Enrollment...UIL..configuration

[quote name="east texas bb" post="949922" timestamp="1295307474"]
I wonder how the UIL configures the cutoffs for each division in the state and I also wonder if any schools report less than what they have?  Does anyone know the exact cutoffs for each division?
[/quote]

The cutoff used at the past realignment was as follows:

5A - 2065 and up
4A - 990-2064
3A - 430-989
2A - 200-429
1A (DI) - 100-199
1A (DII) - 99 and below

It is probably doubtful that many districts choose to under report their average daily attendance to the TEA because 1) if caught, this could get the district in trouble legally (not just UIL) and MOST IMPORTANTLY 2) a district's funding is directly related to the average daily attendance (i.e. more students=more funding).  So as dollars are at a premium these days, I doubt that too many districts are inclined to fudge their numbers downward just so they can stay in a lower classification.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="949930" timestamp="1295308315"]
Does anyone have the enrollment for each school....I'm pretty sure that HJ's is 546 give or take 5
[/quote]

For Hardin-Jefferson, that number is 586.  Now, remember, this is a number that the HJISD would have turned in LAST year (2009-2010) that the UIL used for the alignment for 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 school years.

I agree, the first thing I thought of was the school wouldnt under report because of the funding.  I had just heard of one school, dont know if there was truth to it or not, but was trying to get down to the 3A level when it was at 899 and they were trying to force kids out of the district to get down.  That was the rumor.  I couls see a school not reporting if the number was close to a chande in "A" but if it wasnt they would more than likely put it as high as possible for the money.

The size of the school and the size of the town is sometimes misleading.....Huntington has one stop light,post office and a grocery store. Blink and you will miss it. But the school district covers a lot of country side.....What is always strange is a town that has a lot of size and many businesses but a small school...

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="950182" timestamp="1295319720"]
Silsbee's current enrollment as of January 5th is [b]726[/b] according to the office secretary. WOS was at 653 as of the 5th as well.
[/quote]

You are wrong, just like me. You must have pulled those numbers from the same place I did. ;) ;D

Silsbee currently sits at 822.

My bad! I wish the town would have better growth like Lumberton. My parents have told me that Silsbee was once one of the fastest growing towns in SETX during the late 60's and early 70's. This was before Kirby Lumber Yard and Santa Fe moved out. It was on target to have a poulation of 16-20k by the year 1990.

Guest speechless
Alignment numbers are done on a trickle down basis.  Basically they take the largest schools in the state and attempt to put x number of schools in that division (5a) and then work their way down from there.  It is not cut and dry and I am sure the numbers change to try and even out the number of schools but, that is the basic explanation of how it is decided.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124