Orangefield vs. Hamshire-Fannett Game Thread/OF wins/Comments

WOSgrad

On the coaching side of team vs last few years, you have a very cohesive group this year who work their tales off.  The biggest knock on the group that is gone is that would not work together or play hard on both ends of the floor.  This group is also a young group  with 3 sophs plying alot of minutes so they are still getting better everyday.  I will say it is a much more fun year than the last several.  Great job getting the most out of a group right now, just have to keep getting better.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="949630" timestamp="1295241630"]
After I saw Trueblue's son, I knew we were not kin. They know nothing about basketball.
[/quote] No after I saw the little 4'7'' kid that is doves I knew we could not be kin. My kin is that big at 3. There is no one in my family under 6'2'' That me and I and the littles ;D

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="True Blue" post="949908" timestamp="1295305727"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=78789.msg949630#msg949630 date=1295241630]
After I saw Trueblue's son, I knew we were not kin. They know nothing about basketball.
[/quote] No after I saw the little 4'7'' kid that is doves I knew we could not be kin. My kin is that big at 3. There is no one in my family under 6'2'' That me and I and the littles ;D
[/quote]

Come on guys, lets be real here. You guys need to quit insulting each others kid. They are not going to make a living playing basketball. Does not matter what size you are.  I promise you this my daughter could beat both in a game of horse anytime and anywhere. LOL!!!! Please do not bet money, you will lose.

[quote name="True Blue" post="949908" timestamp="1295305727"]
[/quote] :D :D Too bad  HF don't play Evadale again.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="949251" timestamp="1295193100"]
I dont think an up tempo game is your strength.  You dont have the guards for it.  I agree with bball, your best opportunity is the size factor.  The fresh has to learn to get his bigs involved as opposed to looking like aau.  He is good player for a fresh but the game changers are down low and he needs them if he is going to effective at all this year.  Also, the exchange kid needs to learn to use the size and take advantage of the mismatch he creates as opposed to standing outside. 
[/quote]Wildcatter.... Now..the PG hits the open man..whether on the wing or down low. HF does not have consistent enough shooters to just come down run plays and shoot. We need to fast break with the big men throwing the outlet pass to the guard and then get down the court for at least 5-10 easy baskets. The new PG is fast enough believe me to get the ball down. There are athletic enough guards and forwards if placed in all together to run some fast breaks. The PG sets the tempo of the game. He is the floor general- the coach on the floor. In the last 3 games he has played..I have observed that he asks the coach ALOT about what to run....maybe b/c he is new. But hopefully with time he will be confident enough to make some judgement calls and adjust w/o asking the coach every single posession what to run....I am not a coach...but my husband is a former player and coach and we observe and debate a lot of basketball....and this is JUST MY OPINION...everybody's got one.

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="950094" timestamp="1295317308"]
[quote author=Wildcatter link=topic=78789.msg949251#msg949251 date=1295193100]
I dont think an up tempo game is your strength.  You dont have the guards for it.  I agree with bball, your best opportunity is the size factor.  The fresh has to learn to get his bigs involved as opposed to looking like aau.  He is good player for a fresh but the game changers are down low and he needs them if he is going to effective at all this year.  Also, the exchange kid needs to learn to use the size and take advantage of the mismatch he creates as opposed to standing outside. 
[/quote]Wildcatter.... Now..the PG hits the open man..whether on the wing or down low. HF does not have consistent enough shooters to just come down run plays and shoot. We need to fast break with the big men throwing the outlet pass to the guard and then get down the court for at least 5-10 easy baskets. The new PG is fast enough believe me to get the ball down. There are athletic enough guards and forwards if placed in all together to run some fast breaks. The PG sets the tempo of the game. He is the floor general- the coach on the floor. In the last 3 games he has played..I have observed that he asks the coach ALOT about what to run....maybe b/c he is new. But hopefully with time he will be confident enough to make some judgement calls and adjust w/o asking the coach every single posession what to run....I am not a coach...but my husband is a former player and coach and we observe and debate a lot of basketball....and this is JUST MY OPINION...everybody's got one.
[/quote]  Just want to add my two cents worth.  I know mamma and know that she knows her basketball.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="949251" timestamp="1295193100"]
I dont think an up tempo game is your strength.  You dont have the guards for it.  I agree with bball, your best opportunity is the size factor.  The fresh has to learn to get his bigs involved as opposed to looking like aau.  He is good player for a fresh but the game changers are down low and he needs them if he is going to effective at all this year.  Also, the exchange kid needs to learn to use the size and take advantage of the mismatch he creates as opposed to standing outside.  
[/quote]Lastly, wildcatter...what does AAU look like? Do you know? SO MANY people think they know what true Elite  AAU looks like. When was the last time you witnessed an AAU game? Anywhere in the Golden Triangle does not count. There seems to be an AAU backlash in this area-negative connotations ..but take notice people...its the present and the future. Your top D1 prospects ALL play summerball (Rasheed Saluimon- Duke). If you don't play summer ball...you will probably not be seen unless your team goes to State. College coaches go where they can see several players all in one venue..."Live Events" Elite AAU is not at all" reckless" but a very high level training environment. Please tell me Wildcatter...what is AAU like? Oh, and you sure do know a lot about what goes on with HF basketball.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="950144" timestamp="1295318635"]
[/quote]Lastly, wildcatter...what does AAU look like? Do you know? SO MANY people think they know what true Elite  AAU looks like. When was the last time you witnessed an AAU game? Anywhere in the Golden Triangle goes not count. There seems to be an AAU backlash in this area-negative connotations ..but take notice people...its the present and the future. Your top D1 prospects ALL play summerball (Rasheed Saluimon- Duke). If you don't play summer ball...you will probably not be seen unless your team goes to State. College coaches go where they can see several players all in one venue..."Live Events" Elite AAU is not at all" reckless" but a very high level training environment. Please tell me Wildcatter...what is AAU like? Oh, and you sure do know a lot about what goes on with HF basketball.
[/quote]

I think in the begining AAU was a good thing.  It was all about the "team". Not anymore, now it is about "Me". Can you say "NBA". By the way I do know what AAU is all about, Should I say what it used to be about.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="950175" timestamp="1295319532"]
[quote author=mammagotjuice link=topic=78789.msg950144#msg950144 date=1295318635]
[/quote]Lastly, wildcatter...what does AAU look like? Do you know? SO MANY people think they know what true Elite  AAU looks like. When was the last time you witnessed an AAU game? Anywhere in the Golden Triangle goes not count. There seems to be an AAU backlash in this area-negative connotations ..but take notice people...its the present and the future. Your top D1 prospects ALL play summerball (Rasheed Saluimon- Duke). If you don't play summer ball...you will probably not be seen unless your team goes to State. College coaches go where they can see several players all in one venue..."Live Events" Elite AAU is not at all" reckless" but a very high level training environment. Please tell me Wildcatter...what is AAU like? Oh, and you sure do know a lot about what goes on with HF basketball.
[/quote]

I think in the begining AAU was a good thing.  It was all about the "team". Not anymore, now it is about "Me". Can you say "NBA". By the way I do know what AAU is all about, Should I say what it used to be about.
[/quote]I agree with you to a point. But there are a "few" players who still think and play like a team. A "few."

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="950186" timestamp="1295319887"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=78789.msg950175#msg950175 date=1295319532]
[quote author=mammagotjuice link=topic=78789.msg950144#msg950144 date=1295318635]
[/quote]

[/quote]I agree with you to a point. But there are a "few" players who still think and play like a team. A "few."
[/quote]Yep...well it is highly competitive and not for the "faint at heart"....that's for sure.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="950194" timestamp="1295320139"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=78789.msg950186#msg950186 date=1295319887]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=78789.msg950175#msg950175 date=1295319532]
[/quote]

[/quote]Yep...well it is highly competitive and not for the "faint at heart"....that's for sure.
[/quote]

I agree Mamma. ;D ;D

Grew up playing it with the elite in the country, ever heard of the old dust bowl in Lexington Ky?  Players like Rex chapman, Kenny Sky Walker, some of the best players that had good nba careers as well would be there every Sunday.  Played major D1 myself so understand the game.  Travel every summer in houston as well and get to see good bball across the country and Friday saw aau from the pg.  Not a knock on the kid just don't assume that you have the market cornered on the aau ball.  Just think if HF is going to win it will not be on the talent of pg scoring but using the bigs that are on the floor which is HF strength.  How many pts did he have Friday night vs assists?  Basketball basics are the same no matter where it is played, pretty simple, utilize your talents over the opponent.  Your pg can't take over a game, the bigs have advantage with match ups vs most teams.  Not trying to get into a contest just saying what I saw.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="950207" timestamp="1295322729"]
Grew up playing it with the elite in the country, ever heard of the old dust bowl in Lexington Ky?  Players like Rex chapman, Kenny Sky Walker, some of the best players that had good nba careers as well would be there every Sunday.  Played major D1 myself so understand the game.  Travel every summer in houston as well and get to see good bball across the country and Friday saw aau from the pg.  Not a knock on the kid just don't assume that you have the market cornered on the aau ball.  Just think if HF is going to win it will not be on the talent of pg scoring but using the bigs that are on the floor which is HF strength.  How many pts did he have Friday night vs assists?  Basketball basics are the same no matter where it is played, pretty simple, utilize your talents over the opponent.  Your pg can't take over a game, the bigs have advantage with match ups vs most teams.  Not trying to get into a contest just saying what I saw.
[/quote]Wow....with those credentials we should have all known you in that gym. But your years in the hardwood scene was many many moons ago late 80's?. AAU is a horse of a different color now. And a players "flash"& style of play does not elude to AAU ball. Please expound on "I saw aau"? Explain exactly what you saw? Let this be a teaching moment being you know the game. But yes...the big men are key...but any successful team has two key components...a strong big man that can receive efficiently  and a strong PG that can get the rock there accurately. The two much exist. But lets explore the stats since you were there: 9pts- 1 three, 2 layups (penetrated the middle & 1 fast break layup) & 2 freethrows. I am very confident that there were at least 5 assists? Infact...the first HF play was the PG hitting the open man standing open under the basket. I am about facts so be ready to debate if you make a claim that you feel is valid. The new PG missed the entire pre-district season so here we are....the chemistry will come.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="950207" timestamp="1295322729"]
Grew up playing it with the elite in the country, ever heard of the old dust bowl in Lexington Ky?  Players like Rex chapman, Kenny Sky Walker, some of the best players that had good nba careers as well would be there every Sunday.  Played major D1 myself so understand the game.  Travel every summer in houston as well and get to see good bball across the country and Friday saw aau from the pg.  Not a knock on the kid just don't assume that you have the market cornered on the aau ball.  Just think if HF is going to win it will not be on the talent of pg scoring but using the bigs that are on the floor which is HF strength.  How many pts did he have Friday night vs assists?  Basketball basics are the same no matter where it is played, pretty simple, utilize your talents over the opponent.  Your pg can't take over a game, the bigs have advantage with match ups vs most teams.  Not trying to get into a contest just saying what I saw.
[/quote]oh...and you never answered any of my questions regarding AAU.....good night WC! :)

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="949259" timestamp="1295194831"]
On the coaching side of team vs last few years, you have a very cohesive group this year who work their tales off.  The[b][/b] biggest knock on the group that is gone is that would not work together or play hard on both ends of the floor.  This group is also a young group  with 3 sophs plying alot of minutes so they are still getting better everyday.  I will say it is a much more fun year than the last several.  Great job getting the most out of a group right now, just have to keep getting better.
[/quote]

Would have to agree mammagotjuice, why didn't you notice this guy when he walked in the gym??  Regarding the group that is gone wildcatter, do you really want to go there...Those kids deserve a lot more respect than you seem to want to give them...

Have not said the kid was not good, as a fresh I think he did good job.  The original post was that HF should be pushing al up the floor and I still hold that with 3 kids 6"5 your strength is a half court set no a small guard rushing up the floor with no one there.  He did make some good passes but again, he needs the bigs in order to make his game work.  Not sure why if just voicing opinion it has to get jumped on like I am breaking down the kid, you are obviously closer to program, just don't understand why you all continue to jump on way program is ran.  Once OF got HF into foul trouble coach had to do what he had to do to give best chance to win.  As for aau, what would you like to discuss?  Realize the exposure element and agree you have to play in Houston with the Primetime's, MAYB, etc if you are going to be seen as no one is coming to the Triangle to watch basketball.  The game has definitely evolved with aau and in a good and bad way as most coaches will agree.  Great for for the kid not as much for the coach as he has to fix alot of the bad that goes along with aau.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="950041" timestamp="1295315404"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=78789.msg949908#msg949908 date=1295305727]
[/quote] :D :D Too bad  HF don't play Evadale again.
[/quote] Yea to bad . Like i said before maybe if HF make the playoffs , they could play a warmup game. I bet you do wish that they could play a few more 1a schools ;D  But after seeing that HF lost to OF I guess its time for you to start warming the arms up to play baseball.

I have seen HF play a few games this season. They start 3 kids '6"5 and their guard play overall is not very strong. I agree, they would be much better suit in a halfcourt game. You cannot expect HF to become an up tempo team just because a freshman PG just got moved up. One player fast breaks will not work against HJ, Silsbee and WOS.

Silsbee started 3 bigs last year (Thomas '6"6, Jones '6"7, Stallworth '6"4), they were definitely more of a half court team, and used that height to their advantage. This year, the Tigers are much more of a guard oriented team with much more depth. This allows them to be more up tempo, allowing for mass substituting, keeping fresh legs in, giving them the advantage in an up tempo game. I do not see HF with that kind of advantage from their bench.

There is no denying that the freshman PG will be good in time, but he and HF will suffer under pressure applied by the likes of HJ, Silsbee and WOS this season. It's best for them to try and slow the pace down.

May be time for Da-Dove to get a new address and find a better place for his kids to play..........I hear there is a new housing addition on Hwy 90 that is in the HJ school district.  Would be nice to see your boy, Mitchell, Bosha together for 3 years!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="950300" timestamp="1295362629"]
May be time for Da-Dove to get a new address and find a better place for his kids to play..........I hear there is a new housing addition on Hwy 90 that is in the HJ school district.  Would be nice to see your boy, Mitchell, Bosha together for 3 years!!!!! ;) ;) ;)
[/quote]I suggested to  Bosha to transfer to HF. The look  ::) on his face  :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami