palying to win, but they just kept trying to cram the ball down Nederland's throat even when they were down quite a bit and never were in a hurry to speed things up.

[quote name="Razor" post="1090767" timestamp="1319291478"]
That's not Nederland's style of game, cheermoom...we play defense and field position with the offense taking advantage of those opportunities and controlling the clock...to me, as impressive as two consecutive shutouts is, two games in a row allowing less than 100 yards...that is really amazing when you think about it...Nederland has given up a total of 9 first downs in the last two games
[/quote]

No disrespect meant, I just figured the score would be much higher than 21.  I have seen what Nederland can do.

no disrespect taken at all, cheermom...I was just pointing out why you will rarely see Nederland hanging 50 on people...our style of play is just not conducive to that and I am perfectly OK with that as long as we keep hanging up "W's".

Cheermom, you are definitely one of the classy PNG posters on here, so again, no offense was taken at all on your post!

[quote name="Cheermom4" post="1090783" timestamp="1319292432"]
[quote author=Razor link=topic=90224.msg1090767#msg1090767 date=1319291478]
[/quote]

No disrespect meant, I just figured the score would be much higher than 21.  I have seen what Nederland can do.
[/quote]

It WAS a bit higher. Ned actually scored 28!  :)
I agree with the above posts, this Ned team is about their 'D'. Sure they scored 42 last week, but that was the only time all season they scored over 30. Another reason it was not more, IMO, is b/c they played down to the level of their opponent. It happens to the best of teams. No biggie. It's another 'W'. Who's next?

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1089681" timestamp="1319243551"]
Lumberton's fan support has dropped significantly in the last few years.  Their announcer is still annoying though.
[/quote]

Maybe annoying, but it's a new announcer,  I think he's better than the last guy...at least this new one doesn't lead the crowd in a "First Down!" cheer.

[quote name="invictus" post="1090822" timestamp="1319294269"]
I don't think Nederland's style is to run up the score on people either, so 28 points was more than sufficient.
[/quote]

That's exactly what it is. Our coaching staff has never had the killer mentality when the game is in hand. Doesn't bother me unless they do it too early. We went in there to get a win and we accomplished that. We didn't go in there to beat a team by 50. No need to kick a team when theyre down. I know other schools such as png try to run up the score but we don't.

[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1091160" timestamp="1319317072"]
[quote author=invictus link=topic=90224.msg1090822#msg1090822 date=1319294269]
I don't think Nederland's style is to run up the score on people either, so 28 points was more than sufficient.
[/quote]

That's exactly what it is. Our coaching staff has never had the killer mentality when the game is in hand. Doesn't bother me unless they do it too early. We went in there to get a win and we accomplished that. We didn't go in there to beat a team by 50. No need to kick a team when theyre down. I know other schools such as png try to run up the score but we don't.
[/quote]

Yep, it just isn't necessary.  A win is a win is a win.

Bottom line is the coaching staff keeps working on the things that need to be improved on. The defense never gave them an inch and by the third quarter Lumberton was still playing but without as much enthusiasm as the start of the game. The Dog's won and continue to get better and that's all that counts.

[quote name="dawgnut" post="1091255" timestamp="1319324216"]
Bottom line is the coaching staff keeps working on the things that need to be improved on. The defense never gave them an inch and by the third quarter Lumberton was still playing but without as much enthusiasm as the start of the game. The Dog's won and continue to get better and that's all that counts.
[/quote]

Bulldog defense looked real good.  What has me worried is that the score with less than 2 min before the half was only 7 to 0.  Offense needs some work.

[quote name="Razor" post="1090787" timestamp="1319292776"]
no disrespect taken at all, cheermom...I was just pointing out why you will rarely see Nederland hanging 50 on people...our style of play is just not conducive to that and I am perfectly OK with that as long as we keep hanging up "W's".

[b]Cheermom, you are definitely one of the classy PNG posters on here, so again, no offense was taken at all on your post![/b]
[/quote]

Thank you, Razor I sure try to be but it doesn't always happen.  I am only human but I try to set a good example for my children.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami