Nederland vs. West Orange-Stark Game Thread/Nederland wins!

EKURU

The officiating wasn't too great overall for both teams. There was one occasion where pass interference should have been called on wos. The other both the receiver and defender got tangled with each other and the refs made the right call. It was clearly accidental contact. As for the long pass from Nederland to the Wos 2 yard line, that was definately another missed call. After they showed the replay, the nederland receiver was CLEARLY 1 to 2 yards out of bounds and was on top of the wos defender, he never touched until he rolled over the defender 5 yards out of bounds. The 2 point conversion was close, it could have gone either way. Either way no excuses here and not taking anything away from the bulldogs. Both teams played a helluva game. A few different calls in the game and it could have ended differently but hey that's football. This game definitely benefited both teams tonight. Good luck to the dogs on the rest of yall's season yall should make some noise in 20-4a. As for the stangs we will be fine. The defense for the most part was the usual chain gang d. Silvers flying to the ball from every direction. The secondary could use a little bit of work but they should be fine as the season progresses. Offense still has a few kinks to work out but they looked more in sync from the previous scrimmages. Good game to both teams, and good luck to them too.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Ned! Hold your head up Stangs, you played well. There is going to be a bunch of complaining about some calls, I can guarantee, but the bottom line is when we had Ned 3rd and 11 on their own 30. We hit the fullback in the backfield by 2 players but we don't wrap up and he bounces off and goes for 40 yards, then you are leaving it to fate. If we make that tackle, the game is over.

Hard to believe we lost that one.

[quote name="#1 Manager" post="1042316" timestamp="1314420240"]
[quote author=the-riot07 link=topic=87186.msg1042282#msg1042282 date=1314419004]
I could tell you 100 reasons why nederland won that game and none of them have to do with the players haha. But no way that game should have been that close, wos dominated the whole game. But thats what happens when you leave a team in the game and dont put them away! Some of the wildest officiating calls ive ever seen lol. Never seen a kickoff return blown dead for no reason. And ive never seen a guy catch a pass and land a yard out of bounds and call him in. And ive never seen a highschool player catch a pass and fall then roll into the endzone hahaha but owell its over and on to the next! Good game bulldogs for sticking around. And as for us stangs lets get after it cause if we dont Show up and play 4 solid quarters next week we will be 0-2! Lets not let that happen! haha
[/quote]

This post is funny.....how come everytime a team loses their first reaction is to question refs calls (this includes nederland as well) In my 4 years @ Nederland we never beat WOS  u you have to date back to '03! And every year WOS would talk crap so im going say Nederland won cause they had the BETTER team! WOS got out played!  and cause........

WOS caught that LeBron Disease: They didnt show up in the 4th quarter!!!!  lol    ;D
[/quote]

The two no call pass interference penalties that were not called could have hurt us (WOS), in honesty I thought the first one should have been called but the second one I agree should have been a no call. That is judgment calls and rightfully so. WOS had our chances to win but we couldn't get over the hump. We lost fair and square, but it is a shame with the game on the line that the refs had to come into play. No excuses we lost, but how on earth can a ref miss to calls (especially the sideline catch when the ref was on top of the play). Would have love to have seen the replay on the coversion but from our angle the player was down with his back hitting the ground before he even got to the goal line. Mustangs make no excuses when we lose. Good luck Bulldogs and hopefully both teams will get  better officiating.

Great game, Dogs! Never gave up. Chain Gang Defense was very impressive. I am so ready for that great little tailback at WO-S to graduate. What a tough runner he is at 5'5 175! Fast and strong. The game was good overall. Nederland controlled the 1st quarter, WO-S controlled the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and Nederland again looked strong in the 4th. Officiating was awful all night. Both teams got their share of bad calls. Nederland's D has improved, but 3rd downs and big plays are still a problem. Very impressed with the new WR'S at Ned, particularly Shaw and Kimler. Raines had an up and down night, but finished really well and looks to be much, much more comfy than last year. #24 ran well for Dogs and made a huge difference in 2nd half.. WHO is he? Loved the call at the end to go for 2 after the great TD catch by Shaw. The 2 point conversion was CLOSE. It is the type of play that has not gone our way the past several years so it was nice to get one. Great game Stangs and Dogs. I think both teams will get better and better throughout the year. Great football game!

[quote name="EagleFan01" post="1042319" timestamp="1314420290"]
[quote author=the-riot07 link=topic=87186.msg1042282#msg1042282 date=1314419004]
I could tell you 100 reasons why nederland won that game and none of them have to do with the players haha. But no way that game should have been that close, wos dominated the whole game. But thats what happens when you leave a team in the game and dont put them away! Some of the wildest officiating calls ive ever seen lol. Never seen a kickoff return blown dead for no reason. And ive never seen a guy catch a pass and land a yard out of bounds and call him in. And ive never seen a highschool player catch a pass and fall then roll into the endzone hahaha but owell its over and on to the next! Good game bulldogs for sticking around. And as for us stangs lets get after it cause if we dont Show up and play 4 solid quarters next week we will be 0-2! Lets not let that happen! haha
[/quote]

I can't answer but one of those questions riot, and that is the reason the ball was blown dead for no reason was because the ball was kicked into the endzone and new rule put in last year i believe is that if the ball is kicked to the endzone caught or not it is now a touchback.. Stupid rule I know but hey its a rule.
[/quote]

He caught the ball in the field of play and ran into the endzone attempting a reverse.  I'm not sure what the call was on that play, unless it is a new rule as you suggest.

Im sorry if it sounded like i was puting the bulldogs down, that is NOT the case! Just a lil frustrated with the refs and the few brain farts the stangs had. lol The bulldogs did their part and they are not refs so therefore you cant take anything away from them! But we cannot fumble in our own territory and give a good team a short field and you cant have blown coverages against a kid with a good arm! Britton lindsey is an absolute beast and our defense is its usual self! We will be fine! Good game and good luck bulldogs...

[b]Nederland Team Stats [/b]
Total yds 1st downs Rushing yds  Yds/Att  Passing yds Yds/Catch
229              10                69                2.88    160              13.33

Passing
Name          Comp Att Pct Yds  TD INT
Carson Raines  12  24  50  160  2  2 

Rushing
Name              Att Yds Yds/Att TD
Kendrick Hopkins 2  57  28.5  0 
Troy Benjamin 14  17  1.21  0 
Zac Taylor      2  1  0.5  0 
Edwin Nelson  1  0  0  0 
Carson Raines 5  -6  -1.2  0 

Receiving
Name              Rec Yds TD
Michael Shaw    6  73  2
Colton Kimler    2  61  0
Daniel Atterberry 2  18  0
Seth Barrow    1  10    0 
Troy Benjamin  1  -2    0 

[b]WOS Team Stats[/b]
Total yds First downs Rushing yds Yds/Att Passing yds Yds/Catch
282            14              180        4.39        102            9.27

Passing
Name        Comp Att  Pct      Yds TD INT
Jimmy Salter  11  15  73.33  102  1  0 

Rushing
Name              Att Yds Yds/Att TD
Britton Lindsey 24  145  6.04  2 
Quinton Tezeno 3  23  7.67  0 
Abear Simien  5  19  3.8  0 
Jimmy Salter  9  -7  -0.78  0 

Receiving
Name                Rec Yds  TD
Larry Sonnier      4  53    0 
J'Marcus Rhodes 2  16    1 
Derrick Ledet      2  16    0 
Nathaniel Colbert 2  12    0 
Da'Carlos Renfro 1  5    0 

Raines impressed me a lot tonight with his toughness.  He was hit a few times hard and hobbled off of the field, but kept coming back. The last drive I'm not sure Carson knew where he was after that big hit he took, but he dusted himself off and ran back out there.  He showed a lot of leadership and heart in the 4th quarter and his team followed him.  [b]Montie- Please take any designed QB runs out of the playbook![/b] We need our QB for all of our games this year.  I was very impressed with our young group of receivers.  Micheal Shaw can run with anyone on the field.  I look for big things from him this year.  The running game was non existent, except for the 2 big runs by Hopkins.

I thought the Nederland defense played pretty well.  WOS had one good drive where they ran it down our throat, but other than that the D played pretty solid.  One big TD run by Lindsey and a short field after a turnover led to the other scores.  Getting Prior back should help clog up the middle some.  I wasn't impressed with the new offense of WOS trying to run up the middle from the Power I.  They were successful using their speed and getting around the edge like a typical WOS team.  Lindsey is a stud and will give every team they play fits.  Take out the big TD run and Ned held him to 4 yds a carry, which I will take from a RB of his calibur.

Overall it was a good, hard fought game between two pretty good teams.  Hopefully everyone came out healthy and will be ready for next week. 

First of all I would like to congratulate both teams on a hard fought game. WOS is stout and should not have any problem blowing through their district this year. Second of all I would like to give props to the Dogs for making adjustments especially late in the game to move the ball on a very good stang defense. The Nederland Defense deserves some props for making some big stops when it counted. As for the officiating, If I was a WOS fan, I could not bring myself to whine about any questionable calls since the last 30 years danny boy has made sure that 90% if the calls go your way. A loss is a loss so man up and accept it for what it is. By the way, My prediction on this game was spot on.

[quote name="Roughrider" post="1042369" timestamp="1314425002"]
First of all I would like to congratulate both teams on a hard fought game. WOS is stout and should not have any problem blowing through their district this year. Second of all I would like to give props to the Dogs for making adjustments especially late in the game to move the ball on a very good stang defense. The Nederland Defense deserves some props for making some big stops when it counted. [b]As for the officiating, If I was a WOS fan, I could not bring myself to whine about any questionable calls since the last 30 years danny boy has made sure that 90% if the calls go your way. A loss is a loss so man up and accept it for what it is. By the way, My prediction on this game was spot on.[/b][/quote]

Dan was a great coach and I hate that he retired.  I admired his passion for the game however, I do not THINK butI KNOW that his will was not imposed on the refs.  If anything it went the other way.  Had you watched a few WOS games you would know that it is not possible for 90% of the calls to have gone the Mustang's way.  Congrats to both teams on a hard fought game....Ned as always is very disciplined and makes you pay for any mistakes.

[quote name="#1stangfan" post="1042376" timestamp="1314426712"]
[quote author=Roughrider link=topic=87186.msg1042369#msg1042369 date=1314425002]
First of all I would like to congratulate both teams on a hard fought game. WOS is stout and should not have any problem blowing through their district this year. Second of all I would like to give props to the Dogs for making adjustments especially late in the game to move the ball on a very good stang defense. The Nederland Defense deserves some props for making some big stops when it counted. [b]As for the officiating, If I was a WOS fan, I could not bring myself to whine about any questionable calls since the last 30 years danny boy has made sure that 90% if the calls go your way. A loss is a loss so man up and accept it for what it is. By the way, My prediction on this game was spot on.[/b][/quote]

Dan was a great coach and I hate that he retired.  I admired his passion for the game however, I do not THINK butI KNOW that his will was not imposed on the refs.  If anything it went the other way.  Had you watched a few WOS games you would know that [b][/b]it is not possible for 90% of the calls to have gone the Mustang's way.[b][/b]  Congrats to both teams on a hard fought game....Ned as always is very disciplined and makes you pay for any mistakes.
[/quote]

Dream On Pal, I not only played against him, I have watched several WOS games and he lived on the hash marks ripping officials every friday. Just let it go because I promise you will lose this argument.

I am sorry....I didn't know you wrote the bio on Dan Hooks.  Please accept my apology.  I didn't know that you had watched SEVERAL WOS games AND played against him....that must make you 1 in a million.  Ripping officials always get results.  Didn't know who I was talking to.  I let it go.....thanks for the advice.

Guest TribePride75
Great game!!! The hit that QB Raines took towards the end of the game wow! Got rocked and still held it together! Also WO-S really impressive football team, #43 Lindsey... shades of Barry Sanders.

First I hope B.Brown is ok ..I gave him a hug when he was leaving the stadium he did not know where he was...man I hate that, great kid and great family... Carson Rains WOW...Shaw ... ...Kilmer..Barrow what a core of recievers...D-FENCE Stampley..Woods and that Big D line ...You guys looked good ...One of the best tailbacks you will see this season(Lindsey)...I love the adjustments made late in the game by Ned..And then coach Neuman goes for the win ...NICE..And you are right Roughrider Hooks had ways to get calls and on top of that he is a great coach ...........It was fun watching the football game now that Trevin is in Fort Worth ;)..Congrats DOGS .Looking forward  to the rest of the season...I would like to see Zack run some Wild Dog ;)

[quote name="raidernaytion" post="1042358" timestamp="1314423404"]
Nederland gets the refs again ,  I would hate to win that way .

* Mod edit for player bashing
[/quote]35-21 Jasper won right.....Was not sure if you knew that because your on the wrong site :P

[quote name="BaseBow" post="1042428" timestamp="1314449738"]
[quote author=raidernaytion link=topic=87186.msg1042358#msg1042358 date=1314423404]
**** Neds QB can not throw ****
[/quote]35-21 Jasper won right.....Was not sure if you knew that because your on the wrong site :P
[/quote]

Wow , you're a genius but yes i know

[quote name="raidernaytion" post="1042437" timestamp="1314450875"]
[quote author=BaseBow link=topic=87186.msg1042428#msg1042428 date=1314449738]
[quote author=raidernaytion link=topic=87186.msg1042358#msg1042358 date=1314423404]
**** Neds QB can not throw ****
[/quote]

Wow , you're a genius but yes i know
[/quote]Thanks

[quote name="raidernaytion" post="1042358" timestamp="1314423404"]

***** Neds QB can not throw *****
[/quote]

Wow...and then Ltown fans wonder why they don't get any respect or love?...making stupid comments like that doesn't help your case...were you actually at the game, cuz if you were, you couldn't have been watching too well?

BEAUMONT — This season-opening thriller – Nederland 21, West Orange-Stark 20 – was decided on a roll, and not the roll of the dice.

With 24.6 seconds remaining, and with fans on both sides of the Provost Umphrey Stadium standing on their feet, wide receiver Michael Shaw hauled in an 8-yard pass from quarterback Carson Raines to cap a nine-play, 80-yard Nederland drive, pulling the Bulldogs to within one point of the Mustangs.

Then came the play that may wind one being one of Southeast Texas’ most talked about ones of the entire 2011 high school football season.

[b]After a timeout, Nederland coach Larry Neumann shunned kicking an extra point that most certainly would have sent the game into overtime and went for the win. The Bulldogs were rewarded when sophomore running back Corey Hopkins latched on Raines’ pass into the right flat and rolled into the end zone.

That’s right – rolled or perhaps fell backward into the end zone for the decisive two points.

It appeared, you see, to many press box observes that Hopkins’ rear touched the artificial turf inside the 1-yard line before he rolled backwards into the north end zone.
[/b]
Nonetheless, regardless of the somewhat controversial ruling, it certainly doesn’t diminish the effort the Bulldogs put into their near miraculous comeback from an early fourth-quarter deficit of 20-7.

West-Orange-Stark’s Cornel Thompson, who made his debut as legendary coach Dan Hooks’ successor before the crowd of about 8,500, certainly won’t dispute that.

“We weren’t able to put it away,” said Thompson. “We played hard, and we played well for the most part, but there were some plays on which we had poor execution. “We gave up a couple of big plays coming down the stretch, and you can’t do that and survive against a good team. We had them (the Bulldogs) on the ropes, then we let them up.

That and the phantom out-of-bounds catch were disappointing after WO-S shut down most of Ned's offense except for a few big plays - tons and tons of tackles behind the line of scrimmage - but we shouldn't have let the 'Dogs back into the game. Good game, Ned.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder