'Sour Taste' For Brenham

Article in the chronicle....

ROUND ROCK — Drake Roberts had grown attached to the winning culture at Brenham.

Coming off last year’s Class 4A state championship victory, the senior infielder — who was drafted by the Minnesota Twins in the 49th round of the Major League Baseball draft on Wednesday — was aching to adorn the Cubs’ trophy case with more hardware.

But that program pride made Thursday afternoon’s loss to Wichita Falls Rider more painful. In a rematch of last year’s Class 4A semifinals, the Cubs’ offense could muster only three hits against Rider pitcher Cameron Allen in a 3-1 loss.

“Leaving like this isn’t right,” Roberts said. “This is not how you’re supposed leave Brenham High School, especially after the roll we’ve been on during the last few years. It’s really tough leaving here with this sour taste in my mouth.”

Just one year ago, Roberts and his teammates squeezed past Rider in a 3-2 extra-inning tussle to advance to the state title. In the process, the Cubs handed Allen his only loss of the 2010 season.

During this rematch, Allen stymied Brenham’s lineup at Dell Diamond, fanning 12 batters in a three-hitshutout.

“(Allen) had great command of that slider and curveball,” Brenham coach Jim Long said. “He could throw it at any time. He’s a great pitcher, and he was a great pitcher last year, so he deserves all the credit in the world.”

To his credit, Brenham starter Ty Schlottman — who also started last year’s semifinal game — overpowered the Raiders, surrendering only five hits and two earned runs in the outing.

Although his miscues were at a minimum, the Raiders capitalized when it counted. In the first inning, Raiders infielder Christien Sager hit a single to left field to drive in Allen. Blake Brom added a run in the fifth by blasting a solo homer.

Visibly frustrated by the deficit and calls from the umpire, the Cubs failed to support Schlottman with the necessary runs. Their only score came in the seventh on Corey Bentke’s RBI groundout to first.

“It always helps to have more run support, but sometimes the bats aren’t there,” Schlottman said. “Any loss is tough to swallow, but especially at this step.”

Despite the loss to Rider (38-7), Brenham (36-8-1) secured a spot in the record books by making its 16th overall appearance in the state tournament. For Roberts, that doesn’t ease the pain.

“This is the hardest thing I’ve had to swallow,” Roberts said. “We didn’t come out ready like we should have.”

[quote name="Old61Eagle" post="1017703" timestamp="1307733688"]
I hope that none of the Rider players made fun of the Brenham players for their disappointment in this loss.
[/quote]

Not that could tell or know of.  Rider was just excited to knock off the #1 team and advance further than they ever have.  They deserved to win.  Their pitching was great, and we couldn't hit.  The problem they might have today, is finding somebody to pitch.  I doubt they have anybody else that will pitch as good as that Allen kid did.  He was phenomenal!  The good news for Rider is, that Callallen just played a 10 inning game last night, and used their 2 best pitchers.

With 8 returning starters, its easy to understand why they are where they are.

Great season for a great program. I know how Drake and the others must feel - but the fact that Brenham just keeps making those State appearances is very very impressive. I know they had their eyes on the big prize so nothing we can say will diminish that pain. Our guys had their eye on facing Brenham again and fell short, we know how the Cubs are feeling right now. Good luck!

[quote name="fwstangs" post="1017721" timestamp="1307739158"]
Great season for a great program. I know how Drake and the others must feel - but the fact that Brenham just keeps making those State appearances is very very impressive. I know they had their eyes on the big prize so nothing we can say will diminish that pain. Our guys had their eye on facing Brenham again and fell short, we know how the Cubs are feeling right now. Good luck!
[/quote]

Thanks, and maybe Brenham & Friendswood will meet up next year.  Good luck, to your son and whatever he decides to do.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124