Schools drop in state funding

Would you pay more school taxes to make up the difference in the schools loss of $  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay more school taxes to make up the difference in the schools loss of $

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on how much

[quote name="stevenash" post="980294" timestamp="1299721139"]
Hate for that to happen but dont believe raising taxes is the answer.  If they make cuts, they need to look where there might be too many administrative positions before considering teachers
[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head.  Almost every district in this area is extremely top-heavy.  There is a lot of duplication of duties and jobs can be consolidated without any impact on the students.  You can hire almost three new teachers for what is paid to one average administrator.

You could also say that almost every school district around here provides a quality education for about $7.50 an hour per student per year....that is what a lot of people do not understand. Top heavy, maybe. There are not many situations where you have someone sitting at a desk with nothing to do. They split up duties so each can focus more on the task at hand. I promise you it is not what you think. I do not work for ANY of the schools either, I have researched this for a while though.

[quote name="mckinney" post="981331" timestamp="1299878151"]
What happened to the Texas lottery funding the schools?   >:( :o Where has that money gone to?  Legislature always get the community to vote on one thing and once it his the floor, funds are redirected....poor kids....cutting out Pre K...come on...
[/quote] You need to look at your Rep. Governer Rick Perry. He has never worked a job a day in his life yet he is now worth a Million Dollars. Just like the Superintendent in Beaumont. How many Teachers could be payed with his salary??

I hope they get this budget stuff lined out because alot of our kids have chosen to be teachers and coaches.It would be a shame for these kids to have to change career choices because of irresponsible spending at the state level.The cosolidation of the small school districts may become a reality before this is over.

Here's what I'm hearing about the lottery funding education ...
Basically, it's all BS ...
All the money brought in by the Texas lottery indeed goes to education ...
Let's say $50 million was provided to education by the lottery.
Now originally, education had a budget from general funds of $100 million.
So you add $100 million and $50 million and you get $150 million ... right??
Nope.
Now they only contribute $50 million from the general fund instead of $100 million.
That of course means that in the end, education still has its original $100 million ...
A little political switcheroo there for ya ...
Raise your hand if you're surprised ...

[quote name="True Blue" post="981352" timestamp="1299880633"]
[quote author=mckinney link=topic=81505.msg981331#msg981331 date=1299878151]
What happened to the Texas lottery funding the schools?   >:( :o Where has that money gone to?  Legislature always get the community to vote on one thing and once it his the floor, funds are redirected....poor kids....cutting out Pre K...come on...
[/quote] You need to look at your Rep. Governer Rick Perry. He has never worked a job a day in his life yet he is now worth a Million Dollars. Just like the Superintendent in Beaumont. [b]How many Teachers could be payed with his salary??[/b]
[/quote]
Rick Perry's salary is $150k per year.  So if you' re talking about him, the answer to your question is about three.  If you're talking about Carrol Thomas ($360k per year), the answer is about seven.

While I don't agree with BISD hardly ever.... consider this... 3 high schools... lots of jr. highs and elementary schools...  If you took the Superintend/ admin. salaries from evadale, buna, kountze, hj, east chambers, h-f, wos and orangefield.... (about the same number of kids) .... you can see where I'm going with this....

I can definitely see some consolidation coming in the near future with some of the smaller districts around the state....

[quote name="True Blue" post="981352" timestamp="1299880633"]
[/quote] You need to look at your Rep. Governer Rick Perry. He has never worked a job a day in his life yet he is now worth a Million Dollars. Just like the Superintendent in Beaumont. How many Teachers could be payed with his salary??
[/quote]Hmmmm...... Was Rick Perry poor when he got into office and then became rich?  Or was he rich long before he became governor.  I'm not sure I'd put him in the same category as Butch.

[quote name="gdickert" post="981650" timestamp="1299904537"]
Here's what I'm hearing about the lottery funding education ...
Basically, it's all BS ...
All the money brought in by the Texas lottery indeed goes to education ...
Let's say $50 million was provided to education by the lottery.
Now originally, education had a budget from general funds of $100 million.
So you add $100 million and $50 million and you get $150 million ... right??
Nope.
Now they only contribute $50 million from the general fund instead of $100 million.
That of course means that in the end, education still has its original $100 million ...
A little political switcheroo there for ya ...
Raise your hand if you're surprised ...
[/quote]This is EXACTLY the way its been done and it is dis-honest for politicians to claim that the lottery is going to education.

What the politicians should say is, "the lottery pays for education so that other monies originally ear-marked for education can pay for something else."

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="981720" timestamp="1299936504"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=81505.msg981352#msg981352 date=1299880633]
[/quote]Hmmmm...... Was Rick Perry poor when he got into office and then became rich?  Or was he rich long before he became governor.  I'm not sure I'd put him in the same category as Butch.
[/quote]Perry was not rich, before taking office. And he only makes 150,000 a year. He has been in office 8 years. How do you think he made a Million dollars ??? ???

I'm not a politician by any stretch but to say a governor has never worked a day in his life would be a stretch.There are several different definitions of work.While an honest days work never hurt anyone I don't think I'd want a governor who ran the state in his spare time.

[quote name="samsung" post="981835" timestamp="1299947740"]
Rick Perry was a pilot in the US Air Force in the 70's.  In my book, that's working.
[/quote] He flew a cargo plan. That is like saying a truck driver  is a race car driver..," Perry said. "That is a local decision that will be made at the local districts."

Of course, it's a local decision to lay off teachers. But what the governor didn't mention was that those local decisions are being made thanks to the state budget plan to short schools $9 billion to $10 billion in state aid. If the state coughed up the money, the schools wouldn't be laying all of these teachers

This is nothing new in the education arena.The state has mandated what the schools will be required to do for years without having to supply the money.In some cases the wealthy districts could survive while the poorer districts have to make tough cuts.When you set behind that desk and have to make RIF cuts it's an extremely tough decision.One that I hope to never have to make again.It will make some of the districts with sattelite schools be more responsible with their spending.

The question is not about Perry or other poiticans. I am sure some would ask True Blue would be, "have you ever WORKED a day in your life?" I am sure some around you would say, "no". What's the point then? So, anyone can take anyone else's salary times the number of years worked and total a hefty sum. So? One could say the same to True Blue too. So.
The point is, the local districts are in trouble by their own hands and by the state misusing funds. Now what do we do about it? That's the point.

[quote name="nuthinbutnet" post="982278" timestamp="1300050113"]
The question is not about Perry or other poiticans. I am sure some would ask True Blue would be, "have you ever WORKED a day in your life?" I am sure some around you would say, "no". What's the point then? So, anyone can take anyone else's salary times the number of years worked and total a hefty sum. So? One could say the same to True Blue too. So.
[color=red]The point is, the local districts are in trouble by their own hands and by the state misusing funds. Now what do we do about it? That's the point.[/color][/quote] How do you find that the local districts or in trouble by their hands, when the State, and  YOUR REP. Prick Perry is taking money from them and giving it to other dist. that did miss spend their money. But as for  me working for a living , I  worked for a paycheck starting at 14 and have done that for 34 years now. And not one time did my job involde thinking of ways to give my rich friends tax cuts while thing of other ways to [size=18pt]spend[/size] other, working class fokes taxes.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder