Open Message Hamshire - Fannett Basketball Future

BLUEDOVE3

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="965973" timestamp="1297716718"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=80192.msg965970#msg965970 date=1297716489]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=80192.msg965938#msg965938 date=1297712210]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=80192.msg965933#msg965933 date=1297711717]
Yes, they have one- The prices are higher than any place in Beaumont
[/quote]

Bummer, well we do have K-dans which has the highest prices of any store in Orange County. Oh ya and a Mexican restaurant. Don't know about their prices yet. ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]Whats K-DANS? A drug store?
[/quote]

Grocery store with a meat market and plate lunches.
[/quote]okay ;)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="stevenash" post="965986" timestamp="1297717788"]
Dove- Meet me at the Bennigans or Steak n Ale in Sour Lake before game and I will buy your dinner.
[/quote]I've eaten in Sour Lake b4. Ain't no Steak N Ale there. But I was wondering where Bennigans moved after closing in Beaumont. Bennigans is fine with me ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="965901" timestamp="1297709279"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=80192.msg965845#msg965845 date=1297701961]
[quote author=Lt. Dangle link=topic=80192.msg965787#msg965787 date=1297692577]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=80192.msg965755#msg965755 date=1297660821]
Did I miss something or did the UIL change the rules for transferring for athletic purposes?I know it happens but it really is a shame that kids would transfer from one public school to another because they didn't like the basketball coach.
[/quote]
That is the most circumvented rule in the entire UIL constitution!!!!! Everyone on here seems to blast officials for blowing calls every time their team loses, but you notice that the UIL never gets blasted for this one.... :o :o
[/quote]The only reason most of these kids consider changing schools is the almighy "play at the next level" goal which is a pipe dream for probably 95% of these guys.When you let your kids do this they almost always become a a little fish in a big pond.Lt.Daigle most of the folks who come on here ,with the exception of a few old coaches, and blast the officials wouldn't know which end of the whistle to blow.
[/quote]Actually, if you have a good skill you can play college ball somewhere ;)
[/quote]Why the wink  Bluedove?? The "somewhere" is the key to the whole discussion.The kids that have a good skill are used to playing in front of pretty big crowds every Tuesday and Friday.They think by changing schools they will get the big time exposure and the D1 offers which is where the pipe dream comes in.You hear every year of kids signing to play at the next level with LaTeDa Tech  only to see them back home after one semester.If they want to leave their hometown school to play ball they need to be educated in real world college prospects.

[quote name="whsalum" post="965996" timestamp="1297718557"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=80192.msg965901#msg965901 date=1297709279]
Did I miss something or did the UIL change the rules for transferring for athletic purposes?I know it happens but it really is a shame that kids would transfer from one public school to another because they didn't like the basketball coach.
[/quote]
That is the most circumvented rule in the entire UIL constitution!!!!! Everyone on here seems to blast officials for blowing calls every time their team loses, but you notice that the UIL never gets blasted for this one.... :o :o
[/quote]The only reason most of these kids consider changing schools is the almighy "play at the next level" goal which is a pipe dream for probably 95% of these guys.When you let your kids do this they almost always become a a little fish in a big pond.Lt.Daigle most of the folks who come on here ,with the exception of a few old coaches, and blast the officials wouldn't know which end of the whistle to blow.
[/quote]Actually, if you have a good skill you can play college ball somewhere ;)
[/quote]Why the wink  Bluedove?? The "somewhere" is the key to the whole discussion.The kids that have a good skill are used to playing in front of pretty big crowds every Tuesday and Friday.They think by changing schools they will get the big time exposure and the D1 offers which is where the pipe dream comes in.You hear every year of kids signing to play at the next level with LaTeDa Tech  only to see them back home after one semester.If they want to leave their hometown school to play ball they need to be educated in real world college prospects.
[/quote]Whoa! Wait a minute. I need to fully understand where you are coming from with this.  What is your definition of playing in front of big crowds on Tuesday and Friday nights? Nderland crowds or Fort Bend Bush crowds?

[quote name="whsalum" post="965996" timestamp="1297718557"]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Skill is in the eye of the beholder. Not saying that is the case with you dove but a lot of parents have on rose colored glasses.  I have to agree with whsalum, the percentage of the kids that go to the next level is very low.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="966001" timestamp="1297719137"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=80192.msg965996#msg965996 date=1297718557]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Skill is in the eye of the beholder. Not saying that is the case with you dove but a lot of parents have on rose colored glasses.  I have to agree with whsalum, the percentage of the kids that go to the next level is very low.
[/quote]I agree. The % is very low. But give me a kid with decent skills and he'll get a scholarship. Look at HJ players. Prime example :D  I couldn't help it HJ supporters. :D

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="965920" timestamp="1297710685"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=80192.msg965908#msg965908 date=1297710171]
One more thing, how do administrations and school boards REALLY know what they are getting when they hire a coach? They are making a decision based on an interview and past records. I mean that coach has a high winning percentage. Does that mean he/she is a good coach. I don't think so, not in all cases. Maybe they just had talent. Its a guessing game 50/50 chance. Unless you have been to a practice/game and watched the coach work the kids you really don't know what you are getting. IMO more research needs to done when hiring a coach. If that means driving 300 miles then drive 300 miles. Even if you find the right guy/lady, Orangefield and Hamphire Fannett will never be able to comete (boy side) on a regular bases as long as we are in this district. Can we compete? Yes we can but not year end and year out unless both communities start growing at a rapid pace. I hate to say that but it is true. I would rather Orangefield not grow, Small communities are special, close knit.
[/quote]I thought Silsbee and Sour Lake were small communities?
[/quote]

Silsbee is a growing metropolis compared to Sour Lake. They have 300 more students than we do.... u killing me bdove..

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="966000" timestamp="1297719052"]
[/quote]
[/quote]Whoa! Wait a minute. I need to fully understand where you are coming from with this.  What is your definition of playing in front of big crowds on Tuesday and Friday nights? Nderland crowds or Fort Bend Bush crowds?
[/quote]I 'm talking full houses regardless of the size of the venue.You used HJ as a light hearted jab but look at the situation seriously for a second.Ryan and Jarvis were great local players who play in a very small school in Kansas.They were 2 of the very best in SETX, the years they graduated,now imagine for a minute someone transferring over there to play with them.What kind of opportunity would have been there for for them ??Just something for parents to think about before they move just to get their kids in a certain school to play a sport.

[quote name="whsalum" post="966033" timestamp="1297721520"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=80192.msg966000#msg966000 date=1297719052]
[/quote]
[/quote]I 'm talking full houses regardless of the size of the venue.You used HJ as a light hearted jab but look at the situation seriously for a second.Ryan and Jarvis were great local players who play in a very small school in Kansas.They were 2 of the very best in SETX, the years they graduated,now imagine for a minute someone transferring over there to play with them.What kind of opportunity would have been there for for them ??Just something for parents to think about before they move just to get their kids in a certain school to play a sport.
[/quote]Okay. I understand now where you're going. I agree! I f for example, I had kids and wanted to trasnfer for athletic purposes, you would want to scout the talent and the coach. But you better be a Big Dog. Kinda like wanting to go to UT as a freshman next year. Better make sure there is a fit for you.

LOL .Now Steve that's a cheap shot :) Blue I think we're on the same page now, some folks look thru rose colored glasses when evaluating their kids playing abilities or their potential.Really a shame to see kids leave their schools and friends behind only to find out the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

[quote name="whsalum" post="966099" timestamp="1297733432"]
LOL .Now Steve that's a cheap shot :) Blue I think we're on the same page now, some folks look thru rose colored glasses when evaluating their kids playing abilities or their potential.Really a shame to see kids leave their schools and friends behind only to find out the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
[/quote]

Good post whsalum. ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="965339" timestamp="1297546328"]
The question is, did this player who only played 1.5 quarters and ended up being the high scorer for HF get the majority of his points in what some call "garbage time" during the last half of the 4th? ;)

That is what I was told. ;)
[/quote]And I bet he text you and you both agreed to not start the HF starters in the 4th against HJ because HF might keep the score too close and there might be a slight justification to play his beloved seniors in their last game.

[quote name="whsalum" post="966099" timestamp="1297733432"]
[/quote]

In case you werent aware, no look and I have a long running joke about the Huntington Police Force, otherwise referred to on this board as the Gestapo.  I was at a game in Huntington years ago and an officer was telling the opposing teams fans that they couldnt yell as loud as they wanted.  No expletives were involved and I had a problem with the officer getting involved in making decibel level decisions.

[quote name="whsalum" post="968461" timestamp="1298078228"]
I was picking about the cheap shot Steve, I know you like to give no-look a hard time.I actually had a police officer at the Zavalla tourney one year tell me I couldn't yell so loud for my kids.Thought he was gonna lock me up LOL.
[/quote]

That officer must have received his basic training in Huntington.  Gotta check with NO LOOK and see if they are offering training for all surrounding towns at some sort of discounted price.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="967021" timestamp="1297867523"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=80192.msg965339#msg965339 date=1297546328]
The question is, did this player who only played 1.5 quarters and ended up being the high scorer for HF get the majority of his points in what some call "garbage time" during the last half of the 4th? ;)

[/quote]And I bet he text you and you both agreed to not start the HF starters in the 4th against HJ because HF might keep the score too close and there might be a slight justification to play his beloved seniors in their last game.
[/quote]Dove your under class men have had 30 games this year to try and get a winning record. They finished 13 and 17. Do you realy think that finishing 14 and 16 would have made ant difference. But after playing all year at HF, if you realy fell that your kids would be better off playing somewere else, quit crying on this board and move. Right now its a buyers market in housing. But you strike me as one that is just going to bitch and cry about something but never have the guts to do anything about it.

[quote name="True Blue" post="968814" timestamp="1298134847"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=80192.msg967021#msg967021 date=1297867523]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=80192.msg965339#msg965339 date=1297546328]

[/quote]Dove your under class men have had 30 games this year to try and get a winning record. They finished 13 and 17. Do you realy think that finishing 14 and 16 would have made ant difference. But after playing all year at HF, if you realy fell that your kids would be better off playing somewere else, quit crying on this board and move. Right now its a buyers market in housing. But you strike me as one that is just going to censored and cry about something but never have the guts to do anything about it.
[/quote]TB, my "crying" has put HF under the radar to get more people to take a deeper look at the program. Trust me, this isn't about my kids but the program at HF. They have a talented group of athletes coming up. They deserve better. Guts? TB, youreally don't wanna debate me about my guts :D

What you have to have is a Coach that not only knows basketball, but is able to reach the players and have them believe in the system and themselves.  If the coach works hard then your players will follow suit.  But you do have to start with a foundation...The reason the Nederland program is doing so well is that one you got a great coach and he started at the LITTLE DRIBBLER area as far as building a foundation.  I would love to take the Head Coaching job at HF, because im a former player and was on the team that led HF to its first District Championship in school history, but coaching at HF means that i would have to coach football and probably another sport and so that takes away from focus on basketball.  Sutherland is at a 3A school and does no football.......they re very successful.  Im 5gallon bucket because thats what i grew up shooting on.....it had to be perfect.

[quote name="gcrew" post="970936" timestamp="1298483757"]
Ahhh...dove, HF [i]does[/i] have a talented group of boys in the middle school program, but I have heard a lot of them are moving towards the mid-county area.  This may be part of the problem as to why the high school program is weak.
[/quote]Yes ol' wise one! What you hear is correct ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami