• Largemouth Bass
    • Smallmouth Bass
    • Catfish
    • Crappie
    • Bream
    • Other

Best Fish To Fish For?

Define "best".

Are you talking quantity, table fare, easy of catching, etc?

Largemouth is the most popular if you are talking about money spent in pursuit of. Smallmouth, while it might be fun catching them, is almost non-existent in the deep south.

Catfish is hardly a gamefish at all but maybe the most tasty in some people's opinion. They are more the type of fish that you catch more on a trotline than chase on rod and reel, although that can be fun also. People catfish when they are looking for food whereas bass fishing is more of a sport, almost like hunting. Catfish are good in that people normally don't have $40,000 catfish boats like they do for bass fishing. A guy with a cane pole can go down to a local canal and have a good chance at some cats. Try that with bass fishing......

Crappie Is likely second to bass in terms of popularity in both catching and eating. At the right times of the year, it can also be a more "relaxing" type of fishing more suited for a family doing something together rather than pounding a cove hour after hour looking for that elusive largemouth. Party boats are a good way to go crappie fishing, especially with a group of people. Try getting 3 or more people in a boat slinging lures in every direction every few seconds looking for largemouth. Talk about a sure recipe for disaster.

Bream is usually the easiest to catch and pound for pound (or more likely, ounce for ounce) the strongest fish out there. The problem with bream is their diminutive size. When matched with the right tackle (especially flyrod), they can be excellent fun and it is easy for kids to learn to fish for them. In freshwater, nothing is better to teach a child to fish for than bream. They can usually get the immediate success needed to keep a child's attention and it normally doesn't take a lot of skill to master. Bring a 5 year old bass fishing for his first trip and you might put him off from fishing for the rest of his life.

Best sportfish-Largemouth

Ease of catching (and thereby most fun?)-Bream

Best food quantity-Catfish

Best for family outing-Crappie

Largemouth Bass. There is no sweeter fishing than being on the lake in the Spring and fishing with top water lures. When a monster fish hits your line and the fight is on it's, well, thrilling to say the least!

Of course that's just my own personal opinion. :wink:

Largemouth Bass. There is no sweeter fishing than being on the lake in the Spring and fishing with top water lures. When a monster fish hits your line and the fight is on it's' date=' well, thrilling to say the least!

Of course that's just my own personal opinion. :wink:[/quote']

And better if the top water is a fly.

Guest LRaiser7

If yall think catching a largemouth bass is fun....you should try going off shore and catching a ling or a king mackreal..there is nothin more fun than catching one of those..

Welll I'de have to say the best fish' date=' pound for pound, for fighting would have to be a redfish (30" plus). Can't beat that. Oh, And it's awesome grilled.[/quote']

A red will give a good tug of war for a short time but they are hardly the best fighting fish. They are just big. You can beat them with a decent size bass rod. There are other fish out there the same size that will strip a bass rod in a couple of seconds and you won't even slow them down... and yes, reds can be awesome grilled.

Best tasting - Crappie and Ling and triple tail

Most fun to catch Ling

I fish offshore alot, and as far as saltwater, the most FUN to catch for me would have to be a sizeable Dolphin (dorado). They make several jumps out of the water, are beautiful, and to top it off, taste PHENOMINAL!

I catch alot of specs and reds too ( went today in fact and caught both), but nothing comes close to the Mahi-Mahi, in my book.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

King Mackrel will pull you off the boat if you ain't ready.  Why do you think they call it KINGFISH !

Kings make a couple of good runs and they can sure strip some line fast. They seem to wear out fairly quickly after a couple of fast runs. They don't nearly keep up with the fight like an amberjack or tuna.

It is the same with Spanish Mackeral. On light line they are great fun but they are hardly great fighting fish. Take some 6 or 8 pound test on a spinning rod and it is fun to listen to your line hiss through the water. They don't fight for long  but  they sure run fast.

Kings make a couple of good runs and they can sure strip some line fast. They seem to wear out fairly quickly after a couple of fast runs. They don't nearly keep up with the fight like an amberjack or tuna.

It is the same with Spanish Mackeral. On light line they are great fun but they are hardly great fighting fish. Take some 6 or 8 pound test on a spinning rod and it is fun to listen to your line hiss through the water. They don't fight for long  but  they sure run fast.

Well I never go offshore, maybe you can take me so I can catch a tuna..............heck, we might agree on something. But I do wonder why the Kingfish tournaments are so big if they are not great fighters ?

Well I never go offshore, maybe you can take me so I can catch a tuna..............heck, we might agree on something. But I do wonder why the Kingfish tournaments are so big if they are not great fighters ?

It is easy to catch a lot of them and they are closer inshore which makes for an interesting tournament. I used to go down by Corpus Christi and fish and people would fish for them in bass boats a short distance offshore.

I got second place once down there in the Port Aransas Deep Sea Roundup on a big Spanish Mackeral. I was fishing for kings but hooked up the smaller mackeral. You can usually pick them and kings up near the first or second grass lines.

I think this year will be the 73rd year for the Deep Sea Roundup. I would guess that it is the oldest fishing tournament on the coast.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder