West Orange-Stark vs. Vidor Scrimmage Thread/Post comments here!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The mustangs will be fine! Just need to get everyone healthy! Still played without half of our secondary tonight and another member of the secondary went down tonight. Vidor's offense is a tricky one and took a while for the guys to start hitting the right person haha. But the defense settled down and the offense picked up. And from what i seen both teams played the starters throughout, except for the kids who were banged up. I expect vidor to have a good season this year and battle for a playoff spot in 4a. As for the stangs we will be fine and improve every week.

What I saw:

It was just a scrimmage.  No one should overreact. 

No returns on rushing on Special Teams.  Both Special Teams had some high points and some low points.  But had they allowed returns you would think Advantage to WOS. 

No enforcement of any penalties.  Just call the Penalty and not mark off the yardage.  This was not a big deal as both sides were helped and hurt by this.  But WOS benefited slightly more in the modified format tonight.

Starters vs Subs:  I can only comment on the Vidor side.  I do not think that Vidor made any subs (other than situational) in the 1st half.  In the 2nd half, they played more backups on both sides of the ball.  But it was not like they sat all the starters for the whole 2nd half.  But there were some rotations. 

Vidor QBs:  I am very interested in what others thought of the rotation and both of their play.  They are different.  Both of them appear to be Full-Time Defensive Players.  I liked much of what I saw from both of them. 

Probably the most encouraging thing for Vidor in the first 3 quarters is that IIRC we were +1 in Turnover department (with no turnovers from Vidor).  The 2 late turnovers were critical.  One fumble inside the 5 yard line and an interception inside the Red Zone returned 60+ yards were both critical to the outcome.

Hardest Hit of the Night might have been on the 40 yard QB keeper in the 4th when he had to take out the Umpire who couldn't get out of the way.  I am so glad no one stepped on him as everyone ran by and hope that he was not seriously hurt.

Guest Pirate_pride_07
[quote name="daddy23" post="1037396" timestamp="1313726991"]
Hardest Hit of the Night might have been on the 40 yard QB keeper in the 4th when he had to take out the Umpire who couldn't get out of the way.  I am so glad no one stepped on him as everyone ran by and hope that he was not seriously hurt.
[/quote]
Definitely loved that hit. That made the whole crowd go crazy lol.

Let me say this... I hope there is NO insinuation here that EITHER team was not there to win last night. Any subsititutions made by vidor was only to give the starters a breather. The same for WOS. When your head coach falls to the ground in the 4th qtr because of an overthrown pass, he is trying to win. So let's not try and make any excuses (and I'm not saying anyone has, but it is definitely in the air so let's just squash it now).

I agree that there was a huge difference with penalties not being assessed and no special teams. But both sides were out to win within the confines of the scrimmage. Yes, I know no one "wins" a scrimmage, but neither side played like that last night.

I thought Vidor looked good last night. That offense is and always has been hard on us. I was proud of our players for settling in after being punched in the mouth and playing football. I think it was good for our defense. The injuries are going to hurt, no doubt. But they started occuring early in the 2nd half but the defense still played well.

We are, without question, far more effective out of the Pistol. It spreads the field, gives our backs space to pick their holes and make cuts and it gives Jimmy the room to do what he does best. Make plays. Once we moved to the Pistol in the first half we started averaging 4 to 5 yards perry carry and our passing game opened up. For those who are not familiar with it we ran the Spread only 2 plays last night. The rest of the time we ran the Pistol.

I think Vidor is going to do well again this season. Not quite as big as they were a couple of years ago, but still very good size and that little Wingback can freakin run!

[quote name="GUNHO" post="1037440" timestamp="1313757919"]
Ok.Where have I been because I have no idea what the pistol is???
[/quote]

The Pistol is where you keep the Tight End, 2 Slots and a WR or WR and 1 Slot with two RB's. The QB is in shotgun and the RB lines up behind him. Sometimes there will be a FB line up next to the QB but the Tailback is always behind the QB. When the QB hands the ball off to the RB his pads are parallel to the LOS so the RB can see the entire line and pick his hole and hit it. The QB can also fake and keep it and run around the end or roll out pass. It's really more effective for running because of what I mentioned earlier, the RB has his pads parallel to the LOS so he can pick his hole unlike the Spread where he gets the ball on the Zone and he has his pads going to one side or the other, he is limited to that half of the field. When he gets the ball in the Pistol the whole field is open, he just has to find his opening, make his cut and go.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1037442" timestamp="1313758934"]
[quote author=GUNHO link=topic=86866.msg1037440#msg1037440 date=1313757919]
[/quote]

The Pistol is where you keep the Tight End, 2 Slots and a WR or WR and 1 Slot with two RB's. The QB is in shotgun and the RB lines up behind him. Sometimes there will be a FB line up next to the QB but the Tailback is always behind the QB. When the QB hands the ball off to the RB his pads are parallel to the LOS so the RB can see the entire line and pick his hole and hit it. The QB can also fake and keep it and run around the end or roll out pass. It's really more effective for running because of what I mentioned earlier, the RB has his pads parallel to the LOS so he can pick his hole unlike the Spread where he gets the ball on the Zone and he has his pads going to one side or the other, he is limited to that half of the field. When he gets the ball in the Pistol the whole field is open, he just has to find his opening, make his cut and go.
[/quote]They moved the ball good in that formation and the qb threw the ball very good last night.

[quote name="77" post="1037447" timestamp="1313760287"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=86866.msg1037442#msg1037442 date=1313758934]
[quote author=GUNHO link=topic=86866.msg1037440#msg1037440 date=1313757919]
[/quote]

[/quote]They moved the ball good in that formation and the qb threw the ball very good last night.
[/quote]

I thought so to, 77. Once we went to it, they never really stopped us. Jimmy will never "WOW" anyone with his strong arm or precision passing. But, in the right offense, he can move around and make plays with his arm or his legs. He's just one of those players that gets things done. I think that offense suits him.

I thought the Pirates looked better this week than they did last week and that's exactly what you want to see in these scrimmages as they get ready for the season, still got work to do on both sides of the ball...2 turnovers (1 fumble, 1 pic.) inside the red zone are costly. The Pirates defense was in the backfield on most of the pass plays WOS ran after they began to spread the field but couldn't quite get to Salter....gotta work on that for sure. Late in the scrimmage Vidor got sloppy with their tackling, no excuses for that.

Some positive things I saw, Vidor's defense played well against the run and the passing game, particularly early on. The Pirates offense ran the ball well, when the Stangs shut down the inside, Vidor went to their TB Bolinger and the speedy WOS defense could not contain him he had 2 TD's for the night. Quiante at QB had a great TD run....(hope that ref. is going to be ok.)

When the Stangs lined up in their pistol formation, with the QB about 4 yards behind the center it does open things up a lot, I think this formation works well for WOS, it gives them the chance to fire all their bullets and they have loads of ammunition.

[quote name="mustangproud" post="1037471" timestamp="1313763845"]
Just got word that Daniel Woodson is out for the season with a torn ACL. Could possibly be back if we go deep into the playoffs. We have other good players to fill in,  but he's a heck of a player. The bright side of it, he's a junior so he can rehab and come back next year.
[/quote]

So sorry to hear that about Woodson, I know when he was helped off the field it didn't look good.

[quote name="mustangproud" post="1037471" timestamp="1313763845"]
Just got word that Daniel Woodson is out for the season with a torn ACL. Could possibly be back if we go deep into the playoffs. We have other good players to fill in,  but he's a heck of a player. The bright side of it, he's a junior so he can rehab and come back next year.
[/quote]What ashame he is a good one.

[quote name="VPirate" post="1037467" timestamp="1313762675"]
I thought the Pirates looked better this week than they did last week and that's exactly what you want to see in these scrimmages as they get ready for the season, still got work to do on both sides of the ball...2 turnovers (1 fumble, 1 pic.) inside the red zone are costly. The Pirates defense was in the backfield on most of the pass plays WOS ran after they began to spread the field but couldn't quite get to Salter....gotta work on that for sure. Late in the scrimmage Vidor got sloppy with their tackling, no excuses for that.

Some positive things I saw, Vidor's defense played well against the run and the passing game, particularly early on. The Pirates offense ran the ball well, when the Stangs shut down the inside, Vidor went to their TB Bolinger and the speedy WOS defense could not contain him he had 2 TD's for the night. Quiante at QB had a great TD run....(hope that ref. is going to be ok.)

When the Stangs lined up in their pistol formation, with the QB about 4 yards behind the center it does open things up a lot, I think this formation works well for WOS, it gives them the chance to fire all their bullets and they have loads of ammunition.

[/quote]That qb-middle linebacker for Vidor is a game changer they have to keep the ball in his hands as much as possible  did a great job on defense too.

[quote name="77" post="1037476" timestamp="1313764673"]
[quote author=VPirate link=topic=86866.msg1037467#msg1037467 date=1313762675]

[/quote]That qb-middle linebacker for Vidor is a game changer they have to keep the ball in his hands as much as possible  did a great job on defense too.
[/quote]

You'll get no argument from me.  :)

The Mustangs Did Not Look All That Bad Running Out Of The I ,Just Alot Of Drop passages On 3rd And 4 Sure Need To Work On That 3rd And 4 Stuff. Vidor Is a Very Large Football Team And The QB Is There Key Kid, He Made Some Long Runs That Made The D Look Bad. Once The Mustangs Went To The Spred It Opened Up For The Mustangs Thats When There SPEED Kicked In.Vidor Will Be A Pain In Alot Of Teams Side This Year And I Am Hopeing The Best For The Kids There In Vidor. The Mustangs Did Have Some Key Players Get Hurt But Dont Know just How Bad. OK Now In Closeing (NO ) It Was Not The 2nd And 3rd Team In  That A Cop Out

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder