Nederland vs. Port Neches-Groves Game Thread/Nederland wins/Comments

WOSgrad

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="956925" timestamp="1296271697"]
Wow!  That's the same way the Indians lost to my Jags... On a last second tip in with the game tied. IMO, I think it was a great idea to let Ned hold for the last shot.  You let your defense determin the outome of the game.  It sound like it worked just as the PN-G coach planned...  Except sounds like the Indian team got caught with their mouths open and forgot to box out, which cost them the game.  How could you not find one of the star players at this time?  You knew they would crash the boardds..
[/quote]
Sums it up pretty well. Great Post!!!!!!!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="speechless" post="957944" timestamp="1296491601"]
right call by png coach

when you are not the better team you take your chances on defending one shot as opposed to having to defend for multiple possessions

he did the right thing

forced the lowest percentage shot they could force and just didnt block out on the back side
[/quote]

Even if Nederland hadn't scored at the buzzer to win the game, the game would've gone into OT and PN-G would've had to defend mulitple possessions then.  So by sitting back, PN-G accomplished nothing and they gave Nederland the chance to win the game with the last shot, which is what happened.  PN-G was not ahead.  The game was tied. 

[quote name="stevenash" post="957930" timestamp="1296490067"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=79456.msg957903#msg957903 date=1296487045]
[quote author=Razor link=topic=79456.msg957900#msg957900 date=1296486674]
I am sure in a rivalry like this, there are instances where both sides behave badly...I am not saying this is proper behavior but it is a bit "high and mighty" for PNG fans to come on here and complain about Nederland's kids when I can assure you that I have first hand seen some pretty sad behavior from PNG students at Nederland games as well...unfortunate by product of an intense rivalry...my point is, just don't come on here saying "Nederland's students did this and Nederland's students did that" when the same type of behavior happens on the other side as well.

As for the guy who says playing it the way he did, Abel only gave PNG a 25% chance of winning?  I assume by this you felt that PNG had NO chance of winning in OT?  PNG played a great game and their kids should be commended...hard way to lose for sure, especially coming off of another buzzer beater with Central...Coach Abel is a great guy and in that situation you have to trust that a coach knows his team better than the average fan...it is so easy to judge after the fact...if PNG had won, everyone would be on here second guessing Coach English (inappropriately, I might add) and praising Abel as a hero...at the end of the day, it comes down to execution by the players and some times just the good old fashioned breaks.

Again, as a Bulldog fan, I tip my hat to PNG for a well played game and a great effort although I was certainly happy with the outcome!
[/quote]+ 2 for  you!  Excellent post.
[/quote]

Strongly agree
[/quote]Just as strongly disagree.  ;)

The numbers are against you for letting this happen.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="958022" timestamp="1296499152"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=79456.msg957930#msg957930 date=1296490067]
I am sure in a rivalry like this, there are instances where both sides behave badly...I am not saying this is proper behavior but it is a bit "high and mighty" for PNG fans to come on here and complain about Nederland's kids when I can assure you that I have first hand seen some pretty sad behavior from PNG students at Nederland games as well...unfortunate by product of an intense rivalry...my point is, just don't come on here saying "Nederland's students did this and Nederland's students did that" when the same type of behavior happens on the other side as well.

As for the guy who says playing it the way he did, Abel only gave PNG a 25% chance of winning?  I assume by this you felt that PNG had NO chance of winning in OT?  PNG played a great game and their kids should be commended...hard way to lose for sure, especially coming off of another buzzer beater with Central...Coach Abel is a great guy and in that situation you have to trust that a coach knows his team better than the average fan...it is so easy to judge after the fact...if PNG had won, everyone would be on here second guessing Coach English (inappropriately, I might add) and praising Abel as a hero...at the end of the day, it comes down to execution by the players and some times just the good old fashioned breaks.

Again, as a Bulldog fan, I tip my hat to PNG for a well played game and a great effort although I was certainly happy with the outcome!
[/quote]+ 2 for  you!  Excellent post.
[/quote]

Strongly agree
[/quote]Just as strongly disagree.  ;)

[/quote]

Read the post by speechless.  Trust me when I tell you he has more insight about those situations than any 5 people in this post collectively.  But, at the same time, I respect your right to disagree and have no reason to believe that my opinion is any more valid than yours.  As for the game of numbers ( which I happen to know plenty about) I would say that a percentage or percentile assignment might have different meanings..  If you bat 250, you are ok and if you bat over 300 you are pretty good.  If you shoot 30% in basketball, you arent that good.  If you don't hit the greens about 70% of the time in regulation [playing golf, you have little if any chance to win .  So equating percentages with "good"  fluctuates widely depending on what the circumstances are.

I wasn't saying Abel was right or wrong...truthfully, if it was me making the call, I would have played it differently and that could have worked out or maybe that wouldn't have worked out either...I just feel that it is way too easy to criticize after the fact when the result is known but I also understand that it is everyone's right to disagree...I just know that I don't make the right call at my job 100% of the time and neither does anyone else on this board...we work with the information we have (coaches have more than fans) and make what we think are the best choices at the time based on that info.

Again, great game by both teams...sure was fun to watch, but now it is time to move on to the next one!

[quote name="Razor" post="958066" timestamp="1296502707"]
I wasn't saying Abel was right or wrong...truthfully, if it was me making the call, I would have played it differently and that could have worked out or maybe that wouldn't have worked out either...I just feel that it is way too easy to criticize after the fact when the result is known but I also understand that it is everyone's right to disagree...I just know that I don't make the right call at my job 100% of the time and neither does anyone else on this board...we work with the information we have (coaches have more than fans) and make what we think are the best choices at the time based on that info.

Again, great game by both teams...sure was fun to watch, but now it is time to move on to the next one!
[/quote]
;D

[quote name="stevenash" post="958047" timestamp="1296501322"]
Read the post by speechless.  Trust me when I tell you he has more insight about those situations than any 5 people in this post collectively.  But, at the same time, I respect your right to disagree and have no reason to believe that my opinion is any more valid than yours.  As for the game of numbers ( which I happen to know plenty about) I would say that a percentage or percentile assignment might have different meanings..  If you bat 250, you are ok and if you bat over 300 you are pretty good.  If you shoot 30% in basketball, you arent that good.  If you don't hit the greens about 70% of the time in regulation [playing golf, you have little if any chance to win .  So equating percentages with "good"  fluctuates widely depending on what the circumstances are.
[/quote]I'll read speechless' post again, and yes this is an opinion forum, so all is cool.

But regarding percentages, its pure and simple.  When faced with two options, winning or losing, I like to stack the deck in my favor.  I don't feel that going into a scenario with a 25% chance of winning is a good idea.  Batting .250 may be average, but winning 25% of your games is poor.

[quote name="speechless" post="957944" timestamp="1296491601"]
right call by png coach

when you are not the better team you take your chances on defending one shot as opposed to having to defend for multiple possessions

he did the right thing

forced the lowest percentage shot they could force and just didnt block out on the back side
[/quote]This would have been a good move if PNG had the lead, but they didn't.

They boxed themselves into a hole where they had a low chance of winning.  And how can you say they weren't the better team at that moment?  Didn't Nederland's big man foul out?  Its not "who has the best team", it's "who has the best 5 players on the court at that moment".

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="958151" timestamp="1296509471"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=79456.msg958047#msg958047 date=1296501322]
[/quote]I'll read speechless' post again, and yes this is an opinion forum, so all is cool.

But regarding percentages, its pure and simple.  When faced with two options, winning or losing, I like to stack the deck in my favor.  I don't feel that going into a scenario with a 25% chance of winning is a good idea.  Batting .250 may be average, but winning 25% of your games is poor.
[/quote]Winning 25% of your games has no relevance to the last minute of a single game.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="958153" timestamp="1296509651"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=79456.msg957944#msg957944 date=1296491601]
right call by png coach

he did the right thing

[/quote]This would have been a good move if PNG had the lead, but they didn't.

They boxed themselves into a hole where they had a low chance of winning.  And how can you say they weren't the better team at that moment?  Didn't Nederland's big man foul out?  Its not "who has the best team", it's "who has the best 5 players on the court at that moment".
[/quote]i I guess you could say they boxed themselves in the hole but it looks like to me that they put themselves in position to possibly win the game during the prior 31 minutes.  Additionally, all of this exchange between you and me may be good proof why you and I are NOT coaches.

[quote name="stevenash" post="958215" timestamp="1296514523"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=79456.msg958151#msg958151 date=1296509471]

[/quote]Winning 25% of your games has no relevance to the last minute of a single game.
[/quote]Or, every "DOG" has it's day

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="958217" timestamp="1296514646"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=79456.msg958215#msg958215 date=1296514523]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=79456.msg958151#msg958151 date=1296509471]

[/quote]Or, every "DOG" has it's day
[/quote]How about every "Dove"?

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="958151" timestamp="1296509471"]

[/quote]  If you are at the blackjack table and you draw a 16 and the dealer has a face card showing, and you have a bunch of money on the table, tell me what you are going to do and what the odds are that you will win.  The odds are that you will lose if you hold and the odds are also that you will lose if you take a card so you cant necessarily stack the odds in your favor. Therefore, after you go bust, it is quite easy for me to say you should have stayed with the two original cards.  Converselly, if you stand pat and the dealer winds up with 17,18,19,20, or 21, I can just as easily say that you made a dumb play by not taking a card.

[quote name="stevenash" post="958047" timestamp="1296501322"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=79456.msg958022#msg958022 date=1296499152]

As for the guy who says playing it the way he did, Abel only gave PNG a 25% chance of winning?  I assume by this you felt that PNG had NO chance of winning in OT?  PNG played a great game and their kids should be commended...hard way to lose for sure, especially coming off of another buzzer beater with Central...Coach Abel is a great guy and in that situation you have to trust that a coach knows his team better than the average fan...it is so easy to judge after the fact...if PNG had won, everyone would be on here second guessing Coach English (inappropriately, I might add) and praising Abel as a hero...at the end of the day, it comes down to execution by the players and some times just the good old fashioned breaks.

[/quote]

Strongly agree

[/quote]

Read the post by speechless.  [b]Trust me when I tell you he has more insight about those situations than any 5 people in this post collectively.[/b]  But, at the same time, I respect your right to disagree and have no reason to believe that my opinion is any more valid than yours.  As for the game of numbers ( which I happen to know plenty about) I would say that a percentage or percentile assignment might have different meanings..  If you bat 250, you are ok and if you bat over 300 you are pretty good.  If you shoot 30% in basketball, you arent that good.  If you don't hit the greens about 70% of the time in regulation [playing golf, you have little if any chance to win .  So equating percentages with "good"  fluctuates widely depending on what the circumstances are.
[/quote]

Then there must be a lot of not so smart people on this board cause giving Big Ned the last shot was not very smart.

[quote name="samsung" post="958256" timestamp="1296520310"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=79456.msg958022#msg958022 date=1296499152]

[/quote]

Strongly agree

[/quote]

Read the post by speechless.  [b]Trust me when I tell you he has more insight about those situations than any 5 people in this post collectively.[/b]  But, at the same time, I respect your right to disagree and have no reason to believe that my opinion is any more valid than yours.  As for the game of numbers ( which I happen to know plenty about) I would say that a percentage or percentile assignment might have different meanings..  If you bat 250, you are ok and if you bat over 300 you are pretty good.  If you shoot 30% in basketball, you arent that good.  If you don't hit the greens about 70% of the time in regulation [playing golf, you have little if any chance to win .  So equating percentages with "good"  fluctuates widely depending on what the circumstances are.
[/quote]

Then there must be a lot of not so smart people on this board cause giving Big Ned the last shot was not very smart.
[/quote]

Then if Phil Jackson decides to use Kobe as a last second decoy to set up a shot for Derek Fisher and Fisher misses, is that move "not so smart"?

[quote name="stevenash" post="958215" timestamp="1296514523"]
Winning 25% of your games has no relevance to the last minute of a single game.
[/quote]It does when you leave yourself a 25% chance of winning.  Faced with the same dilemma 4 games in a row (last 90 seconds let the other team go for a winning shot), you'll only win 1 out of 4 times on average.

Those aren't good odds.

[quote name="stevenash" post="958220" timestamp="1296515064"]
If you are at the blackjack table and you draw a 16 and the dealer has a face card showing, and you have a bunch of money on the table, tell me what you are going to do and what the odds are that you will win.   The odds are that you will lose if you hold and the odds are also that you will lose if you take a card so you cant necessarily stack the odds in your favor. Therefore, after you go bust, it is quite easy for me to say you should have stayed with the two original cards.  Converselly, if you stand pat and the dealer winds up with 17,18,19,20, or 21, I can just as easily say that you made a dumb play by not taking a card.
[/quote]Is there a point in there somewhere? 

Let me ask you, do you really think that coaches ignore the odds when making calls during a game?

For example, you may have noticed that Persohn and Prudhomme kept leaving the game against HF whenever there was a dead ball and HJ was going to be on defense.  But they went back into the game if there was a dead ball and HJ was going to be on offense.

Did percentages have anything to do with this decision.  I mean, both guys are very good on defense.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="958264" timestamp="1296521780"]
There are so many alternatives in these games you can't simply say that PNG had 25% chance to win. Its the end of a basketball game you can't put a percentage on it accurately. He did what he thought gave his team the best chance. Not my strategy but I'll take my chances with the ball
[/quote]Well, look at the scenario I laid out.  I stated why I gave them a 25% chance of winning.  If my reasoning was wrong, then one can simply point out where I was wrong.

Simply saying, "Your wrong" without explaining is for liberals to do.  ;)

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="958288" timestamp="1296524466"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=79456.msg958220#msg958220 date=1296515064]
If you are at the blackjack table and you draw a 16 and the dealer has a face card showing, and you have a bunch of money on the table, tell me what you are going to do and what the odds are that you will win.   The odds are that you will lose if you hold and the odds are also that you will lose if you take a card so you cant necessarily stack the odds in your favor. Therefore, after you go bust, it is quite easy for me to say you should have stayed with the two original cards.  Converselly, if you stand pat and the dealer winds up with 17,18,19,20, or 21, I can just as easily say that you made a dumb play by not taking a card.
[/quote]Is there a point in there somewhere?  

Let me ask you, do you really think that coaches ignore the odds when making calls during a game?

For example, you may have noticed that Persohn and Prudhomme kept leaving the game against HF whenever there was a dead ball and HJ was going to be on defense.  But they went back into the game if there was a dead ball and HJ was going to be on offense.

Did percentages have anything to do with this decision.  I mean, both guys are very good on defense.
[/quote]  I  will leave you to your own conclusions and same for me.  I just dont believe such things are as easily quantified as you do.  And I would be willing to bet that Persohn and Prudhomme coming and going were not the result of any "odds considerations" by the coaching staff.  My point regarding the blackjack analogy was, in that situation,  both choices have low odds for a favorable return and you can't "stack" the odds to be in your favor.

[quote name="stevenash" post="958438" timestamp="1296543143"]
I  will leave you to your own conclusions and same for me.  I just dont believe such things are as easily qunantified as you do.  And I would be willing to bet that Persohn and Prudhomme coming and going were not the result of any "odds considerations" by the coaching staff.  My point regarding the blackjack analogy was, in that situation,  both choices have low odds for a favorable return and you can't "stack" the odds to be in your favor.
[/quote]No, simply that Coach Sutherland was going with the odds that Persohn and Prudhomme were less likely to get an offensive foul and more likely to get a defensive foul.  Hence, they were in on offense and out on defense. 

If there was a 50-50 chance of any team winning in overtime (which no one has refuted) than there should be a relatively close 50-50 chance of any time winning with 90 seconds to go (that's  probably about 3 or 4 possessions each team).  I like those odds, even if its 60-40 since Nederland has the ball, WAY BETTER than the 0% chance of PNG winning in regulation because they allowed Nederland to stall.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="958462" timestamp="1296567146"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=79456.msg958438#msg958438 date=1296543143]
I  will leave you to your own conclusions and same for me.  I just dont believe such things are as easily qunantified as you do.  And I would be willing to bet that Persohn and Prudhomme coming and going were not the result of any "odds considerations" by the coaching staff.  My point regarding the blackjack analogy was, in that situation,  both choices have low odds for a favorable return and you can't "stack" the odds to be in your favor.
[/quote]No, simply that Coach Sutherland was going with the odds that Persohn and Prudhomme were less likely to get an offensive foul and more likely to get a defensive foul.  Hence, they were in on offense and out on defense. 

If there was a 50-50 chance of any team winning in overtime (which no one has refuted) than there should be a relatively close 50-50 chance of any time winning with 90 seconds to go (that's  probably about 3 or 4 possessions each team).  I like those odds, even if its 60-40 since Nederland has the ball, WAY BETTER than the 0% chance of PNG winning in regulation because they allowed Nederland to stall.
[/quote]

I wasnt there and have not seen the film  If I understand you correctly, you are saying now that PNG had no chance of winning.  A little earlier, I had understood you to say that they had a 25% of winning.  Sometimes the odds are not good either way.  If the Celtics are beating the Lakers by one with 10 seconds left in the game and the Lakers miss a shot which is rebounded by Ray Allen, what do the Lakers do to stack the  odds in their favor or even make them 50-50?

Guest speechless
you are not thinking percentages in that situation you are thinking what gives my team the best chance to win/extend the game

png coach knew that things had gone their way just to be in a tie so if you told him before the game you have to get one stop to force OT with them will you take it?  he says yes

if they come out and play and Nederland scores which they would have because png plays zone and that is what kept them in the game then png would have had to go man and ned would have scored fairly easily due to the spread game so png says we are gonna sit in our zone and make you make a contested outside shot to win the game instead of creating a HIGHER % for a HIGHER % shot for you

see png forced nederland to take the lowest % shot possible to win the game it was a breakdown on the rebound that got them beat

png thought was lets keep this a one possession game with one minute to go instead of having 4 or 5 more possessions png knew that the fewer possession ned had the better off they were because png not good enough to go basket for basket with ned over the course of time

then you get to overtime and ned will likely come back and play regular ball and not hold it because there is 4 more minutes to play

when you are the lesser team and you know your personnel is not as good as the other team you dont ever take a chance to create extra possessions for that team in a tight game at the end

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83