Is WO-S football going to the I-formation the right move?

This guy mentioned that WOS didn't have the size in the Oline to run the I like Katy does, but least he forget WOS ain't playin Katy in week 3 of the playoffs! They are playing like 3A programs who also don't have a huge D-Line.

Cornell is going to hang his and the WOS hats once again on the Chain Gang. Ball control offense with a rested defense that will make plays! Hard to argue that it won't bring WOS a State Title at some point since the spread hasn't gotten them very far either!!!

I'm not going to try and second guess coach T.We have gone to the I on and off in the past and did pretty well with it.I'm sure the coaches will tweek it to take advantage of our speed.I don't see them abanding the spread altogather.

[quote name="I dont play well with Jaguars" post="1019027" timestamp="1308329506"]
[quote author=BMTJags link=topic=84986.msg1019014#msg1019014 date=1308323754]
Jags, take notes. 
[/quote]they will take notes, after that first butt-whoopin yall will receive from Memorial.  ;) gonna be alotta notes being taken by the Jags.
[/quote] ::) ::)

Yep.  WO-S can beat any team around here with the spread but they've been losing to schools that run right at them.  This isn't anything new.  When they would play Ozen, the times they would lose is when Ozen ran right at them.  Better to take a 8 yard gain going straight, than to take a 3 yard loss going wide.  Besides, practicing against the I makes you tougher defensively.  So when they meet a Coldspring or a Kirbyville, they are more solid up the middle of the defense

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1018978" timestamp="1308313253"]
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Take-2-Is-WO-S-football-going-to-the-1427665.php#ixzz1PXFI1FB2

[/quote]

We'll find out this season if it's the right move or not. ........I have a lot of respect for coach T, he was around back when I went to WO and I'm not gonna tell ya how many years ago that was...lol

[quote name="SFA85" post="1019060" timestamp="1308334688"]
Yep.  WO-S can beat any team around here with the spread but they've been losing to schools that run right at them.  This isn't anything new.  When they would play Ozen, the times they would lose is when Ozen ran right at them.  Better to take a 8 yard gain going straight, than to take a 3 yard loss going wide.  Besides, practicing against the I makes you tougher defensively.  So when they meet a Coldspring or a Kirbyville, they are more solid up the middle of the defense
[/quote]I sure hope a certain coach down in P.A. is reading this post.  ;) Titans need to get in some of that I-Formation with that HOSS Holmes running the peel.

Imma talk to one of the WO-S players this evening and see how he feels about it.

This guy Jared Ainsworth...how does he know that WO-S will run an I-formation set?  Has he spoken directly to Cornel about this?  Just because someone is a "reporter" doesn't make it fact. 

I saw a TV interview with Cornel where he said (paraphrasing) that we will "run the ball a [i][u]little more[/u][/i]"...and...that WO-S "has spread athletes now, so we'll still run it".  If you put the two together, and knowing Cornel's traditional thinking and tendencies, I conclude WO-S will simply implement a higher percentage of running plays within a spread (or something similar) type of offense.  Maybe ocassionally they'll line up in the I.  This combination will still take advantage of our speed while also use more time on the clock and keep his defense fresh. 

I just don't see the Mustangs switching wholesale to an I-formation. 

[quote name="I dont play well with Jaguars" post="1019275" timestamp="1308409306"]
Shared a couple of messages with a player from WO-S. Let's just say the confidence is very VERY high. [b]I wouldnt be surprised if WO-S is #1 by end of the season.  ;)[/b][/quote]

I second that statement.

I think that any great coach recognizes what offensive plays and/or schemes work best with the athletes that he has. Coach Thompson has been in this business for a long time, and if he does change the offense, it's because he thinks it will suit the players he has the best.

I think a change is in order.  While they have had some success in district, they haven't been the offensive juggernaut they could have been with the offensive skill players that have come through the program the last several years.  I trust Coach T to make the right decision.  I am sure WOS will be in the spread some....

[quote name="NDN79" post="1019332" timestamp="1308433927"]
I think that any great coach recognizes what offensive plays and/or schemes work best with the athletes that he has. Coach Thompson has been in this business for a long time, and if he does change the offense, it's because he thinks it will suit the players he has the best.
[/quote]

Completely agree.  Sometimes coaches will impose a system on a team regardless of whether they have the personnel to run it successfully or not  (WO-S made that mistake in 2001).  I trust Coach Thompson NOT to do that.  Our returning QB (Salter) is better suited for a rushing style offense as opposed to the spread.  Plus, I can see the Mustangs running the spread part-time and make it all work.  

What I have seen over the last few years is a Mustang offense that could move the ball up and down the field, but would, at times, have trouble punching it in.  I think Coach Thompson recognized that as well and went to an offense that gives him a tight end and a full back to help punch a few more holes down in the red zone

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1019451" timestamp="1308494093"]
What I have seen over the last few years is a Mustang offense that could move the ball up and down the field, but would, at times, have trouble punching it in.  I think Coach Thompson recognized that as well and went to an offense that gives him a tight end and a full back to help punch a few more holes down in the red zone
[/quote]
BINGO.  I suspect you will still see some spread, but beefing up the middle and punching it down your throat regularly and using a little clock will be a winning combo.

[quote name="griff" post="1019442" timestamp="1308489607"]
[quote author=NDN79 link=topic=84986.msg1019332#msg1019332 date=1308433927]
[/quote]

Completely agree.  Sometimes coaches will impose a system on a team regardless of whether they have the personnel to run it successfully or not  (WO-S made that mistake in 2001).  I trust Coach Thompson NOT to do that.  Our returning QB (Salter) is better suited for a rushing style offense as opposed to the spread.  Plus, I can see the Mustangs running the spread part-time and make it all work.  
[/quote]

Griff, from what I hear, there will be a bunch, maybe 100%, "I". I think our line is going to be much bigger this year and will be boasting the state power lifting champ. This might be the reason for the change. I don't think anyone knows better than Cornel what kind of athletes we have so I have faith that whatever offense we're in it's the best one for the team.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1020631" timestamp="1308953815"]
[quote author=griff link=topic=84986.msg1019442#msg1019442 date=1308489607]
[quote author=NDN79 link=topic=84986.msg1019332#msg1019332 date=1308433927]
[/quote]

Completely agree.  Sometimes coaches will impose a system on a team regardless of whether they have the personnel to run it successfully or not  (WO-S made that mistake in 2001).  I trust Coach Thompson NOT to do that.  Our returning QB (Salter) is better suited for a rushing style offense as opposed to the spread.  Plus, I can see the Mustangs running the spread part-time and make it all work. 
[/quote]

Griff, from what I hear, there will be a bunch, maybe 100%, "I". I think our line is going to be much bigger this year and will be boasting the state power lifting champ. This might be the reason for the change. I don't think anyone knows better than Cornel what kind of athletes we have so I have faith that whatever offense we're in it's the best one for the team.
[/quote]

The 2000 offense wasn't flashy but we hung our hat on defense and field position.  I think (not worth much) that since we got our rear handed to us by Ennis in the championship game, our focus had been on a high powered offense rather than the basics.  I think if WOS gets back to defense first, and a ground focused offesne with the ability to throw the ball....it is a recipe for success.  The game is shortened, the D isn't on the field as much; which leads to field position and points on the board.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder