WAC might replace Hawaii with Texas school

From the Honolulu Star Adviser:

[quote]For 2012, the WAC football lineup currently includes Idaho, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Texas State, UTSA and Utah State. And speculation has the WAC looking at multiple schools from the Football Championship Subdivision, including Lamar. It might also revisit Seattle University as a nonfootball member.

Benson declined to discuss prospective candidates, but said Texas is in the WAC's "footprint" and "we're not going to rule out anyone in our footprint."

Lamar, located in Beaumont, Texas, restored football for the 2010 season after a 20-year absence. The Cardinals competed in the Southland Conference, along with Texas State. UH is scheduled to play Lamar Sept. 15, 2012.[/quote]

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20110105_WAC_might_replace_Hawaii_with_Texas_school.html

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lazeek, that would be great but we have to add softball and built a complex. There are plans to renovate Vincent-Beck. The track and field complex (Ty Terrell) needs to be relocated. Then there are plans to add a practice facility to the Montagne Center.

All this and then renovate again Provost Umphrey to FBS standards. We are talking millions of dollars here and that isn't even talking about improving our academic status.

I know you and sleepy are in the know there at Lamar. I'm sure if there is an announcement to come soon the administration and athletic leaders at LU knows what they are doing.

[quote name="AJ25" post="942854" timestamp="1294253688"]
I can say this, even though it's off subject, the place needs a parking garage.. BAD.

But after saying that, LU will be in the WAC.  :)
[/quote]

No, you're wrong.

LU needs a parking garage really really really really really really really really really really really really BADDD!!!!!!!!!

But if the administration feels we can afford the move and truly believes we can successfully pull off the move then lets do it! I mean why not? Let's be the best we can be.

I'm guessing Lamar will try to line up some more big donors to help fund this.  The football stadium will need to be expanded within 5 years if they want to be in a FBS conference.  They are scheduled to start renovating Vincent-Beck this year I believe, then build a softball field in a year or two, then they could expand the football stadium in stages after that.  The Montagne Center needs a new scoreboard otherwise it's WAC worthy.  Also, coaches salaries will need to be increased.  But all this can be done over 4 or 5 years, not all at once.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="942887" timestamp="1294256365"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=78316.msg942854#msg942854 date=1294253688]
I can say this, even though it's off subject, the place needs a parking garage.. BAD.

But after saying that, LU will be in the WAC.  :)
[/quote]

No, you're wrong.

LU needs a parking garage really really really really really really really really really really really really BADDD!!!!!!!!!

But if the administration feels we can afford the move and truly believes we can successfully pull off the move then lets do it! I mean why not? Let's be the best we can be.
[/quote]

All the stuff that needs to be done, will be done. It will be non stop construction on campus and it will be hectic.. But it will be worth it in 5 years when they're in the WAC and the school is one of the finer institutions in the state.

As for the parking garage.. All those temporary lots are perfect locations. Garages aren't the biggest buildings, square footage wise, they're just built UP. Put up a couple 2 or 3 level parking garages. It has to be done with the expanding amount of students.
This is a comparable situation.. My junior college has 200 on campus parking spots, and over 1,000 students.. Security has a field day. Where do they expect people to park? It's quite funny walking along the roads and seeing torn up parking tickets on the ground. It's called a parking problem, lots of schools have them. But Lamar really needs to make changes.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="942932" timestamp="1294261138"]
new mex st, idaho, utah st, san diego st...........? big mistake

these schools, along with LU, barely meet attendance requirements for FBS..idaho doesnt...........

idaho 12.5k,ut st 15.9k,nm st 16k

its the [b]who gives a rat's rump[/b] conference
[/quote]

aww come on dude..dont u know if we go FBS we will get texas, alabama, a&m and maybe auburn to come to beaumont  ;D

seriously...if the administration thinks this is the best move for lamar and we get an invite...i will support 100%

[quote name="coachacola" post="942902" timestamp="1294257145"]
I'm guessing Lamar will try to line up some more big donors to help fund this.  The football stadium will need to be expanded within 5 years if they want to be in a FBS conference.  They are scheduled to start renovating Vincent-Beck this year I believe, then build a softball field in a year or two, then they could expand the football stadium in stages after that.  The Montagne Center needs a new scoreboard otherwise it's WAC worthy.  Also, coaches salaries will need to be increased.  But all this can be done over 4 or 5 years, not all at once.
[/quote]
Walter Umphrey and a couple of his friends could fund the whole deal out of their petty cash accounts.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="942952" timestamp="1294263335"]
besides the auto invite to play eastern or western michigan in the Beefo'Brady bowl...whats the point of this conference??

crappy football, baseball, basketball

southland or sunbelt
[/quote]

The WAC has better football, baseball and basketball than the Southland, even without the departing schools.  The Sun Belt doesn't have any openings so that's not an option.

[quote name="coachacola" post="942970" timestamp="1294265287"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78316.msg942952#msg942952 date=1294263335]
besides the auto invite to play eastern or western michigan in the Beefo'Brady bowl...whats the point of this conference??

southland or sunbelt
[/quote]

The WAC has better football, baseball and basketball than the Southland, even without the departing schools.  The Sun Belt doesn't have any openings so that's not an option.
[/quote]

Totally agree with you coach. Plus, there was is going to be a western and eastern division in the WAC so we won't be playing teams in the western division every year.

Not so fast says Simmons ...

[quote]“They have not contacted me,” Lamar president Jimmy Simmons said. “We had mentioned before that we’d be open to anything that would give us the ability to change direction and move up. At this point, until they make a definitive offer, there’s nothing to discuss.”

“I haven’t talked with anyone,” added Lamar athletic director Larry Tidwell.[/quote]

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/01/05/lamar-to-wac-not-so-fast-says-simmons/

[quote name="coachacola" post="942997" timestamp="1294269033"]
Not so fast says Simmons ...

[quote]“They have not contacted me,” Lamar president Jimmy Simmons said. “We had mentioned before that we’d be open to anything that would give us the ability to change direction and move up. At this point, until they make a definitive offer, there’s nothing to discuss.”

“I haven’t talked with anyone,” added Lamar athletic director Larry Tidwell.[/quote]

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/01/05/lamar-to-wac-not-so-fast-says-simmons/
[/quote]

I guess Lazeek was pulling our leg? It was his post that made it sound like a done deal.

The WAC will be holding meetings in San Antonio later this month so any offer would probably happen after that.  The WAC will find out soon if they retain their auto-bid, so I bet Lamar wants to wait until that issue is cleared up before making a decision.  Simmons has to be tight-lipped until something is official because they still have to deal with the SLC.

[quote name="UNLV" post="943041" timestamp="1294273999"]Go suck an egg Terror....lol.
[/quote]

So, where is Lamar going to play Arkansas? Are they going to play in Little Rock? Or perhaps in Jonesboro? It has to be on Arkansas turf - just ask Monroe about their home game...  :D

Waiting for you to own up to the fallacies of your previous statement...

Perhaps Lamar can play Florida State in Miami, Fla. and call it a home game.... ;)

[quote name="coachacola" post="942970" timestamp="1294265287"]

southland or sunbelt
[/quote]

[/quote]

please elaborate!  the WAC ranks barely above the sunbelt in baseball ...and that is with the big dogs still in the WAc..take away the teams leaving you aint got squat....football...one, if not the ONE, worst attendance records of any FBS conference..i'll give ya bball..cuz we got roc

Excellent point Terror, Lamar needs to start talking to FBS schools right now. I'm not sure how much more
I can take Lamar playing these NAIA schools. Texas vs Lamar at reliant dome. Even an expanded Cardinal stadium
is just too small for UT vs Lamar.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="943112" timestamp="1294282628"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=78316.msg942970#msg942970 date=1294265287]

southland or sunbelt
[/quote]

[/quote]

please elaborate!  the WAC ranks barely above the sunbelt in baseball ...and that is with the big dogs still in the WAc..take away the teams leaving you aint got squat....football...one, if not the ONE, worst attendance records of any FBS conference..i'll give ya bball..cuz we got roc
[/quote]A weak WAC makes it easier for Lamar to get in a ESPN Bowl game.

In another thread Coachcola posted that the NCAA would determine in a few weeks if the WAC would keep its AQ to the BB tourney.  Based on what would they loose it.  Looking at the conference standings they currently have nine teams this year and even if they are loosing three they will be picking up two with TS-San Marc and UTSA.  There are already AQ conferences with eight teams.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124