Weights

for basketball. Like um or not?  If so, which type is good? Harmful?    Anybody remember Sedric Johnson from Arp....Watched him as a sophmore at the state tourney. He was quick and could play above the rim. Awesome player....They made it back his sr. year and he was muscled up andf looked like a beast....only problem was he had lost his quickness and wasn't  half the player he was his soph year......I'm not against using weights (they have their place)but not so much as district approaches..........I know, MJ lifted on game days.

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1078400" timestamp="1318199018"]
As for high school basketball.....I for one do not like to weight. I am getting tired of weighting, and don't think I can weight much more. As for the NBA it looks like we will have to weight a whole year. ;D
[/quote]

Maybe those NBA players will join some cross country teams this season.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1078403" timestamp="1318199391"]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=89371.msg1078400#msg1078400 date=1318199018]
As for high school basketball.....I for one do not like to weight. I am getting tired of weighting, and don't think I can weight much more. As for the NBA it looks like we will have to weight a whole year. ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]

I do know for a fact Perkins has been in the gym hittin the weights pretty regularly lately, but I can't vouch for his cross country routine.  ;)

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1078412" timestamp="1318199864"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=89371.msg1078403#msg1078403 date=1318199391]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=89371.msg1078400#msg1078400 date=1318199018]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I do know for a fact Perkins has been in the gym hittin the weights pretty regularly lately, but I can't vouch for his cross country routine.  ;)
[/quote]
Weights are the right thing for him  I don't imagine he would break any speed or endurance records on the cross country course.

Weights are a must IMO. Weights improve strength, power, explosiveness, and helps to prevent injuries. Too many b-ball coaches under emphasize their value. The only time I believe they are not of value is on game day. Definitely messes up your shot. Would love to see Nederland bulk up a bit and push other teams around (for a change).  :)

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1078683" timestamp="1318216632"]
[b]Weights are a must IMO. Weights improve strength, power, explosiveness, and helps to prevent injuries. Too many b-ball coaches under emphasize their value[/b]. The only time I believe they are not of value is on game day. Definitely messes up your shot. Would love to see Nederland bulk up a bit and push other teams around (for a change).  :)
[/quote]

Amen.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1079420" timestamp="1318283803"]
Weights help with mental training and endurance during long tournaments and season. Oh but thats right, cc does the same thing :-\
[/quote]

Weights (which should be combined with stretching) also help with upper body strength and coordination.

[quote name="SmashMouth" post="1079515" timestamp="1318293836"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=89371.msg1079420#msg1079420 date=1318283803]
Weights help with mental training and endurance during long tournaments and season. Oh but thats right, cc does the same thing :-\
[/quote]

Weights (which should be combined with stretching) also help with upper body strength and coordination.
[/quote] I do believe in weights. I really do see the benefits when "boys" start to play against bigger, older, quicker and stronger "men" during the summer months.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1079879" timestamp="1318353069"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=89371.msg1079871#msg1079871 date=1318352866]
And luckily football will be over in a month or so and our prayers will be answered once again.
[/quote]

For some. ;)

Even Ozen may be playing football at the end of November.
[/quote] Hmmmmm! You do have a point. Something I gotta adjust too ;)

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1086611" timestamp="1318906582"]
I am a firm believer in appropriate weight training. Another mode of training I think is really underutilized is plyometrics. I have seen players verticals go through the roof with appropriate use of plyos.
[/quote]I'm in agreement with this.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1087597" timestamp="1319036607"]
If a player does not shoot, pass, and defend well, I am not that interested in how high he jumps.
[/quote]Thank you! Thank you! A man with some common sense. I'm so tired of hearing about players who can dunk a ball. I always follow-up with: can they hit a mid range shot with some consistency? Can't fool the old schoolers with that X-Box mentality.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1087597" timestamp="1319036607"]
If a player does not shoot, pass, and defend well, I am not that interested in how high he jumps.
[/quote]

Yeah why should anyone work to be a "complete" player anyway?? Just pick a couple of skills and work on that.  ::) :o

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1087716" timestamp="1319046432"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=89371.msg1087597#msg1087597 date=1319036607]
[/quote]

Yeah why should anyone work to be a "complete" player anyway?? Just pick a couple of skills and work on that.  ::) :o
[/quote]

I assume that you are belittling my last comment.  I am all for strength training and endurance training but NOT at the cost of skill training/improvement.  If you have a player who looks like Adonis and can dunk flat footed and run the 100 yd dash in 9.5 seconds, that is great.  However, if he can't make a free throw when it matters, or doesnt know how to "take care" of the ball and not turn it over, I would gladly sacrifice some of that strength and speed for a better set of skills.  I think Larry Bird is probably a good example of what I am suggesting.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1087727" timestamp="1319047244"]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=89371.msg1087716#msg1087716 date=1319046432]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I assume that you are belittling my last comment.  I am all for strength training and endurance training but NOT at the cost of skill training/improvement.  If you have a player who looks like Adonis and can dunk flat footed and run the 100 yd dash in 9.5 seconds, that is great.  However, if he can't make a free throw when it matters, or doesnt know how to "take care" of the ball and not turn it over, I would gladly sacrifice some of that strength and speed for a better set of skills.  I think Larry Bird is probably a good example of what I am suggesting.
[/quote]Bird is gone. Only one Bird. Get over it. Not in your lifetime ;D

He is still good evidence that skills and intellect are the most important when it comes to functioning well in a legitimate TEAM environment.  Kobe Bryant is muscularly well defined and jumps very well but that has never stopped Paul Pierce from competing quite well against him.  Dove, the best part is that you KNOW that I am right on the money on the Bird analogy so your only comeback is to say he is from the past.  Kevin McHale was another perfect example of no muscles, no speed, no vertical jump  but somehow managed to be a 7 time All Star and helped bring a title or two to Boston

[quote name="stevenash" post="1087727" timestamp="1319047244"]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=89371.msg1087716#msg1087716 date=1319046432]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Not belittling, just some fun debate.  I agree you have to have the fundamentals, and jumping ability isn't  the first priority.  But a LOT of kids with a good skill set don't work on improving their jumping ability. I just find it very frustrating when a good athlete doesn't meet his full potential, either because he has a bad work ethic or because of a lack of appropriate guidance on how to achieve it. I believe it's the "details" that can make a good athlete a great athlete. And I agree with Dove, the athletes of yesteryear are FAR different from the athletes of today, apples and oranges.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder