How do you feel practicing in the HEAT of the afternoon & 2 X a day

I am a parent with concern with these boys having to practice when it is so HOT!!!! I think that they shouldn't practice until about 6:30 til 8:30 if they are going to practice in the evening time. They practice in the mornings already.... We are under a sever heat advisory now and they are going out there to practice..... Come On..  ???

I don't know of many that still do that. But, the ones I've heard of are keeping it pretty brief and the water breaks are frequent (every 10-15 min). People work in this stuff for hours a day. It can be done when the proper measures are taken.

Coaches are much smarter about hydration, etc. than in years past.

Is there reason for concern with the extreme heat? Sure.... But these coaches are well versed in what to do and how far they should push these kids....

Heat doesn't stop when you walk off the practice field either... I went to a NASCAR race in July, and saw three different people pass out from the heat.... I've seen people in grocery store parking lots, malls, etc, that pass out from the heat....

Hot or not, you still have to go on with things.... Coaches will look after these kids.... No worries Granny!!!!

Also, we need to make sure that these young men let someone know if they aren't feeling well so that they can get treatment because in this weather even the most diligent of precautions might not prevent a problem from happening.  They are not being sissies, they may be saving their own lives.

I did it for 4 years in High School and remember it well.  Not fondly, but well!  My dad coached for 25 years and he told me that the only problems he ever saw was with kids who had some ailment like a bad cold, stomach virus etc that tried to "gut it out".  If you are are not 100% you need to tell the coach, otherwise it should be fine.  Coaches are MUCH better informed now about hydration than many years ago when they handed out salt tablets and said "get tough" as you drank from a sprinkler head.

And I promise you, it is no hotter now than it was 20 years ago.  I hated the early morning practices more than the afternoon...having to lay down in the dewy grass to stretch was miserable, plus the no wind, high humidity mornings sucked the life out of you.  At BH we practiced right next to a rice field and the mosquitos were were worse than the heat!

I have to agree with hillguy on this one.  It's not any hotter today than is was 10, 20, 30 years ago.  95 is 95.  100 is 100.  The difference is that people, and this is people in general, do not go outside as much as they used to.  If you hydrate yourself and you are an "outside person" instead of a A/C hugger than your body will get acclimated to the heat.  The one's that normally have problems with the heat are the one's that stay in doors all summer and do not drink enough of the proper fluids.

[quote name="kville-granny2011" post="1030694" timestamp="1312314600"]
I am a parent with concern with these boys having to practice when it is so HOT!!!! I think that they shouldn't practice until about 6:30 til 8:30 if they are going to practice in the evening time. They practice in the mornings already.... We are under a sever heat advisory now and they are going out there to practice..... Come On..  ???
[/quote]

Give me a break...Hill guy is right here. Stay hydrated...they will be fine.

[quote name="no-look" post="1030877" timestamp="1312340129"]
Work two sessions in the morning before the heat gets bad.....didn't a Texas coach die Monday from the heat?
[/quote]

Yes, a coach in the Dallas area.  Heat was a contributing factor:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/prestonwood-christian-news/headlines/20110801-medical-examiner-heat-exposure-heart-disease-cause-prestonwood-assistant-coach_s-death.ece

[quote name="SportsPhotographer" post="1030936" timestamp="1312372187"]
That's sad about the coach passing. I know my lens couldn't take it the first day. It stopped working halfway thru the second practice. I have been taking pictures for years and I have never seen that happen. I took it home and put it in front of a fan, it works fine now, but it didn't like the heat.
[/quote]Your camera said forget that, HELP ME!

PNG will start their 2 a days at 6 am the 8th. Second practice I believe starts around 9:30 till 11ish. Yeah the heat is something else this week so far. I've had to employee's I had to sit down in the truck with A/C on and have em drink water and gatorade. After an hour they were better. I sent them home so not to cause a more severe problem later. Problem is that they drink to much soda and not enough water. Soda will dehydrate you very quickly. Drinks lots of H2O says the waterboy ! I agree with everyones statements. temps are still the same as when we all played back in the days. And I agree that alot of kids now days suck up to much A/C and play their games and watch one of the 700 channels on TV.

Remembering the days prior to 2 a-days we were picking cotton some days,hauling hay the next.Cotton pic n lasted 2 days as my sacks netted me $8.90.Papa Smesny said you pic n tommorrow and i said no sir I'm going back to haulin hay for 3 cents a bale.Point is we were acclamated to outside hot temps.Black eastgate gumbo dirt in a cotton patch was mucho caliente back in the glory days of PONG ;) 8) :D

Yes that is the problem these days when we were all younger we didnt have xbox or playstation we had to entertain ourselves outside in the heat so we were use to it during season. And also the coach that died coached at prestonwood. here is the story.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/prestonwood-christian-news/headlines/20110801-prestonwood-christian-assistant-football-coach-collapses-and-dies-after-practice.ece

[quote name="Rizon" post="1030832" timestamp="1312333107"]
[quote author=kville-granny2011 link=topic=86232.msg1030694#msg1030694 date=1312314600]
[/quote]

Give me a break...Hill guy is right here. Stay hydrated...they will be fine.
[/quote]

Two high school football players died in Georgia this week.  One definitely blamed on the heat. 

I run an air conditioning and electrical business and we have to be up in attics in this heat. It is common for it to be 140 degrees up there and more than a few people are out in the heat working hard right now,  some in FRCs that make you even hotter. You would be suprised what you can get use to as long as you pay attention to how your body is doing, take breaks and drink plenty of water. At least the coaches are more educated about things now. We would never have asked for a water breack back in the day. All it would have got you was a speach on weakness and a few air raids. They hate it now but they will remember making it through for the rest of their lives.

[quote name="dayton" post="1030698" timestamp="1312315163"]
I don't know of many that still do that. But, the ones I've heard of are keeping it pretty brief and the water breaks are frequent (every 10-15 min). People work in this stuff for hours a day. It can be done when the proper measures are taken.

Coaches are much smarter about hydration, etc. than in years past.
[/quote]

We're one of the schools that still do it, but coaches have been very cautious.  The first practice of the day starts aound 6:30 AM & our second practice starts at 5:00 PM.  That way we can avoid the heat of the day.

While I agree it's hot and was hot in the 60's we were all on grass.Even though you practice now after 5 pm just put a thermometer down on a art.turf field surrounded by a black track surface surrounded by a large set of alum.bleachers that's blocking the natural wind flow.Guarantee it's much hotter.Walked across the turf and could feel the heat through my purple tennis shoes ;)

[quote name="liltex" post="1031572" timestamp="1312489384"]
While I agree it's hot and was hot in the 60's we were all on grass.Even though you practice now after 5 pm just put a thermometer down on a art.turf field surrounded by a black track surface surrounded by a large set of alum.bleachers that's blocking the natural wind flow.Guarantee it's much hotter.Walked across the turf and could feel the heat through my purple tennis shoes ;)
[/quote]

We practice on real grass by the HS.  We've never used our actual stadium for practice.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami