Need Opinions On Vidor Please!

Guest Pirate V Ball

Guest Pirate V Ball

How can a team be so inconsistant? We have good coaches, decent Athletes. What is is? Every year for the last million it seems like we'll win a big game or two then lose to a team we shouldn't lose to. It's not the fans!

they need to win a few games....bare with me on this one....you not going to get that need experience at the current level...to me it needs to start when you are much younger...i have heard that youth sports there is all about playing your coaches own kids...even when that kids will most likely never play HS by choice or becasue he isnt that good...those kids that do have a chance are usually put onto the back burner so to speak and never get to develop until JR high....some even get bored from not playing and quit....those examples happen in Lumberton as well....you start out with 80 or so kids in JR high and by Varsity time you have about 30 to 40...that is a huge loss...to me the kids need to play like Nederland, WOS, etc in a league like the STFL where they play different citties and its not structure on coaches kids

Vidor needs a program.. Your need kids seriously to be preparing from the time they are about 9. You can see that Vidor needs overall conditioning. They are not small, but they are not built for football. LCM on the other hand is... You could see a marked difference in the conditioning level of the LCM players in general. Big arms, lean, big calves, strong, quick. Dayton on the other hand was fairly small but they were in phenomenal condition. They are quick, lean and all of them are stout. Vidor plays with a ton of heart and desire, they just dont have that edge it takes to win under pressure. Part of that is a little luck, and then using it to get some experience to build on. I know you guys think the win over Nederland meant something, but it really did not. You caught the Dogs when they were/are down. I said this weeks ago and I stand by it.. I know Vidor wants to win, but they are going to have to commit at the level it takes to win starting at a much younger age,,, In my opinion for the plug nickel its worth. What has taken the successful teams to the next level is years of preparation and a very high level of commitment.

I understand... But you can see from the status quo of Vidor players that they STILL are not working hard enough, not intended to be an insult.. Vidor has the coaching and technique, they just cannot execute and thats about the mental game and flat out athleticism overall, not just the star players. They just dont quite have the size, quickness and they have not been able to make plays in clutch situations against teams that are playing at a high level.

We are suffering from the same thing ourselves. Micah is a monster but he is an island, especially with Chris out. There is a noticeable difference in the athletes size, speed and quickness this year overall. Not to mention a general lack of experience.

I did not see Vidor play this year but I have never been impressed with a team because there lines were massive.I think kids in 210-240lb. range with good upper body strength and quickness will win out.The last few years I think that has been case for West Brook also.Knowing some of those kids they are just not football players.

LC-M became better when a bunch of kids quit. I hate to say this, but that's a GOOD purging of the players that are holding you back. WO-S has only 24 or 25 players, but they ALL have HEART and DESIRE and believe in the program. If Vidor is going to turn around, you're going to have to piss some parents off and start figuring out who really wants and deserves to be there, both on a talent and heart level.

I understand... But you can see from the status quo of Vidor players that they STILL are not working hard enough' date=' not intended to be an insult.. Vidor has the coaching and technique, they just cannot execute and thats about the mental game and flat out athleticism overall, not just the star players. They just dont quite have the size, quickness and they have not been able to make plays in clutch situations against teams that are playing at a high level.

We are suffering from the same thing ourselves. Micah is a monster but he is an island, especially with Chris out. There is a noticeable difference in the athletes size, speed and quickness this year overall. Not to mention a general lack of experience.[/quote']

I guarantee you that the kids are working just as hard as everyone else. Size? We had one of the biggest lines in the district this year and have been pretty large for a few years. Quickness?? A few years back we had about 5 guys who ran a 40yrd in less than 4.5 seconds. Lastly you said unable to make plays in the clutch and I agree with you on that one. It seems like we are in the game the whole way until the end or we are out of the game the whole way until the end and then we try to make a comeback. I'm not sure if this is bad preparation or if it is just bad luck. The thing is Vidor does not have a winning tradition and have not built that attitude that "there is no way we are losing this game". It seems to me that Vidor plays not to lose the game instead of playing to win the game. Some people may be content with competing, but after a while it is time to get over the hump. In the famous words of Herm Edwards "You play to win the game!" and I think Vidor sometimes plays to not lose the game. Just my opinion.

yeah kinda like Coach Fran!! He plays not to lose instead of playing to win and then he ends up dropping one point loss at Kyle to OU and NEB... Get him out of there somebody!!!

Exactly. I do not like TAMU but it is the same there as it is here. It may not be the coaches fault either. Maybe the players are playing to conservatively and then when the game is at the end, they sell out and do all they can. I believe the pieces are in place here and if we change our midset a bit, we can do some pretty amazing things. The only game that we were not in this year was Dayton, all the rest were games we could have won. Tweak the mindset and great things can happen.

THE PROBLEM WITH VIDOR IS DISCIPLINE AND FOCUS. THEY HAVE ZERO DISCIPLINE AND IT HAS BEEN THAT WAY SINCE PAT MURPHY LEFT IN THE LATE 90'S. THOSE KIDS MAKE STUPID MISTAKES AND NO ADJUSTMENTS ARE EVER MADE. EVERYTIME THEY ARE IN THE REDZONE IT IS FUMBLES, PENALTIES, AND ERRANT TIMEOUTS BEING CALLED. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NEDERLAND AND VIDOR IS NOT PLAYERS, SIZE, SPEED, OR ANYTHING ELSE PEOPLE THROW OUT THERE. IT IS A SYSTEM AND A CONFIDENCE THAT NEDERLAND IS GOING TO BEAT THE TEAMS THAT THEY SHOULD BEAT. NEDERLAND WAS PROBABLY THE FIFTH BEST TEAM IN THAT DISTRICT BUT THEY ARE IN THE PLAY-OFFS BECAUSE THEY EXPECT TO BE THERE. THEY BEAT THE LUMBERTON'S, LCM'S, AND OZEN'S OF THE DISTRICT. LCM HAD THEM BEAT BUT GOOD TEAMS FIND A WAY TO WIN. THEY ASSUMED THEY WOULD WIN. VIDOR DOES NOT EXPECT TO WIN. THE COACHES DO NOT COACH TO WIN THEY COACH NOT TO LOSE. EVERY YEAR YOU HEAR THE VIDOR FAITHFUL TALKING ABOUT EVERY YEAR BEING THEIR YEAR. VIDOR HAS HAD SOME VERY TALENTED TEAMS OVER THE PAST FIVE YEARS. THEY HAVE HAD ONE PLAY-OFF APPEARANCE IN THAT TIME AND NEDERLAND TOOK THEM BEHIND THE SHED IN THAT ONE. THE OTHER YEARS WERE 5-5, 4-6. THE CRAZY THING IS PEOPLE ARE OK WITH 5-5 BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SO BAD. IF NEWMAN OR BURNET WERE TO GO 4-6, PEOPLE WOULD LOSE THEIR MINDS. IT COULD GET BETTER BUT IT WILL NOT....NOT CHANGING YOUR OFFENSE AND DEFENSE UP EVERY TWO YEARS.

Sometimes its not the coach but the SCHOOL thats to blame. I know that Vidor has the athletes and I know Jeff is a good FB coach. Maybe its the school that won't allow him to coach his team the way he wants. I am not from Vidor so I don't know the situation. But I do know that administrators and school board members can be a problem for any coach.......... Where's Piratefan ?

LC-M became better when a bunch of kids quit. I hate to say this' date=' but that's a GOOD purging of the players that are holding you back. WO-S has only 24 or 25 players, but they ALL have HEART and DESIRE and believe in the program. If Vidor is going to turn around, you're going to have to piss some parents off and start figuring out who really wants and deserves to be there, both on a talent and heart level.[/quote']

WELL SAID ! That goes for any school that REALLY wants to win !

THE PROBLEM WITH VIDOR IS DISCIPLINE AND FOCUS. THEY HAVE ZERO DISCIPLINE AND IT HAS BEEN THAT WAY SINCE PAT MURPHY LEFT IN THE LATE 90'S. THOSE KIDS MAKE STUPID MISTAKES AND NO ADJUSTMENTS ARE EVER MADE. EVERYTIME THEY ARE IN THE REDZONE IT IS FUMBLES' date=' PENALTIES, AND ERRANT TIMEOUTS BEING CALLED. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NEDERLAND AND VIDOR IS NOT PLAYERS, SIZE, SPEED, OR ANYTHING ELSE PEOPLE THROW OUT THERE. IT IS A SYSTEM AND A CONFIDENCE THAT NEDERLAND IS GOING TO BEAT THE TEAMS THAT THEY SHOULD BEAT. NEDERLAND WAS PROBABLY THE FIFTH BEST TEAM IN THAT DISTRICT BUT THEY ARE IN THE PLAY-OFFS BECAUSE THEY EXPECT TO BE THERE. THEY BEAT THE LUMBERTON'S, LCM'S, AND OZEN'S OF THE DISTRICT. LCM HAD THEM BEAT BUT GOOD TEAMS FIND A WAY TO WIN. THEY ASSUMED THEY WOULD WIN. VIDOR DOES NOT EXPECT TO WIN. THE COACHES DO NOT COACH TO WIN THEY COACH NOT TO LOSE. EVERY YEAR YOU HEAR THE VIDOR FAITHFUL TALKING ABOUT EVERY YEAR BEING THEIR YEAR. VIDOR HAS HAD SOME VERY TALENTED TEAMS OVER THE PAST FIVE YEARS. THEY HAVE HAD ONE PLAY-OFF APPEARANCE IN THAT TIME AND NEDERLAND TOOK THEM BEHIND THE SHED IN THAT ONE. THE OTHER YEARS WERE 5-5, 4-6. THE CRAZY THING IS PEOPLE ARE OK WITH 5-5 BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SO BAD. IF NEWMAN OR BURNET WERE TO GO 4-6, PEOPLE WOULD LOSE THEIR MINDS. IT COULD GET BETTER BUT IT WILL NOT....NOT CHANGING YOUR OFFENSE AND DEFENSE UP EVERY TWO YEARS.[/quote']thats about as close to the correct statement I have read so far.. i played under Pat Murphy and this is as close to the truth as I know it..all the other bullcrap is wrong..this guy apparently has been around Vidor football for awhile..

Guest Pirate V Ball

LOL check out my sig' date=' you like it?? :D

Maybe you can have one of those too, if you quit crowing about one game and realize there is a whole season to play.[/quote'] We beat Nederland! How do you like that?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami