WOS Expectations??

SO.....just thought maybe I would start a discussion on how everyone looks at the near future of WOS football. Ive noticed in other topics that some have dropped our "status" in the area due to our new coach. Just want a friendly conversation of what everyone thinks. This isnt a Homer thread, just curious. I will say this though, If anyone believes WOS will be down because of the Coach change, Im not so sure. Coach Thompson has basically been running the program for the last 20 years. Anyways, im looking forward to this season and to see some teams come alive, and the ones who havent, start to surprise people.

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1028351" timestamp="1311704883"]
I look for WO-S to be ranked #1 at some point in the season before the playoffs.
[/quote]

Pretty bold statement. What makes you think that?

[quote name="kicker" post="1028352" timestamp="1311705037"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=86028.msg1028351#msg1028351 date=1311704883]
I look for WO-S to be ranked #1 at some point in the season before the playoffs.
[/quote]

[/quote]Trust me, i know.  ;) and that's from a VERY strong source inside the WO-S organization (not Kerry  ;D). Let's just say i fully believe the players are ready to reek havoc this year.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="kicker" post="1028349" timestamp="1311704455"]
SO.....just thought maybe I would start a discussion on how everyone looks at the near future of WOS football. Ive noticed in other topics that some have dropped our "status" in the area due to our new coach. Just want a friendly conversation of what everyone thinks. This isnt a Homer thread, just curious. I will say this though, If anyone believes WOS will be down because of the Coach change, Im not so sure. Coach Thompson has basically been running the program for the last 20 years. Anyways, im looking forward to this season and to see some teams come alive, and the ones who havent, start to surprise people.
[/quote]

You can understand that I have Silsbee loyalties but that doesn't keep me from wishing Coach T and the Stangs a good season.  In my humble opinion I don't see where the coaching change will impair a thing at
WO-S.  I see it being business as usual and that is not good news for the rest of district 21 - 3A.

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1028353" timestamp="1311705313"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=86028.msg1028352#msg1028352 date=1311705037]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=86028.msg1028351#msg1028351 date=1311704883]
[/quote]

[/quote]Trust me, i know.  ;) and that's from a VERY strong source inside the WO-S organization (not Kerry  ;D). Let's just say i fully believe the players are ready to reek havoc this year.
[/quote]

This coming from a guy way out in Abilene. ::)

I think WOS will keep being successfull and think it was a great move moving the offense back to a more run oriented style to enhance that Chain Gang defense. This year, that is where the Mustang strength will be with 8 returning defensive starters. Play ball control and let that defense win the games for you.

I don't think they will be #1 before the regular season is done, but WOS will be a top 5 team.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1028372" timestamp="1311706840"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=86028.msg1028353#msg1028353 date=1311705313]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=86028.msg1028352#msg1028352 date=1311705037]
[/quote]

[/quote]Trust me, i know.  ;) and that's from a VERY strong source inside the WO-S organization (not Kerry  ;D). Let's just say i fully believe the players are ready to reek havoc this year.
[/quote]

[b]This coming from a guy way out in Abilene[/b]. ::)

I think WOS will keep being successfull and think it was a great move moving the offense back to a more run oriented style to enhance that Chain Gang defense. This year, that is where the Mustang strength will be with 8 returning defensive starters. Play ball control and let that defense win the games for you.

I don't think they will be #1 before the regular season is done, but WOS will be a top 5 team.
[/quote]I got some info from some of the.......(i'd have to turn your Tiger skin into a fur coat to tell you)

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1028446" timestamp="1311718491"]
Kicker, let them underestimate the 'Stangs.  The secret will be out exactly one month from now.
[/quote]i feel bad for Nederland come August. it'll be a close first half but WO-S got too much speed IMO for Nederland to handle in the end. I wanna see WO-S vs. Friendswood.

Guest ECBucFan
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, a certain "well known" WOS source confirms they have 27 returning starters on offense and 34 returning starters on defense, so they will be very hard to beat!  ;D ;D ;D    (J/K, weatherman!) 

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't be too surprised....  It was Scooter who made this prediction.  If they don't beat Friendswood, (which is early in the year... Should be a great game) they won't see a #1 ranking.  You usually have to be undefeated to be ranked #1. 

I have high hopes for WOS but it is a new offense and even though I expect them to do well I hope fans can be patient if they have to work out any kinks.

Thompson has played a huge role in the Mustangs past success but to say he ran the program for the last 20 years is a bit insulting to coach Hooks. JMO

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1028517" timestamp="1311731506"]
Derek Ledet and Larry Sonnier, among others, will make sure that the 'Stangs are well stocked at reciever.
[/quote]
Ledet is 6'3" w/good hands and the ability to go get the ball. Should have an outstanding year.

[quote name="mat" post="1028468" timestamp="1311724149"]
I have high hopes for WOS but it is a new offense and even though I expect them to do well I hope fans can be patient if they have to work out any kinks.

Thompson has played a huge role in the Mustangs past success but to say he ran the program for the last 20 years is a bit insulting to coach Hooks. JMO
[/quote]

No, no disrespect, Hooks was the leader, but that doesnt always mean he was running it. Like a President ordering a General to do a task. No disrespect. All the staff over the years had their role or nack. titles before names doesnt mean much at WOS. Anyone of us ex WOS players can understand what I meant.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1028499" timestamp="1311728959"]
WO-S will have a great season but still find a way to lose in 2nd round of playoffs
[/quote]

The last two seasons, turnovers were the biggest enemy in WO-S losing in the playoffs.  With less of the spread and more rushing, that might solve it.  We'll see.  Much respect goes to Coldspring from two years back...they were good and most people didn't know how good they were (going three rounds deep), but it was still a winnable game.  Last year, losing to Brookshire Royal was inexcusable.  They were a one-man team with the worst lack of discipline I've seen in years...the same team we manhandled the previous two years.  I still remember talking to the Athens coaches who scouted the game (they would've been WO-S next opponent).  They said, "We seriously considered not making the trip to scout ya'll.  We expected WO-S to run away with this one."  Ouch!

Onward and upward in 2011.   

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83