Should "Da' Butch" become "Da' Bubba?"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changing the name to Smith's name would be nice.  Whether or not they do it or even consider it really doesn't matter.  It is water under the bridge.  I won't lose any sleep over it.  all I care about is getting some wins in it.  Seems like those peope from the Suprise like to beat a dead horse to a pulp.

I agree that the life of Bubba Smith, who represented his hometown with grace and glory, should be recognized in some way.  However, this could be done by a number of entities, not just BISD.  The City of Beaumont, who through the efforts of Mr. Smith and other, benefited with the nickname "Pro Football Capitol of the World" could be called to recognize Bubba in some way.  Even the City of Orange, who few know was the birthplace of Bubba Smith, could make an effort to do so.

However, to rename the Carrol A. "Butch" Thomas Educational Support Center I think would be an inappropriate step.  This is not a situation where the district is changing the name of a stadium from a stadium generically named after a mascot or the district itself.  The district, one year after this honor was bestowed on this man, would be stripping it from him without cause to do so.   I see that as a slap in his face, which I find undeserved (admitting I am probably in the minority on that).  The academic record of the BISD under his leadership is a heck of a lot better than that of many other districts in the area.

I don't even claim to know Charles Aaron Smith or anybody close to him. However, from what I have read about the man, while he would be proud that his hometown would want to honor him, he would not want it to come in this fashion.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1032564" timestamp="1312829970"]
You know, I get to thinking.  All of the drama stuff could have been prevented from the begining had the name remained BISD multipurpose center.  There are actually people that are STILL losing sleep over something as stupid as a stadium's name.
[/quote]Things that make you go...'hmmmmm ???"

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed