West Brook's Robert Redd ruled eligible by UIL

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="82 5A State Champs" post="1044863" timestamp="1314725043"]
Is that normal protocol? If he was enrolled last school year, one would think he would be eligible to play this school year. Does anybody know if he played in the game against Ozen?
[/quote]
No, he was on the sideline with jersey and jeans on.

[quote name="82 5A State Champs" post="1044863" timestamp="1314725043"]
Is that normal protocol? If he was enrolled last school year, one would think he would be eligible to play this school year. Does anybody know if he played in the game against Ozen?
[/quote]

No, he did not.

I do not understand why he is not eligible. I would have thought when he enrolled in the spring, his eligibility would have been discussed then not at the beginning of this school year.

Well, even if the decision was left for the beginning of this year, shouldn't that have been a decision made much earlier than last night?  Now, Coach Stump and Robert are having to prepare an appeal during football season and Robert will have missed 20% of his senior football season, at least.

The district 21 5-A committee is a hard arse, they give Brook  and PAM a hard time all the time. We always have to make sure all our paperwork in order and on time. In 2005 they tried to disqualify both schools because of hurricane damage they said we didn't have an adequate place to play.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1044867" timestamp="1314725247"]
[quote author=82 5A State Champs link=topic=87429.msg1044863#msg1044863 date=1314725043]
[/quote]

No, he did not.

I do not understand why he is not eligible. I would have thought when he enrolled in the spring, his eligibility would have been discussed then not at the beginning of this school year.
[/quote]
It's a technicality...WOS head coach did not release him...when the Kelly Rb transferred(from WB last year) I remember the WB staff commenting on that...if they(W.O in this case) do not release him and acknowledge the transfer was NOT for athletic purposes...he WOULD  be eligible......because he was not signed off on...UIL considers him ineligible...

[quote name="Le Sgt Rey (French)" post="1045223" timestamp="1314751685"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=87429.msg1044867#msg1044867 date=1314725247]
[quote author=82 5A State Champs link=topic=87429.msg1044863#msg1044863 date=1314725043]
[/quote]

No, he did not.

[/quote]
It's a technicality...WOS head coach did not release him...when the Kelly Rb transferred(from WB last year) I remember the WB staff commenting on that...if they(W.O in this case) do not release him and acknowledge the transfer was NOT for athletic purposes...he WOULD  be eligible......because he was not signed off on...UIL considers him ineligible...
[/quote]

I guess the question now is, why didn't WOS release him?

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1045297" timestamp="1314759796"]
Probably because he transferred for athletic purposes, like the form asks.
[/quote]

Well actually, that is not exactly true (at least cannot be proven). Because the WOS High school has an unacceptable rating from TEA, it's my understanding that students can transfer out of that district. With this being his senior year and he moved to Beaumont to a 5A school from a 3A school, it would be hard pressed to prove he moved for athletic purposes.

But, I do realize that it could be the case that you have mentioned, Gas.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1045301" timestamp="1314760334"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=87429.msg1045297#msg1045297 date=1314759796]
[/quote]

Well actually, that is not exactly true (at least cannot be proven). Because the WOS High school has an unacceptable rating from TEA, it's my understanding that students can transfer out of that district. With this being his senior year and he moved to Beaumont to a 5A school from a 3A school, it would be hard pressed to prove he moved for athletic purposes.

[/quote]

You could be correct about that part AAW, I really am not sure how all of that works. But, as for why he REALLY moved, was absolutely 100% for athletic reasons.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1045306" timestamp="1314760617"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=87429.msg1045301#msg1045301 date=1314760334]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=87429.msg1045297#msg1045297 date=1314759796]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You could be correct about that part AAW, I really am not sure how all of that works. But, as for why he REALLY moved, was absolutely 100% for athletic reasons.
[/quote]

Just a question, what would he gain athletically by transferring to West Brook? It's my understanding he was going to start for the Mustangs in both football and basketball and be a vital component to the success of these two sports at WOS.

That would probably be a better question for him as I tend to agree with you. Maybe, he got some bad advice along the line.

I've also been informed that the transfer rules for the UIL pertain to the overall TEA rating, not that of 1 campus. The rating for the district is Acceptable. So I guess the transfer rule does not apply.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1045319" timestamp="1314762835"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=87429.msg1045318#msg1045318 date=1314762000]
http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/forms/papf.pdf
[/quote]

???
[/quote]

Question#6 on the 2nd page is the biggie!

And for those who are asking about why he can't play this year when he enrolled last Spring. If question #6 is not checked "no". Then the student has to sit out 1 year from the date he enrolled to play varsity sports. This would make him elligible after the season.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1045321" timestamp="1314763078"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=87429.msg1045319#msg1045319 date=1314762835]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=87429.msg1045318#msg1045318 date=1314762000]
http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/forms/papf.pdf
[/quote]

???
[/quote]

Question#6 on the 2nd page is the biggie!

And for those who are asking about why he can't play this year when he enrolled last Spring. If question #6 is not checked "no". Then the student has to sit out 1 year from the date he enrolled to play varsity sports. This would make him elligible after the season.
[/quote]

Well, I realize that question is on the form. Still didn't understand why it was posted, at least what the point was.

Having that question on there still doesn't prove anything as to if the young man moved for athletic reasons. But, I have a good idea. ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder