Why did West Orange back out on Dayton?

[quote name="morethanyouknow" post="979013" timestamp="1299516355"]
Actually it is not more than I know.  I knew that was the excuse given, but I also know that he backed out on a commitment that he had made with Dayton.  If they wanted so much to renew this rivalry then they should have waited one more year and put it on the schedule for a regular season game so they can charge and have a big gate. 

Jack - I do live around Dayton but have ties to many programs in the area due to job.  Thanks for asking.

[/quote]

So much for being a fan of Coach Hooks.

I am, that is why it was so shocking that he made the decision to do this.  Not something that I would expect from Coach Hooks, especially with the years that these two teams have gone against one another.

Spring should be a good test for Dayton, that will give them 3 5A's to get them ready for the season.

LC-M will be a good test for WO-S as well.  With some of LCM's better players coming from West Orange it should be a fun match up.

[quote name="westend1" post="979060" timestamp="1299519600"]
I heard Hooks was trying to upgrade his schedule to get him ready for a long playoff run, so he had to dump dayton.         ;D
[/quote]

key words "long playoff run" cant do that when your all smashed up ;)

Trust me, Coach hooks and staff are afraid of NO ONE! And he is the last person that would make an excuse. As a matter of fact, excuses are not permitted within the WOS football family. It makes absolute sense to schedule LCM over Dayton. LCM is 5 miles from WOS and if they charged a gate at scrimmages, it would probably surpass a Dayton/WOS regular game. Nothing against Dayton, im a fan of their program, but LCM/WOS is like Dayton/Barbers Hill/Crosby. Its a very anticipated matchup scrimmage or not. not sure how much, but I bet that saved Dayton quite a few dollars they could spend on equipment, etc. I have no knowlege of the fact except for what i have read here, but it seems like Daytons head coach was totally for it. For outsiders here is a fact for you. When you are Dayton or WOS, it is very hard to find preseason opponents. noone wants to play against either team. They dont want an automatic loss before the season starts, so you take what you can get. I remember the last alignment, at the meeting, Coach Hooks and Thompson were trying to find preseason opponents. No one would take them up on their offer. They couldnt find anyone that would play them. So thats why we had to play Friendswood last year (the number 2 or 3 team in 4A in the state at the time) Did coach Hooks want to play them? probably not. Who wants to play a school that has 3 times the enrollment you do? But being that WOS backs down from no one, we played....and should have won. We beat them up and down the field all night just made to many mistakes. When your playing a state champion caliber team, you have to play your A game. 8)

Guest octfeb
[quote name="BRONX ROX" post="979067" timestamp="1299521207"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=81326.msg979060#msg979060 date=1299519600]
I heard Hooks was trying to upgrade his schedule to get him ready for a long playoff run, so he had to dump dayton.         ;D
[/quote]

key words "long playoff run" cant do that when your all smashed up ;)
[/quote][b]key words "long playoff run" cant do that when your all smashed up ;)[/b]<----- Oh great comeback thats was LOL funny

[quote name="morethanyouknow" post="979013" timestamp="1299516355"]
Actually it is not more than I know.  I knew that was the excuse given, but I also know that he backed out on a commitment that he had made with Dayton.  If they wanted so much to renew this rivalry then they should have waited one more year and put it on the schedule for a regular season game so they can charge and have a big gate. 

Jack - I do live around Dayton but have ties to many programs in the area due to job.  Thanks for asking.
[/quote]

It turns out that this whole situation IS more than you know.  You see, Coach Crouch (from LCM) made the decision to drop WO-S from the [u]regular[/u] season schedule, therefore, the only way for WO-S to renew playing LCM is to make a scrimmage.  The WO-S coaches enjoy the Dayton matchup, but playing LCM is more attractive.  It's a game with local rivalry, community support, short travel for both teams, strong gate receipts and concessions.  Besides, dropping a scrimmage is no big deal.  If this was a regular season game, then your gripe would've been more credible.  It's only March and there's plenty of time for Dayton to find a new opponent...for a [u]scrimmage[/u].  Your use of "excuse given" and "backing out" is silly.  I'm sure WO-S will eventually restart an annual meeting with Dayton, but the chance to lock horns with LCM again was something the WO-S coaches didn't want to miss.   

Lawd it's only a scrimmage but in recent years there were 10 times more Bronco fans attending this practice game.Last scimmage you could put all the Stang fans in 1 school bus.It was a good glorified practice for a few years and had no bearing,carried no weight but was hard hitting and entertaining ;)

[quote name="dayton" post="980471" timestamp="1299772358"]
I heard Hooks was trying to upgrade his schedule to get him ready for a long playoff run, so he had to dump dayton.         ;D
[/quote]
jerk! :D
[/quote]I don't know why, but that signature of your cracks me up every time I read it.  And I know you've been having that for quite a few months now.  :D :D :o :o :D :D ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="980591" timestamp="1299777748"]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=81326.msg980471#msg980471 date=1299772358]
I heard Hooks was trying to upgrade his schedule to get him ready for a long playoff run, so he had to dump dayton.         ;D
[/quote]
jerk! :D
[/quote]I don't know why, but that signature of your cracks me up every time I read it.  And I know you've been having that for quite a few months now.   :D :D :o :o :D :D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

one of the funniest posts i've ever read on any board... it was in the middle of his game updating. I cried the first time I read it.

[quote name="BRONX ROX" post="978668" timestamp="1299431574"]
[quote author=beechnut link=topic=81326.msg978666#msg978666 date=1299431421]
It may have someting to do wit travel with all the cuts coming. No telling what the skewl sports are going to look like next year.
[/quote]
TRUE DAT................. Did hear that HUM / KP might fill the spot.
[/quote]

Would love for Humble to fill in the spot, but we do have three scrimmages already scheduled.  Would love to get rid of Milby and Wheatley (a pointless scrimmage).

what i am hearing we have filled our spot with the 1st and 3rd scrimmage being disposable if we can find suitable replacements

Week 1:  Wheatley
Week 2:  IKE- Rumored (heard this from my neighbor, who's son plays for Humble)
Week 3: Milby.

Id love to see a Humble-Dayton Scrimmage where Milby or Wheatley currently is.   Livingston backed out of the scrimmage last year where Ike is rumored to sit now.

[quote name="HUM398" post="980860" timestamp="1299796221"]
[quote author=BRONX ROX link=topic=81326.msg978668#msg978668 date=1299431574]
[quote author=beechnut link=topic=81326.msg978666#msg978666 date=1299431421]
It may have someting to do wit travel with all the cuts coming. No telling what the skewl sports are going to look like next year.
[/quote]
TRUE DAT................. Did hear that HUM / KP might fill the spot.
[/quote]

Would love for Humble to fill in the spot, but we do have three scrimmages already scheduled.  Would love to get rid of Milby and Wheatley (a pointless scrimmage).

what i am hearing we have filled our spot with the 1st and 3rd scrimmage being disposable if we can find suitable replacements

Week 1:  Wheatley
Week 2:  IKE- Rumored (heard this from my neighbor, who's son plays for Humble)
Week 3: Milby.

Id love to see a Humble-Dayton Scrimmage where Milby or Wheatley currently is.   Livingston backed out of the scrimmage last year where Ike is rumored to sit now.
[/quote]The Humble-Dayton scrimmage would be good. All purple, would be interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If memory serves me correctly and I am sure it does, two years ago it was Dayton who did not want to schedule WOS in a game setting anymore and would only agree to a scrimmage.  Might have something to do with the fact that Dayton never beat WOS in a game.  So I am having a hard time believing that WOS really backed out be cause they were scared or something.  More than likely it was just a scrimmage so why not play someone a little closer to home.  Just saying!

Let me set this straight, Dan Hooks is not scared of Dayton and neither Jerry Stewart nor Joel Hancock are scared of West Orange-Stark.  

All of this (here anyway) started with some person by the name of "morethanyouknow" whose name should really be "lessthanIthink" who with his very first post on this message board spread some misinformation as to why West Orange-Stark decided not to scrimmage Dayton next year in an attempt to make it sound like WO-S didn't want to scrimmage out of fear of Dayton.  His myths were quickly debunked and should no longer hold weight.

By the same token, I know that Dayton's decision to no longer play West Orange-Stark in the regular season is by no means motivated by fear.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="WOSgrad" post="982463" timestamp="1300119403"]
Let me set this straight, Dan Hooks is not scared of Dayton and neither Jerry Stewart nor Joel Hancock are scared of West Orange-Stark.  

All of this (here anyway) started with some person by the name of "morethanyouknow" whose name should really be "lessthanIthink" who with his very first post on this message board spread some misinformation as to why West Orange-Stark decided not to scrimmage Dayton next year in an attempt to make it sound like WO-S didn't want to scrimmage out of fear of Dayton.  His myths were quickly debunked and should no longer hold weight.

By the same token, I know that Dayton's decision to no longer play West Orange-Stark in the regular season is by no means motivated by fear.
[/quote]
Good points Grad....
Anyone who really knows anything about these two programs know that the respect for each other runs deep. Not just among the coaches, but among the players and fans as well.  I am sure that there will come a time when the two schools will meet up and play again.  Probably due to lack of other teams willing to play them.  Good luck to the Mustangs and to the Broncos as both schools prepare to continue the excellence that has been established.  It should be an exciting year for both schools.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa