Recruiting Question

I think a lot of people don't know the following:
Collegiate coaches are not allowed to contact athletes before July 1st of their senior year. However athletes are allowed to contact coaches of schools they are interested in.

So here is my question why do so many people talk about all theses kids who are sophomores/juniors receiving interest from all these schools.

Thousands of letters are sent out every season, so a letter doesn't equate to a scholarship.

[quote name="Kris_Gilmore" post="1060951" timestamp="1316482201"]
I think a lot of people don't know the following:
Collegiate coaches are not allowed to contact athletes before July 1st of their senior year. However athletes are allowed to contact coaches of schools they are interested in.

So here is my question why do so many people talk about all theses kids who are sophomores/juniors receiving interest from all these schools.

Thousands of letters are sent out every season, so a letter doesn't equate to a scholarship.
[/quote]You answered your own question ;)

Alot of people do assume that getting letters in the mail means that a player will get a scholarship from that school. Just ask kids who get letters and asked them how many scholarships came from it. Letters do nothing more than show that a school is interested. The level of interest varies between each player depending on their talent. If that school feels Jon Doe is a great fit for their program, then they will recieve more than just a letter. They will recieve a scholarship. If not then it will go no further than that unless the player contacts the school and shows the school that he is a fit for their program and they buy into the players claims. Whether its from game footage or at a tryout.

Coaches are able to email recruits during the majority of their junior year.  What typically happens with sophomores and juniors that receive offers is the school will send a letter or email requesting the recruit to call a particular coach at a particular time.  When you call them, they are able to talk as long as they need to.  If you travel to the school at your own expense, the coaches can speak with you as much as they want to.  If you are an elite recruit, you will receive offers in the form of a letter during sophomore or junior year based only on your highlight tape.  Their are some small differences in the rules regarding basketball versus football

letters are what they are, just letters, they dont mean squat, most are form letters that are sent from a data base to everyone each school has heard of. Coaches are only allowed to text you once a week after sept. 1st of your jr. year, then they can call you once a month after july of your sr. year, there are still dead periods when they cannot talk to you at all during there jr. and sr. year, you can call them as many times as you want, but they cannot call you back if they dont answer, the best way to get to them is to attend there camps, thou they cannot offer you at the camp, you'll recieve letters inviting you to there jr. days, call them and let them know you will be attending, be proactive with your recruiting, if you like a school you need to let them know, because its like dating a girl, if she doesn't know you like her, she will go looking somewhere else.

Yeah I started doing research and was unaware on some of the NCAA recruiting rules for football.  It is weird to me that the rules are different for football compared to other sports.  The only one difference is the ONE allowed phone call, which IMO just increases the chances of recruiting violations to occur.  The following article states the NCAA rules for recruiting 9th - 12th grade  http://www.ehow.com/way_5347365_ncaa-football-recruiting-rules.html .  What is funny is in one article I was reading is how some collegiate coaches just make verbal offers and they even admitted how most of the time they don't give the kid a scholarship it is just to not lose a recruit to another school.  Mainly just to keep them still interested in their school.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder